Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:

There's no way he returns to us IMO. It seemed to me that the entire club knew he was going and allowed for celebrations to be done at the Skilton in a way that would be pretty embarrassing to have him return. For us and him - and he clearly wants to leave and move on with his career.

I actually think North are in the stronger position here - Parker asked to be traded and although we didn't outright say "we will make sure that we trade you", all of the club's behaviour has been geared towards farewelling him and communicating to the fans (and Parker) that he is going to be traded.

Based on that, it's us who need to agree to swallow our pride and make the trade happen, as I see it. And frankly, pick 44 vs pick 62 is minimal in its effect on our draft hand.

There's no way he returns to us IMO. It seemed to me that the entire club knew he was going and allowed for celebrations to be done at the Skilton in a way that would be pretty embarrassing to have him return. For us and him - and he clearly wants to leave and move on with his career.

I actually think North are in the stronger position here - Parker asked to be traded and although we didn't outright say "we will make sure that we trade you", all of the club's behaviour has been geared towards farewelling him and communicating to the fans that he is going.

Based on that, it's us who need to agree to swallow our pride and make the trade happen, as I see it. And frankly, pick 44 vs pick 62 is minimal in its effect on our draft hand.

Yeah we've handled this terribly.

! it was about him going missing again ! on a big long time contract
No, it's about you criticizing Hayward every opportunity you get, but woe betide anybody that criticises your boy Papley - who in my opinion, was as MISSING in the GF as Hayward was.

I’m glad we’re showing some fight. It’s the first time we’ve showed some fight since the first two goals kicked in the Grand Final.

But shame they delisted Curtis Taylor. Luke Parker for Curtis Taylor and Pick 62 would have sufficed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think North are in the stronger position here - Parker asked to be traded and although we didn't outright say "we will make sure that we trade you", all of the club's behaviour has been geared towards farewelling him and communicating to the fans (and Parker) that he is going to be traded.

Not sure about clearly wants to leave. IIRC he said in an interview he was surprised by the Swans stance. If the door closes on this he returns in and tries to be a first 22 next year. I don’t think it’s embarrassing at all. North are the instigators here and also need to respect the player……Only our recruiting team know if those draft sections have a significant impact.

End of the day the deal will get done I am sure and Luke will play a Hodge role at the Kangas and they will be better off for it and we will lose a little bit of soul but we will get over it.

I’m glad we’re showing some fight. It’s the first time we’ve showed some fight since the first two goals kicked in the Grand Final.

But shame they delisted Curtis Taylor. Luke Parker for Curtis Taylor snd Pick 62 would have sufficed
We can get Taylor for nothing if he was considered valuable fo4 us.

Our club simply can not be acting offended at being offered pick 62 for a 32 year old who played a whopping total of 3 good games this season and we were happy to leave in the VFL for a while.

Just show some respect to Parker and get the deal done FFS.
…………..,,& get his ridiculous final year salary we were forced into accepting last contract renewal off our books

Would be nice to keep Parker and get Taylor for nothing and laugh at the Kangaroos :)
Let’s face it, there is plenty to laugh at, I can’t get enough of that cheer squad video…kanga kanga kanga …..fmd.

Our club simply can not be acting offended at being offered pick 62 for a 32 year old who played a whopping total of 3 good games this season and we were happy to leave in the VFL for a while.

Just show some respect to Parker and get the deal done FFS.
Yep, this.

Obviously we've disagreed on Parker through the year, but given how it's played out, we don't have a leg to stand on here.

If we didn't acknowledge his career and he left then we'd look worse. I'm sure all parties are aware this deal might not happen. Although very unlikely.

I don't get the disrespect comments either since he's still playing regular afl footy in a premiership challenging team.

I think we've shown him respect by acknowledging & celebrating his career while allowing him to explore his future options eventhough he's great depth.

Imo it's not ideal to lose someone like Parker when you're in a premiership window.

Yep, this.

Obviously we've disagreed on Parker through the year, but given how it's played out, we don't have a leg to stand on here.
I can understand why people see it as a "if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen" case. Parker remains a Swan and him playing his 300th game in red & white is back on. Happy days.

But I think there is actually quite a lot riding on this, mainly for Parker himself. We are clearly in a very different position to North. If Parker gets squeezed out of the best 22 next year and ends up in the VFL, at 33 by the end of the year, he'd be lucky to even get a new contract with us, let alone with North or anyone else. They're unlikely to come knocking again by that point. We'd have literally robbed a stalwart of the chance to extend his career and secure his playing future for another 2 years... all over an 18-pick difference in the draft.

I can understand why people see it as a "if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen" case. Parker remains a Swan and him playing his 300th game in red & white is back on. Happy days.

But I think there is actually quite a lot riding on this, mainly for Parker himself. We are clearly in a very different position to North. If Parker gets squeezed out of the best 22 next year and ends up in the VFL, at 33 by the end of the year, he'd be lucky to even get a new contract with us, let alone with North or anyone else. They're unlikely to come knocking again by that point. We'd have literally robbed a stalwart of the chance to extend his career and secure his playing future for another 2 years... all over an 18-pick difference in the draft.

He's still contracted to us. The club comes first. He could also be a locked in top 22 player and be offered another contracts. He could also win a premiership with us. He could go to North, be stuck in their vfl and regrett his move.

The club has to be the no.1 priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back