Traded #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:

There's been a fair bit of talk over the past few weeks about Bloods culture, whether it still exists, or if it ever did. If ever there was a player who exemplified what that culture is all about, it's Parker. Just an honest footballer who never shied away from the contest and put his head over the ball time and time again.

A brilliant leader on the field and by all accounts an exceptional person and club man off it. He might not have put up the gaudy contested numbers of JPK or had clean skills like Hanners but he did a bit of everything and did it well.

No matter what side of the fence you fell on regarding his place in the side this season I think we can all agree it's a damn shame that he'll be playing #300 in something other than Swans colours.

I'm going to miss him terribly and won't cope that well seeing him run out onto the SCG for the opposition next year.

It's a crying Swans fan comforting a mourning swan.
Or some "self soothing" . 🤷‍♂️

Anyways if you type 'crying swan' into the gif search that's what pops up.
Lol nah, I get that. And it captures the sentiment perfectly. I just couldn't get the thought out of my head that it was representing a 60 yo swans fans with moobs crying over Luke Parker. The boobs/moobs just make the image awkward. It does capture sadness well. It's almost poetic. Just not sure why they added the moobs lol

Maybe Parker moving on hasn't hit me yet and it will take until next year and him running out for his 300th till it sinks in but im just very muted on the deal atm. Doesn't feel like an objective loss or gain

There's been a fair bit of talk over the past few weeks about Bloods culture, whether it still exists, or if it ever did. If ever there was a player who exemplified what that culture is all about, it's Parker. Just an honest footballer who never shied away from the contest and put his head over the ball time and time again.

A brilliant leader on the field and by all accounts an exceptional person and club man off it. He might not have put up the gaudy contested numbers of JPK or had clean skills like Hanners but he did a bit of everything and did it well.

No matter what side of the fence you fell on regarding his place in the side this season I think we can all agree it's a damn shame that he'll be playing #300 in something other than Swans colours.

I'm going to miss him terribly and won't cope that well seeing him run out onto the SCG for the opposition next year.
I was just thinking today he's maybe the last true Blood. I can't think of any in the current crop that exemplify that culture sadly.

Parker from 2014-2016 was elite and a constant source of entertainment. And a really nice counter to the JPK & Hanners one-two combo with his tendency to do the spectacular on the regular.
He was elite well beyond that.

Luke Parker:

Drafted in at pick 40
Traded out for pick 44

290+ games. All Australian. 3 times B&F winner. A premiership. Brownlow runner-up.

And still his value falls by 4 picks.

Tough business. 😋

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Parker:

Drafted in at pick 40
Traded out for pick 44

290+ games. All Australian. 3 times B&F winner. A premiership. Brownlow runner-up.

And still his value falls by 4 picks.

Tough business. 😋
To be fair pick 44 was pick 40 before free agency compensation. So really it’s break even.

The interview of him giddy with excitement at being traded is a dagger through the heart.

All was not well between Luke and the Swans...
Parker could easily have been staring into the abyss this time next year, aged 33 with no contract. He now has a guaranteed two extra years onto his career. I'd say he's right to be feeling pretty giddy.

Parker could easily have been staring into the abyss this time next year, aged 33 with no contract. He now has a guaranteed two extra years onto his career. I'd say he's right to be feeling pretty giddy.
It suggests to see him go but if I was him even with his love for Sydney he was potentially looking at:

Sydney: 1 year 700 with potential 1 year deals of 400k after
North: 3 years 2 million

One nets an guaranteed extra 1.3m so its not like he made a dumb financial decision

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back