Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

Definitely. He's really added they physicality to his game this year. Also seems to have improved his fitness a little too and is involved for longer.

At the ground yesterday I noticed so many times yesterday he presented as an option for the overlap completely unmarked by the opposition which shows how hard he works.

Career best for tackles yesterday with 7 which hasn’t really been his strong card. Another good sign.

Tough and skillful. Loved his game and his role in the side - he plays inside, outside, forward, back, wing, run-with, link-man - so invaluable we can chuck him anywhere.

Tough and skillful. Loved his game and his role in the side - he plays inside, outside, forward, back, wing, run-with, link-man - so invaluable we can chuck him anywhere.

Could not agree more.
Not that I think he's soft at all but I've had reservations about his willingness to roll his sleeves up and get his hands dirty when needed. This year I feel he has demonstrated a proficiency in all aspects of the game and is timing his involvements perfectly.
I've posted in other threads that the support play of the outer ring of players i.e. JMac, Lloydy, JJ, Errol, early on Braeden, has, imo, been under-appreciated and JMac has consistently been at the forefront of it.

Could not agree more.
Not that I think he's soft at all but I've had reservations about his willingness to roll his sleeves up and get his hands dirty when needed. This year I feel he has demonstrated a proficiency in all aspects of the game and is timing his involvements perfectly.
I've posted in other threads that the support play of the outer ring of players i.e. JMac, Lloydy, JJ, Errol, early on Braeden, has, imo, been under-appreciated and JMac has consistently been at the forefront of it.

very important player, probably underrated, even overlooked by opposition teams/fans, but his running and link play is very much a part of why we're going so well

The only criticism I have of Justin is the way he kicks the ball. Not the skill of hitting the target, as he is a very good kick, but the execution of lifting the ball before lowering again before executing the kick means that it’s slower from hand to foot. Most of the time not an issue but if it needs to be fast sometimes it can catch him out (and did once last night).

Just a general comment.

Otherwise, can play anywhere, skillful, great runner, absolute gun. Love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im with you

Heeney Warner Gulden get the press and rightly so , Rowbottom even at times gets a mention.

But Jmac is a grade imo too. Very underrated , top 50 in the comp.

Also very versatile, can plug a gap anywhere .

Im with you

Heeney Warner Gulden get the press and rightly so , Rowbottom even at times gets a mention.

But Jmac is a grade imo too. Very underrated , top 50 in the comp.

Also very versatile, can plug a gap anywhere .
Points made by Longmire in his presser.

JMac is having an excellent year.

Points made by Longmire in his presser.

JMac is having an excellent year.
I reckon when Rampe retires I will be very sad. But I have always thought of McInerney as a very capable replacement. Some have mentioned Mills but Mills does not have Rampe pace which is sometimes desperately needed on that last line of defence. McInerney has toughened up. Another plus. Both Mills and McInerney could fill the huge void of Rampe's absence but I lean towards McInerney because of his pace. He can play anywhere.

I reckon when Rampe retires I will be very sad. But I have always thought of McInerney as a very capable replacement. Some have mentioned Mills but Mills does not have Rampe pace which is sometimes desperately needed on that last line of defence. McInerney has toughened up. Another plus. Both Mills and McInerney could fill the huge void of Rampe's absence but I lean towards McInerney because of his pace. He can play anywhere.
That thought has never crossed my mind. Now that it has:
Ball in hand I can see it.
Closing speed?
Ability to close mark?
Leadership?
Worth considering but I would need to see him more FT in defence. Until then I'll stick with Mills.

I don't see this tbh. Some of Rampe's strengths are his ability to contest the ball in the air, to help the other talls in the air so that nobody is on an island too much in one on ones, to play on guys way bigger than him and guys way smaller than him and compete very hard, and his ability to marshall and control the defence. I don't see McInerney as being of that calibre in those areas. He's a wingman who can play all over the ground and a bloody good player, but the answer for who replaces Rampe is staring us right in the face: Blakey is the natural replacement for Rampe to control and marshall this defence for the next decade IMO.

Last edited:
I don't see this tbh. Some of Rampe's strengths are his ability to contest the ball in the air, to help the other talls in the air so that nobody is on an island too much in one on ones, to play on guys way bigger than him and guys way smaller than him and compete very hard, and his ability to marshall and control the defence. I don't see McInerney as being of that calibre in those areas. He's a wingman who can play all over the ground and a bloody good player, but the answer for who replaces Rampe is staring us right in the face: Blakey is the natural replacement for Rampe to control and marshall this defence for the next decade IMO.
He might be able to do it (I genuinely don't know) but would we want to sacrifice what he offers on the exit? Being able to play loose?
The general (in the military analogy) is a stay at home. Not sure that would be a good trade. I'm still thinking Mills, or McCartin at a pinch.

He might be able to do it (I genuinely don't know) but would we want to sacrifice what he offers on the exit? Being able to play loose?
The general (in the military analogy) is a stay at home. Not sure that would be a good trade. I'm still thinking Mills, or McCartin at a pinch.
I like Blakey better when he is free to run and attack. I just don't see him as a natural replacement for Rampe. He already has his own role.
Rampe is a bit like Gilchrist. He broke the mould of keeper/batsman.
Rampe has broken the mould of 3rd tall/goal keeper. He has been undersized and played on every key tall known. He has scrambled against the best smalls. You need pace to scramble in defense and go with the smalls on occaision.
I think, atm, McInerney of any player on our list right now is the best fit to replace a Rampe with all of his weapons of height, pace and growing toughness.
I am just putting this out as I value Rampe but in a side in the premiership window it is hard to recruit anyone anywhere near what Rampe produces. So it can only come from within in my opinion. A tougher, smarter, harder Mac is now in vision.

I like Blakey better when he is free to run and attack. I just don't see him as a natural replacement for Rampe. He already has his own role.
Rampe is a bit like Gilchrist. He broke the mould of keeper/batsman.
Rampe has broken the mould of 3rd tall/goal keeper. He has been undersized and played on every key tall known. He has scrambled against the best smalls. You need pace to scramble in defense and go with the smalls on occaision.
I think, atm, McInerney of any player on our list right now is the best fit to replace a Rampe with all of his weapons of height, pace and growing toughness.
I am just putting this out as I value Rampe but in a side in the premiership window it is hard to recruit anyone anywhere near what Rampe produces. So it can only come from within in my opinion. A tougher, smarter, harder Mac is now in vision.
Well worth putting it out there. You just never know. McInerney came to us as a HBF and he plays back when needed so I doubt it would be a huge stretch. I think the only real question is whether it's part of the best use of our cattle.
BTW agree with you about recruiting a replacement. Very unlikely.

No chance m8

But he's good again
Best winger in the comp right now. Name someone better

Find it odd the media was fawning over Langdon as the best in the comp a couple years ago for being a competent wingman. imo Jmac is now that player if not better with more strings to his bow, yet we barely hear a whisper. Not a bad thing tho i'd rather he stay under the radar until signed long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back