Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

I think they can do a pretty decent test for an ACL without the use of scans.

It's easier to diagnose as you lose the stability in your knee along with a lot of function but this is more common for full tears.

A fully torn PCL isn’t all that much better than an ACL.

Here’s hoping it’s a minor tear & he’ll be back prior to finals.
My tip is minor or strain. You can see the moment it happened which was the attempted spoil and then landing directly on a bent knee (which is how it tends to happen). He then stands up on the mark under no discomfort what so ever and only goes down once moving laterally. If he snapped the PCL he would'n't have gotten up after the initial fall.

Whilst everyone is bathing in the norf match glory this is literally the only thing on my mind, so nervous about it.

My tip is minor or strain. You can see the moment it happened which was the attempted spoil and then landing directly on a bent knee (which is how it tends to happen). He then stands up on the mark under no discomfort what so ever and only goes down once moving laterally. If he snapped the PCL he would'n't have gotten up after the initial fall.

Whilst everyone is bathing in the norf match glory this is literally the only thing on my mind, so nervous about it.
I know nothing about PCL injuries (or any other injuries really), but he didn't seem overly discomforted by it or terribly distressed either.
I know that doesn't mean much, many seemingly innocuous incidents can turn out to be very serious, but his reaction to it both at the time and after the game, make me feel that it's not too bad.

Of course now I've said that, he'll be out for the rest of the season and half of next year as well :rolleyes:

I know nothing about PCL injuries (or any other injuries really), but he didn't seem overly discomforted by it or terribly distressed either.
I know that doesn't mean much, many seemingly innocuous incidents can turn out to be very serious, but his reaction to it both at the time and after the game, make me feel that it's not too bad.

Of course now I've said that, he'll be out for the rest of the season and half of next year as well :rolleyes:
Even when a full tear you can still operate without a PCL once pain subsides. If its a full tear i suspect they will say hold off on surgery until end of season and give him a chance to play strapped up in finals.

Will either be 4-6 full recovery of a partial tear/strain, or a 4-6 waiting for symptoms to subside before playing strapped up. anyways that's enough guessing just hoping to get an update today. In melbourne the media would've been all over it but he seems to be flying under the radar and will likely have no one following him out of the scan.

Really hoping it's just a month or so off and he's back before finals. He's really taken another step this year and become one of the best wingmen in the comp. Hard running, sublime skills & a hard edge at the contest.

I wonder how we'll structure up the team in his absence. The good thing is we do actually have quite a few options to change things up in Campbell, Lloyd & Mills. Campbell has improved the past few weeks and might be ready to take the next step up in that position.

Really hoping it's just a month or so off and he's back before finals. He's really taken another step this year and become one of the best wingmen in the comp. Hard running, sublime skills & a hard edge at the contest.

I wonder how we'll structure up the team in his absence. The good thing is we do actually have quite a few options to change things up in Campbell, Lloyd & Mills. Campbell has improved the past few weeks and might be ready to take the next step up in that position.

Would also consider Caiden Cleary too in that role, yopu would expect Campbell to get first crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even when a full tear you can still operate without a PCL once pain subsides. If its a full tear i suspect they will say hold off on surgery until end of season and give him a chance to play strapped up in finals.

Will either be 4-6 full recovery of a partial tear/strain, or a 4-6 waiting for symptoms to subside before playing strapped up. anyways that's enough guessing just hoping to get an update today. In melbourne the media would've been all over it but he seems to be flying under the radar and will likely have no one following him out of the scan.
Goodes played with a PCL, but could basically only run in straight lines.

I see absolutely no way a winger like McI could be effective if his lateral movement was limited.

Here's a quote from (then) team doctor Nathan Gibbs re: Goodes, from back in 2012:

1721004537790.png

Crossing my fingers for JMac - saw him in the pre-season game and could tell he was so determined to become a permanent member of the team (as they were coming off, Robbie Fox told him "No way they can't pick you after that" to which JM responded "F*** yeh!" - funny stuff).

Has had his best year for sure and a really important part of our running and pressure game.

Crossing my fingers for JMac - saw him in the pre-season game and could tell he was so determined to become a permanent member of the team (as they were coming off, Robbie Fox told him "No way they can't pick you after that" to which JM responded "F*** yeh!" - funny stuff).

Has had his best year for sure and a really important part of our running and pressure game.

Wouldn't have made the side but he'd have been an outside chance for the AA side this year. Gulden is one wing and then it's who on earth knows.

Only had the scan today and Sydney are always very slow with injury news so we will probably find out at 5pm on Tuesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back