AFL Player #27: Mason Redman 🐕

Remove this Banner Ad

The rule he's been pinged under for anyone interested:

The Player being tackled is in a vulnerable position (e.g. arm(s) pinned)
with little opportunity to protect himself;

He had opportunity to protect himself, he just chose to hold on to the football over cushioning his fall with his free arm.

Edit: what @nylexbandit earlier

Last edited:
Bont attempted a handball literally before Redman took him on, thereby establishing prior, to which point the umpire let it linger on when the outcome should have been a quick HTB and thereby giving Redman the deserved outcome and a prevention of any fall.

Bont isn't a small guy, you allow enough time to linger after incorrectly non-calling ball and they will eventually struggle to the ground, to which point he was able to take his disposal and see out the game.

Appeal with the force of a thousand suns. If anything the umpire should be given a warning for making such a shit call and told to be better at his job.

We should have a 2's for umpires and make them keep their spots through doing their jobs well just as we do for players. They should fear for their spot being taken by up and coming umps who will gladly work to be better.

If you're shit at your job and couldn't care less about consenquences, you'd be demoted or sacked, why should the case be any different for umpires.

Fair enough it's a tough job but so are a lot of jobs and it isn't an excuse to be lazy. If you can't take that on then the job just isn't made for you. There are tons of people who will gladly slide into position if given a chance, spare me the endangered species talk.

You only need one arm pinned to tick that box.
You need to be in a vulnerable position + have little opportunity to protect yourself - otherwise it would just say 'the player being tackled is in a vulnerable position'. I see this as, for example, having 1 armed pinned and being driven forward. I can't accept that you automatically have little opportunity to protect yourself as soon as you have an arm pinned, particularly where your other arm is capable of protecting in the context of the tackle.

He had opportunity to protect himself, he just chose to hold on to the football over cushioning his fall with his free arm.

Edit: what @nylexbandit earlier
So if he dropped it play on?

Pinned the arm so Bont couldn't protect himself, head bounced into the turf. 🤷‍♂️

Pretty clear cut dangerous tackle under the letter of the law. Impact makes no sense.

No, he pinned the arm so he could not dispose of the ball, with the contact to the ground incidental. I'd argue careless and not intentional, as in Redman intentionally pinned the arm which was careless in the sense that there was a risk for Bont to hit th ground awkwardly.

You need to be in a vulnerable position + have little opportunity to protect yourself - otherwise it would just say 'the player being tackled is in a vulnerable position'. I see this as, for example, having 1 armed pinned and being driven forward. I can't accept that you automatically have little opportunity to protect yourself as soon as you have an arm pinned, particularly where your other arm is capable of protecting in the context of the tackle.
If he drops the ball to protect himself what's your ruling?

No, he pinned the arm so he could not dispose of the ball, with the contact to the ground incidental. I'd argue careless and not intentional, as in Redman intentionally pinned the arm which was careless in the sense that there was a risk for Bont to hit th ground awkwardly.
It was graded careless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, it's the amount of time that umpires are allowing for player with the ball to dispose of it that caused this.

Bont grabs the ball and tries to break the tackle to kick. His arm is pinned, so can't handball, with the angle of his body making it impossible to originate a kick without throwing the ball to his foot. At the time of the tackle ******ing any ability to dispose, it should hav ebeen a simple ball up or HTB.

The fact that umpires are "letting the play go for the sake of optics" (my quote) meant the play continued and the action was made. With all the collisions being removed from the game, I half suspect that the rules like this might come into question when players start suing the comp for concussions. It's a practice that could be managed much better by the rules.

Yeah I think that’s a really great take.

Bont elected not to break his fall with his free arm because he’s still thinking ‘I can get boot to ball here’.

It is a hard one because an element of it is purely ‘little bloke trying to bring down big bloke’ and eventually Redman’s weight has to land somewhere, the only real way not to end up in that position is for Redman to kinda sling or roll himself over the top and smack his own head onto the turf back first with nothing to protect himself.

It’s a football action and I don’t see a feasible alternative in that position given Bont continues to pump his legs and doesn’t give up.

If he drops the ball to protect himself what's your ruling?
My ruling is that we're not having this conversation because he would have braced with his arm because he hadn't been twisted/thrown in a matter that prevented him doing so.

I come back to the point that while we can obviously argue the force should not/cannot be medium, we need to properly argue against the primary classing of this as rough conduct. Otherwise the AFL just needs to make the rule that your cannot bring a player to ground in a tackle at all.

Yeah Nah.

Holding the ball for me.

... but can see what the AFL are trying do. Protect head and player even though the player that is getting tackled is part of the problem by not releasing the ball and protecting themselves.

Even though I almost threw a beer through the TV, my sporting ethos is always to give the benefit of doubt to the attacking team and in this case the ball winner, so I can sort of accept it....

It's just the hypocrisy in relation to elbows and punches and the non-football incidents which cause so much angst.

In relation to everything else, a fine at most. Not sure if the rules allow for this.

My ruling is that we're not having this conversation because he would have braced with his arm because he hadn't been twisted/thrown in a matter that prevented him doing so.

I come back to the point that while we can obviously argue the force should not/cannot be medium, we need to properly argue against the primary classing of this as rough conduct. Otherwise the AFL just needs to make the rule that your cannot bring a player to ground in a tackle at all.
Do you pay a free kick against Bont for dropping or is it play on is what I'm asking.

... but can see what the AFL are trying do. Protect head…

If the AFL was actually serious about wanting to protect the head they would mandate the wearing of helmets.

It’s less to do with the AFL wanting to protect the head as it is them protecting themselves against future liable cases related to concussion by providing an optic that they “tried” to protect the head.

No, incorrect disposal. Why should the tackling player be penalised for the ball carriers choice?
I agree.

But put the AFL hat on. Onus is on the tackler to protect the player being tackled. If Bonts only choices are give away a kick or be thrown to the ground the AFL is always going to blame the bloke who has the "duty of care" which is Redman in this case.

I agree.

But put the AFL hat on. Onus is on the tackler to protect the player being tackled. If Bonts only choices are give away a kick or be thrown to the ground the AFL is always going to blame the bloke who has the "duty of care" which is Redman in this case.

Which would be great if they were consistent about it. They didn't care about the duty of care to Merrett in the third quarter when he was dumped on his head, nor Buddy's doc two weeks ago when he threw an elbow at an opponents head. How that could be rated medium impact when Bontempelli got up, played on and wasn't attended to by the trainers beggars belief. Unless he suffered delayed symptoms, in which case I'd expect he doesn't play this week given the 12 days and all and how much the AFL care about protecting players.

And lets get real, the AFL don't give two shits about protecting players. They care about not getting sued NFL style.

I agree.

I think most reasonable people agree with the whole protect the head mandate.

The AFL don't do it though. They are inconsistent, have their pets and are pretty much downright terrible at enforcing anything consistently.
If they think what they are doing is gonna some how Dave them they are in for a ride shock.

I've given them a lot of kudos for keeping the game running during covid, but they are doing a shocking job of looking after the game which is their charge.

Which would be great if they were consistent about it. They didn't care about the duty of care to Merrett in the third quarter when he was dumped on his head, nor Buddy's doc two weeks ago when he threw an elbow at an opponents head. How that could be rated medium impact when Bontempelli got up, played on and wasn't attended to by the trainers beggars belief. Unless he suffered delayed symptoms, in which case I'd expect he doesn't play this week given the 12 days and all and how much the AFL care about protecting players.

And lets get real, the AFL don't give two shits about protecting players. They care about not getting sued NFL style.
Well Buddy did get a week before it got downgraded, which I suspect Redman will get too. Dont know which Merrett one you're talking about.

I think most reasonable people agree with the whole protect the head mandate.

The AFL don't do it though. They are inconsistent, have their pets and are pretty much downright terrible at enforcing anything consistently.
If they think what they are doing is gonna some how Dave them they are in for a ride shock.

I've given them a lot of kudos for keeping the game running during covid, but they are doing a shocking job of looking after the game which is their charge.
I don't disagree at all. AFL change rules week to week when it suits.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #27: Mason Redman 🐕

Remove this Banner Ad

Back