28 546 at the G: Melb v the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawthorn supporters are known bandwagoners and like to turn up to the big games but not the weekly average games against bottom sides. When they last bottomed out they got 11,000 to a game vs Port Adelaide (The premiers) in 2004 which was even worse and more embarrassing than the abominable Melbourne vs Gold Coast game this year.

Yeah, it appears as though people are voting with their feet when it comes to late starts on Sunday afternoons

Does the AFL care?

They tell us they have a "crowd maximisation policy", but I think a better description would be "Bow to their Channel 7 masters" policy

Why can't they just put the fricken footy on at 2pm?

Hawthorn supporters are known bandwagoners and like to turn up to the big games but not the weekly average games against bottom sides. When they last bottomed out they got 11,000 to a game vs Port Adelaide (The premiers) in 2004 which was even worse and more embarrassing than the abominable Melbourne vs Gold Coast game this year.
Our crowds were awful throughout the entire early 2000s in general thanks to our forced move from Waverley park. This included 2001 where we should've made the GF. Nothing to do with being bandwagoners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a Hawthorn fan who lives in Northern New South Wales and struggled to have much interest in watching it on free to air due to the difference in class between the 2 sides. 28000 is a pretty decent crowd considering how crap the Dees are at the moment. Kinda pointless thread.

Poor old crowd at a poor old game - bringing the game into disrepute?

What sort of membership numbers are these clubs claiming (poor crowd)?

How many of their members were in the AFL reserve ?

How many of their fans preferred the MCC reserve?

Was this game a make up game for the Hawks members to cover the games in Tassie?

Read this, read the poster, saw your team name as West Coast. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyways, most Melbourne supporters would have stayed home, why would you go besides pure loyalty?

Of the claimed members, so few attended - how inflated are club claims?
Clubs should be forced to declare $s v claimed membership numbers. bit of transparency because fans are being fed 5hit & it is believed by so many.

Umm, you could look at our balance sheet or annual report.
I love the jealousy from other clubs.
We are becoming hated like Collingwood used to be.

But yes, lowish crowd. Not much to draw members to today's match. Of the dozen tickets my family has only two were used. And if my 11yo wasn't so keen I would have stayed home as well.
So what? Most boring game ever. It is my prerogative.

Unlike WA, we have a 100k stadium and tickets are not hard to get. We can go whenever we want.
Or stay home.
The passion of WA fans is to be applauded, especially given their clubs' lack of soul/history, but that does not mean anyone is fudging the books. Why would they?

And night melbourne based games are 'too hard' for cats fans ?

I guess to explain it to our friend Kwality, there is a different mindset for Victorian football supporters in general. I get the vibe that Victorian supporters are there for the actual football as much as their team, whereas WA fans (West Coast in particular) seem to be more tribal, 'team' supporters more than football supporters. So while some may see a game against Melbourne as an ability to see your team win big and get all parochial, the mindset over here is more of the disappointment of the impending poor football display.

It also explains the 'Boo' complex as well. West Coast fans seem far more eager to boo at opposition players or umpires at any sign of disadvantage, even if not explicitly unfair, whereas Victorian supporters are more likely to support a good footballing display from both teams without resorting to a droning 'boo'. Remember Jono Brown being booed for coping a knock to the head? Doubt it would ever happen at the G.

Hey muppet, we are the best Club in the League at converting supporters into Members. You wish Geelong had a large supporter base like the Hawks. How about that massive 44,000 that showed up to last year's EF against Fremantle? Now go back to the Bay where you belong dummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back