Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't doubt waites footy ability I doubt his physical ability to stay on the park and provide meaningful contributions and him taking the place of younger guys needing experience.
It was touted by the club that we were making room for our younger guys to play footy so as to retain them and yet here we are, potentially, not allowing a younger forward game time if w8 goes round again.
Hence my statement of mixed messages.
What if Waite is depth?

Bloody hell some of you have turned on Boomer pretty quick.

I haven't turned on Boomer, the player. He will always be one of the best I've seen at North and I'll respect that but the underlining selfishness that has plagued him throughout his career is raring it's ugly head again and i can't stand that.

What if Boomer was?

Neither of them would stick around to play VFL mate.
Maybe all four of Waite, Daw, Brown and Wood will play? Maybe not. But reality is if two of these blokes go down at any stage then we are left with Durdin and McKay as options, one of who is nowhere near ready and the other is a better defender.

The depth issue isn't as much as a concernre Boomer because we have Turner, Garner, Wagner, Anderson, Thomas and Higgins who can play across half forward.

Its up to match committee to balance who plays but id rather have Waite an option for 2017 than McKay or Durdin because they just ain't anywhere near ready whereas those to replace boomer are good to go as long as they are fit.

Boomer that selfish campaigner giving us 400 games of quality. Once again the club can do no wrong according to some posters.

The bloke pushed large contract offers away from other teams to play at NM, he played on endless 1 year deals that were(by the sounds of it) below market value from my understanding and played lights out at a time the club really needed him to just to ****ing survive.

Unreal.

Boomer that selfish campaigner giving us 400 games of quality. Once again the club can do no wrong according to some posters.

The bloke pushed large contract offers away from other teams to play at NM, he played on endless 1 year deals that were(by the sounds of it) below market value from my understanding and played lights out at a time the club really needed him to just to ******* survive.

Unreal.

He was paid handsomely. Don't believe that dribble. Was top 3 paid players all those one year deals.

Boomer's selfishness is for all to see now. Never been a team man and our results show that. Terrible captain and became a self indulgent veteran.

Hang em up Boomer, youre starting to make a complete dick of yourself.
You are a disgrace. Viciously abusing him because he might want to play another season of football.... Aboslutely disgusting. Pull your bloody head in.

What if Waite is depth?
Exactly. Waite was brought in because brown, daw, and black were all having post season surgeries. We couldn't have another season like the one black played with a lame shoulder. Without waite we'd be feeding mckay and durdin to the wolves. Smart move keeping him on.

I wanted boomer to play one more but they are different circumstances. Waite was doing all the right things until his body let him down.

I haven't turned on Boomer, the player. He will always be one of the best I've seen at North and I'll respect that but the underlining selfishness that has plagued him throughout his career is raring it's ugly head again and i can't stand that.
Because he still wants to play AFL football... How selfish. You're pathetic.

It is ****ing farcical how the same people who were (rightly) rabid when Brereton called Harvey selfish his whole career are now calling Boomer selfish themselves.

**** sake, the guy hasn't done anything wrong other than consider playing on when the club has told him he's not wanted anymore (despite admitting he still will probably be in the top few players of the club the next year or two). How dare he want to play on while he still can.

It is ******* farcical how the same people who were (rightly) rabid when Brereton called Harvey selfish his whole career are now calling Boomer selfish themselves.
I'm always curious about claims like this. You've done the research and it's the same people?!

Regardless, it's a different issue. One was about playing style and freedom to have a ping at goals, the other is about forcing the go/no-go decision with the club, then dropping his bundle when he didn't get the answer he wanted. I'm happy to support him in the first, but to also suggest he's displayed less grace in accepting the clubs decision than you would think the AFL all-time games record holder might. Of course he's welcome to play on, and it's not selfish. Disappointing, but not selfish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boomer's a smart businessman, manager might have told him not to speak about it and he will have his tell all on the footy show for some cash.
Can't blame him really, he's out of a job and has obviously taken a pay cut the last few years, could fund a holiday for him.
Don't reckon he'll say anything too controversial, just what happened and how he disagrees with the decision.

You are a disgrace. Viciously abusing him because he might want to play another season of football.... Aboslutely disgusting. Pull your bloody head in.

Have a tissue flog. Its boomer who is the disgrace the way he is acting. Just take a look at how Matthew Boyd is handling the uncertainty and he's had a far better season than Boomer and is 5 years younger. Boomer is being selfish

I'm always curious about claims like this. You've done the research and it's the same people?!

Regardless, it's a different issue. One was about playing style and freedom to have a ping at goals, the other is about forcing the go/no-go decision with the club, then dropping his bundle when he didn't get the answer he wanted. I'm happy to support him in the first, but to also suggest he's displayed less grace in accepting the clubs decision than you would think the AFL all-time games record holder might. Of course he's welcome to play on, and it's not selfish. Disappointing, but not selfish.

So you think the only way he can display 'grace' is by going into the night without a whimper despite having a passion to potentially play on?

I am at a loss here. Harvey HAS accepted the decision. It's not likes he's called for Brad's head or staged a lock-in at the club. He has said he understands the decision. He doesn't agree with it (and why would he? He thinks he can still go around again).

How dare those uppity little pricks want to keep playing!

So you think the only way he can display 'grace' is by going into the night without a whimper despite having a passion to potentially play on?

I am at a loss here. Harvey HAS accepted the decision. It's not likes he's called for Brad's head or staged a lock-in at the club. He has said he understands the decision. He doesn't agree with it (and why would he? He thinks he can still go around again).

How dare those uppity little pricks want to keep playing!
He's more than welcome to go on and I'm not suggesting he doesn't have the right to do so. I think another year elsewhere diminishes his (NMFC) legacy and goes against what he's said previously about retiring once NMFC says that's it. But, once more, he's completely entitled to do so. No problems there.

For me it's the immediate following or coupling of the 'understand the decision' with 'but don't agree with it'.

It may be a subtle distinction for some, but I'd rather have heard 'I fully understand the decision and why the club made it', followed by... 'NMFC has been great to me, it's been a wonderful career here, with great teammates and coaches and I'm really sad to see it finish. I was hoping to go on, and feel like I can, but the club and its future comes first. My own time here has ended, but now it's time for the next lot to get their chance.' Then, 'As Brad said, I'm playing well and because I love playing so much I may consider other options. That'd be a difficult choice, but I'll cross that bridge later.'

If he did say that and I've missed it, I apologise. Maybe he'll say it (tonight)?

Oh well...the thing I can't figure out is how the Club couldn't figure out if he was wanted in around Rd 20.

They had. They just wanted to wait until the season was done to tell him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back