Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Who honestly wasn't cheering like crazy when Choppy tore Brisbane a new one in the 2004 grand final?
Not I. My wedding day. Don't remember much else. Was barracking for Lions in any case.

Right now, he's owes us nothing and can choose his own destiny without in any way affecting his legacy.
To you. I feel differently about such matters.

For the umpteenth time, I agree, he can do what he wants.

AND, to my mind the 'one club player' moniker holds more weight. Thought it did to him too.

Not I. My wedding day. Don't remember much else. Was barracking for Lions in any case.

To you. I feel differently about such matters.

For the umpteenth time, I agree, he can do what he wants.

AND, to my mind the 'one club player' moniker holds more weight. Thought it did to him too.

Fair enough.

If I put myself in his shoes, I'd put continuing to earn a good buck for another year (or maybe two) that I wouldn't get doing anything else ahead of sentiment (important sentiment, but it doesn't pay the bills). Like pretty much everyone else, Boomer would have thought his body would give way before he was given the arse (and at 38 you'd be wondering yourself how the hell that hasn't happened earlier) so this whole scenario probably comes as a bit of a shock to him. So I'm fine with him re-evaluating and thinking about taking the opportunity to line his pockets with another club's cash, even if it means he doesn't get to have the one club moniker.

Bold bit - not it doesn't. Let me throw some names at you:

Martyn
McKernan
Krakouer P
Krakouer J
Daniltchenko

Did any of those North Melbourne superstars diminish their legacy by pulling on another jumper briefly in their twilight years? No. Of course not. We know their ashes will be scattered over Arden Street.

Boomer is the same, albeit not in the same league as Daniltchenko (who is?). Much like Dal with St Kilda, he can pull on any* jumper he likes from from on and he will still bleed royal and white. It doesn't change who he is and where he came from.

* not *essendon of course. That's a paddling.
Ånd of course

CAREY!!

Watched the interview once.

Sounded more like a job interview.

Said he can understand the decision to many times, means he can't understand it.

Said Brad was honest to many times, deep down reckons he's a snake oil salesman.

Didn't thank the fans enough.

I can see how this rubbed people up the wrong way. Since he released his book, which I don't rate, I've emotionally checked out from Boomer.

It is what it is.

He seems to me in two minds about whether to play or not, and I fear that if he doesn't play on, in ten years he'll look back and wish that he did. So I actually hope he plays on somewhere else next year and gets paid shitloads. If he's been taking unders from us for the past few years, one last year of getting paid well might make up for that (even though we all know he doesn't need the money).

And then one of two things happen. Either he wins a flag (I love the little champ, so I wouldn't begrudge him the success he craves) or that he has a below-par year and comes to realise that NMFC was right to let him go, so there are no hard feelings in the years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickett won a premiership with PA. He is a North man and a PA man!!

Most of the other guys had no success or tenure was limited so naturally go back to North. If Boomer goes to the Hawks or Bulldogs and wins a premiership he is no longer an exclusive North legend at all. He also has a major history at he dogs and Hawks and sorry that ain't the same in my book.

This guy has a chance to retire at the top a legend of he club he risks that status by playing elsewhere imo.

Jake Niall has given the club a clip after he's copped it on social media re his opinion all things North.
Stated the Hawks treat their legends the right way, leaving a genuine legacy.

Very easy to do after three flags. Gibson, Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne have, to varying extents, dropped off a bit.

Very easy to do after three flags. Gibson, Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne have, to varying extents, dropped off a bit.
Hodge and Mitchells year were okayish. Good final series for both tho.
Gibson is the one who is lucky to play on. Was average all year round.
Burgoyne should win their BnF. Was fantastic.
Lewis had no better year than Gibson.
According to Niall, Hawthorn has shown genuine class in not calling time on these players career.
I hope they fall off a cliff next year personally.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back