Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
gokangas said:
DON'T MENTION DAVEY - just put me off my dinner.

I remember watching Davey at port melbourne, and i thought this kid is a shoe in, i get my AFL 2004 book and it says he was selected at Melbourne. I'm like WTF, bloody shane harvey you essendon hack

I herd from a mate who played at there junior club that they thought shane was going to be better because he broke brents goal kicking record

rooboy_88 said:
I remember watching Davey at port melbourne, and i thought this kid is a shoe in, i get my AFL 2004 book and it says he was selected at Melbourne. I'm like WTF, bloody shane harvey you essendon hack

I herd from a mate who played at there junior club that they thought shane was going to be better because he broke brents goal kicking record
well i'm sure he'll live off that achievement for the rest of his life

scottywiper said:
Was extremely disappointed with Boomer today.
Appeared to have both skis on, turning the ball over and showing little interest in getting it back.
Has class, but might need a week in the VFL to rediscover his hunger.

He is lazy and soft.
I don't care why. Reasons/excuses might exist and be genuine but don't help the club.
Trade him while the footy world thinks he's a gun.

He and Shagga will be good trade bait this year.

scottywiper said:
His brother had no one to blame but himself. Boomer should be happy we tried him, it did cost us Davey.

And every time Laidley gets bagged for missing Davey, we have to remember that it was a personal favour to Boomer.

Boomer is a receiver, I hardly ever see him getting his own ball. He is very soft, doesn't chase, deflects from any foreseen contests and can't stick a tackle.
What he can do is run the lines, set up foward attacks and accurately pass the ball. That's what he should be used for.
If tagged he dissapears, when our midfield steps up and supports him to lose the tag, he then cleans up.

pharro said:
And every time Laidley gets bagged for missing Davey, we have to remember that it was a personal favour to Boomer.
We also have to remember about 10 other clubs were guilty of the same blunder.But I do have to admit its annoying to think back about it, and then look at what we have now of the same, Leigh Harding.A guy with the finishing skills of an elderly immobile disable.

Did not get out of a trot other than when he was definitely going to get the ball. Didn't chase, didn't run into space, doesn't deserve a game next week. How many times did Denis or has Dean had to start Boomer on the bench to send a message?

Had such a complete year in 2005, it's so disappointing to see our best player put in shockers like this so often.

I think all of the senior players are letting us down - except for Arch, he may cough it up a couple of times but he always goes in hard.
Shagga was a little better today but still not match winning Shagga, what has happened to Rawlings? Is he :D:D:D:Dty because his brother is playing in the seconds - Simpson - well enough said, Boomer it has all has been written.
Rumour has it that the Senior players went to the board through the week themselves and a father of one of the players not playing seniors at the minute through injury has also said that the senior players are NOT HAPPY - yes I know rumour and innuendo but where there is smoke there is fire.
I thought that we may have got a reprieve from the bad press this week because of how the Cats and the Blues are going, but Dean sure put paid to that by his little altercation with the pi$$ed yobbo.
If I see Wayne Carey at training this week - Schimma Gate will well and truly be on as thats what happened the week that Schimma was sacked.
Denis was watching from afar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is funny. Last week it was Simmo. This week its Boomer. Lets get rid of the players that have carried this team for the last half dozen years.

Wake up you idiots!

Its our middle tear players that are the problem. Plus the fact that there is not enough quality young blokes coming through.

P.S Simmo, Rawlings, Harvey & Grant are our top 4 possesion getters this year.

speedy said:
This is funny. Last week it was Simmo. This week its Boomer. Lets get rid of the players that have carried this team for the last half dozen years.

Wake up you idiots!

Its our middle tear players that are the problem. Plus the fact that there is not enough quality young blokes coming through.

P.S Simmo, Rawlings, Harvey & Grant are our top 4 possesion getters this year.

And yet it was impossible to ignore how bad Harvey was today.
I have never had a go at him before, but he simply wasn't up for it today.

Speedy - idiots are we - were you there, have you been there at all this year?
SO a bloke has 40 possessions 30 of which either go to the opposition or put your team mate under enormous pressure or just go nowhere and thats good enough.
Wake up and smell the roses - possessions need to be disposed of correctly to have an impact and our disposal by blokes (senior ones previously mentioned) who you say have carried the team for years (and I agree they have) are less than satisfactory. Not sure where their skill level has disappeared to but they cannot hit a target. Is it any wonder that Thommo had 3 blokes on him by the time it got to him, they :D:D:D:D fart around with it so much the opposition have time to get back on him.
Not sure they are solely to blame, plus a coaching issue but someone needs to sort it out quick smart.

scottywiper said:
And yet it was impossible to ignore how bad Harvey was today.
I have never had a go at him before, but he simply wasn't up for it today.

I have no problem with that scottywiper. But people calling for Harvey, Grant, etc to be traded is just plain stupid. These guys have had to carry this team for too long. Thats the real problem.

Shagger was good today and usually always is when he stays closer to goal.

KEEP HIM THERE!

Boomer was poor, fact.

Boomer is overrated, fact.

Boomer has always been overrated, fact.

scottywiper said:
His brother had no one to blame but himself. Boomer should be happy we tried him, it did cost us Davey.

and what round did Davey get selected ? this Davey excuse is nothing more than scapegoating. this same excuse could be leveled with alot of other players in the AFL.

KangaFett said:
and what round did Davey get selected ? this Davey excuse is nothing more than scapegoating. this same excuse could be leveled with alot of other players in the AFL.

There is no doubt we would have rookied Davey had we not rookied Harvey.
And I have no issue with that, them's the breaks in the AFL, as you suggest.
All I was responding to was a post suggesting Boomer's form was down because he was upset his brother was cut. I was simply rejecting that, given that even Boomer knew Shane wasted his chance.

It has to be said that the guy is overrated.

This guy has really flown under the radar whilst Petrie, Harding and Hay have taken all the flack.

Personally, I rate Harveys input this year as not much better, or even inferior to these guys.

Handy footballer, but he really struggles with a hard tag.

Widely regarded as our best onballer, I would rate just about every other clubs best onballer ahead of him.

Essuden is the only club that I rate as having a prime midfielder of lesser quality.

Who wouldn't swap Harvey for:

Adelaide - Goodwin
Brisbane - Black
Carlton - Stevens/Murphy
Collingwood - Buckley
Essendon - None
Fremantle - Carr
Geelong - Take your pick
Hawthorn - Hodge
Melbourne - McLean
Port Adelaide - K.Cornes
Richmond - Deledio
St Kilda - Take your pick
Sydney - Bolton
West Coast - Take your pick
Western Bulldogs - West/Cooney

This is the player that is expendable and will get us a high draft pick.

Understand your frustration, but we don't want to tell loyal and prime players who are reaching their twilight years, to nick off. We only lose guns when they want to leave for whatever reason. We don't move them on. Schwatta was the most recent one, which still hurts, but it isn't a common practice.

What we need to do is find 3-4 new midfielders over the next 2 years that have pace, skill and vision. Harvey due to his size should not be used as a prime midfielder any more. He has been buffeted around for years and is probably feeling it at the moment. His class and skill is unquestioned, what is questioned is his work ethic at the moment, with the inclusion of youth and enthusiasm, that would change in a hurry. Let Boomer become a coaster around the forward line. He could be that crumber we so desperatly need. We don't want to lose him now, he must finish his career with us imo.

Get rid of Harding and blood some midfielders over the coming years. Imagine how formidable we will be if we are able to find some new midfielders. Can't tag everyone!

Wrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back