Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not working hard enough.

Played some really tough games last year. Worked harder, pushed himself to contents and lead from the front. Just can't be bothered doing that ATM. In a side both lacking leaders and stars, for a bloke who is potentially both, he really piisses me.

Re: Brent Harvey - Ready for a Jailbreak?

Overated or whatever you wanna call it, I still don't buy the notion spelled out last week by the board that 'ALL the players are BEHIND JYD' ....that's BS. More like 'All the Players are behind JYD BARS. Boomer seems to have lost complete interest in playing to JYD's prison gameplan that's one reason I think JYD has lost his players. I'm not gonna dump on Boomer & the rest of the team. I feel for the players like Boomer. They're all JYD's prisoners now. Dragging on a ball & chain.

Woodson said:
Overated or whatever you wanna call it, I still don't buy the notion spelled out last week by the board that 'ALL the players are BEHIND JYD' ....that's BS. More like 'All the Players are behind JYD BARS. Boomer seems to have lost complete interest in playing to JYD's prison gameplan that's one reason I think JYD has lost his players. I'm not gonna dump on Boomer & the rest of the team. I feel for the players like Boomer. They're all JYD's prisoners now. Dragging on a ball & chain.

Well done. Setting new standard of absolute rubbish. Fair effort these days.

Ausgard said:
Your kidding ?

Buckley has only about a year or 2 left in him and thats playing off the bench

Players of Boomers type don't usually last forever either, once his pace drops half a yard, the end will come quickly.

I would do the swap in a heartbeat.

Besides, if we didn't play Buckley in our usual 8 interstate matches, then we would get 5 years out of him.:D

Look out, NB's blown a gasket, stay on topic woody.;)

Harvey is a very clever and talented footballer. There will be games when he will shine and take the B.O.G honor, however these days will become increasingly rarer whilst the coaching panel implements the possession style of play. For the better part of this decade we have seen Boomer’s flashy, “give, run & receive” style of play, where he would invariably dispose of the ball via foot, and on the run. The possession team style promotes greater delivery via hand, and backwards kicking, effectively coaching Boomer’s trademark style out of the game.

In season 2006, he spends more time on interchange; he rarely kicks the ball on the run, and disposes via hand far more than ever. These changes within the team game have highlighted the fact that Boomers skills are not at the high standard we have grown accustomed to in order to play ‘this’ brand of football. He rarely kicks on the run, hand passes often, and turns the ball over more than ever before. Whilst I feel it is most prevalent in Boomer’s game, the same can be said for quite a number of our players, including; Wells & Grant.

At 28, I would envisage Boomer has 4 years of football left in him. If Laidley continues to coach Boomer’s style out of the Kangaroos then perhaps they should seriously consider offering him for trade at season’s end. He has immense value as a 2005 All Australian, and would likely command a first round pick. Something the Kangaroos have had few of in recent times.

He could potentially play another 4 years of the style of football which comes naturally to him under the tutelage of another coach, perhaps Eade or Sheedy. Obviously, we would all love for that to occur at the Kangaroos, but one must consider that as Kangaroos supporters, we have been given every indication by the club that they will continue the services of Laidley as coach in the coming seasons. It is with this in mind I urge the club to consider the future value of Brent Harvey within the Kangaroos’ current playing ethos.

NorthBhoy said:

Then wise guy NorthBhoy, you tell us all why we don't dare play a more pro-active style anymore?

Brufen said:
Harvey is a very clever and talented footballer. There will be games when he will shine and take the B.O.G honor, however these days will become increasingly rarer whilst the coaching panel implements the possession style of play. For the better part of this decade we have seen Boomer’s flashy, “give, run & receive” style of play, where he would invariably dispose of the ball via foot, and on the run. The possession team style promotes greater delivery via hand, and backwards kicking, effectively coaching Boomer’s trademark style out of the game.

In season 2006, he spends more time on interchange; he rarely kicks the ball on the run, and disposes via hand far more than ever. These changes within the team game have highlighted the fact that Boomers skills are not at the high standard we have grown accustomed to in order to play ‘this’ brand of football. He rarely kicks on the run, hand passes often, and turns the ball over more than ever before. Whilst I feel it is most prevalent in Boomer’s game, the same can be said for quite a number of our players, including; Wells & Grant.

At 28, I would envisage Boomer has 4 years of football left in him. If Laidley continues to coach Boomer’s style out of the Kangaroos then perhaps they should seriously consider offering him for trade at season’s end. He has immense value as a 2005 All Australian, and would likely command a first round pick. Something the Kangaroos have had few of in recent times.

He could potentially play another 4 years of the style of football which comes naturally to him under the tutelage of another coach, perhaps Eade or Sheedy. Obviously, we would all love for that to occur at the Kangaroos, but one must consider that as Kangaroos supporters, we have been given every indication by the club that they will continue the services of Laidley as coach in the coming seasons. It is with this in mind I urge the club to consider the future value of Brent Harvey within the Kangaroos’ current playing ethos.

Now THAT is a good post.

Yep, he is wasted under Laidley.:thumbsu:

Brufen said:

Beautifully said Brufen. Are you paying attention NorthBhoy? You realise I love being sarcastic yet bluntly HONEST. :p

Flag Man said:
Now THAT is a good post.

Makes sense, all wrapped up in a tight little package.....except for the fact that he was All-Australian last year - under Laidley.

NorthBhoy said:
Not working hard enough.

Played some really tough games last year. Worked harder, pushed himself to contents and lead from the front. Just can't be bothered doing that ATM. In a side both lacking leaders and stars, for a bloke who is potentially both, he really piisses me.

I agree - can be a much better player, just not trying at the moment. Very ordinary efforts off the ball are my main gripe.

If he is our highest paid player (which I'm only guessing) we are in trouble.

The Zebra said:
Makes sense, all wrapped up in a tight little package.....except for the fact that he was All-Australian last year - under Laidley.

Addendum:

Now THAT is a good post.

Yep, he is wasted under Laidley.............

's.........current game plan.

Would probably have 3 Brownlows under any other coach.

He is also a brilliant mudrunner and the switch to Telstra has certainly not helped him.

He would be of better use to a club that plays at an outdoor arena.

Trade him to Port Adelaide for pick 4-5.:thumbsu:

Even now towards the end of his career, has the potential to be one of the most damaging small forwards in the competition.

His midfield days are over. Should be played as a permanent small forward, I still think in the past, his best best games have been when he hurt teams on the scoarboard!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flag Man said:
Would probably have 3 Brownlows under any other coach.

Apparently so would half our team.
laidley must be the Devil considering he has deprived so many of our poor, innocent players of illustrious individual glory.

He is also a brilliant mudrunner and the switch to Telstra has certainly not helped him.

2005? you must have the memory of a fish.

He would be of better use to a club that plays at an outdoor arena.

I hear Laidley was secretly behind the push to build the Teslra Dome. Once again dismantling the careers of innocent professional footballers. Bastard.

Trade him to Port Adelaide for pick 4-5.:thumbsu:

I have stated before, i would definitely look at a top 5 pick for Boomer (but we will probably regret it after he notches up his thrid Brownlow under another coach.)

I have stated before, i would definitely look at a top 5 pick for Boomer

.....and at the end of ther day, that is all I care about.

Glad to have you on board Zeb.;)

Now I only have to convince you about the Junk Yard Blonk.:thumbsu:

Truly amazing stuff.

He is bludging at the moment. He was AA and we played the same footy, just more effectively. Maybe we are in poor form because blokes like Boomer are bludging? Telstra Dome, Laidley, game plan blah, blah, blah. Talk about deflecting blame.

And if he has a problem with the coach and is playing like a bludging sook because of it, I will take whatever we can get for him. My boss is a knob, often showing a complete lack of any ability in his job but my responsibility is to people who need me to do a good job, my colleagues and my employer. I don't get paid 400k a year to do it and I don't throw my hands in the air when it gets a bit tough.

I can deal with poor form, but Boomer's ability to indluence a footy games is more than any other player I have seen reliant on work rate. If he guts runs, pushes himself through the hard bits, he can own a game.

Flag Man said:
Now THAT is a good post.

Boomer isn't paid to like the game plan, he is paid to play at his peak to the best of his abilities. We all agree we don't the game plan, but we are not paid $300-400k per year to chuck our toys out of the cot and have a sook. If that is the true reason Boomer is not performing, then it shows Boomer isn't the class we all thought he was, he is just an average joe who is lucky to be playing for our great club!

Wrath

Flag Man said:
It has to be said that the guy is overrated.

This guy has really flown under the radar whilst Petrie, Harding and Hay have taken all the flack.

Personally, I rate Harveys input this year as not much better, or even inferior to these guys.

Handy footballer, but he really struggles with a hard tag.

Widely regarded as our best onballer, I would rate just about every other clubs best onballer ahead of him.

Essuden is the only club that I rate as having a prime midfielder of lesser quality.

Who wouldn't swap Harvey for:

Adelaide - Goodwin
Brisbane - Black
Carlton - Stevens/Murphy
Collingwood - Buckley
Essendon - None
Fremantle - Carr
Geelong - Take your pick
Hawthorn - Hodge
Melbourne - McLean
Port Adelaide - K.Cornes
Richmond - Deledio
St Kilda - Take your pick
Sydney - Bolton
West Coast - Take your pick
Western Bulldogs - West/Cooney

This is the player that is expendable and will get us a high draft pick.
Players in bold, Brent Harvey is better than.

Wrath said:
Boomer isn't paid to like the game plan, he is paid to play at his peak to the best of his abilities. We all agree we don't the game plan, but we are not paid $300-400k per year to chuck our toys out of the cot and have a sook. If that is the true reason Boomer is not performing, then it shows Boomer isn't the class we all thought he was, he is just an average joe who is lucky to be playing for our great club!

Wrath

That's another way of looking at it & I think Northbhoy agrees with you Wrath but Flag Man & I are with happy with Brufen's sugarcoating post making JYD the bad guy. :p

Woodson and Flagman is a better race than Bonecrusher and Our Waverley Star. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what they're racing for.

He is at the moment the down hill skier from hell - FFS Jess Sinclair is showing more than him at the moment [I can't believe I typed that]

windsock said:
Woodson and Flagman is a better race than Bonecrusher and Our Waverley Star. I'll leave it to your imagination as to what they're racing for.
And we'll call you 'the accurrate one' ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back