Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shinboners said:
It seems that in recent times, Harvey alternates between having really good seasons and very poor ones.

A demon in disguise.

Shinboners said:
Personally, I'd just tell him to play in the forward line and solve our crumbing problems.

Same. I have basically given up hope of him becoming a consistent midfielder these days. Throw him in a pocket.

NorthBhoy said:
Same. I have basically given up hope of him becoming a consistent midfielder these days. Throw him in a pocket.

Not full time yet.

Still averaging 22 possessions this year, and uses it better than Simpson and Rawlings.

As much as he is inconsistent and looks to be bludging at times, the last thing we can afford to lose is pace through the midfield - and only Wells and possibly Swallow have more than Boomer.

Brufen said:
In season 2006, he spends more time on interchange; he rarely kicks the ball on the run, and disposes via hand far more than ever. These changes within the team game have highlighted the fact that Boomers skills are not at the high standard we have grown accustomed to in order to play ‘this’ brand of football.

This is some great stuff,

Boomer has had 6 more handballs compared to the first 9 rounds of 2005. BUT he has also had 9 more kicks!!!

Lets just take the whole team out the back of the Grand stand and but a bullet into them. Save us all some heart ache.

I just love the way we all get behind the team and the club during a tough time. Now, I'm off to find a Richmond scarf.

mav said:

Boomer has had 6 more handballs compared to the first 9 rounds of 2005. BUT he has also had 9 more kicks!!!

Lets just take the whole team out the back of the Grand stand and but a bullet into them. Save us all some heart ache.

I just love the way we all get behind the team and the club during a tough time. Now, I'm off to find a Richmond scarf.

I'll go one step further Mav.

I reckon we have someone with a personal beef against Laidley here on this board. Perhaps a half-forward flanker or forward pocket from another era who copped a hard time against the Roos, but particularly the JYD. That, and the obvious Richmond analogy, makes me think FlagMan is actually Chris Naish and Woodson is Nick Daffy.

I think he does suffer from the style of play we are delivering. He should be professional in his approach but if he is really annoyed with our game plan he won't play his best football... happy workers are productive workers!

BTW has his missus had their baby yet?

mav said:

Boomer's run, in particular his kicking whilst on the run are extremely damaging, as we've seen in seasons bygone. However, this is a different season, one with a more regimented game plan, with opposition teams adopting heavy defensive floods. A great proportion of our teams' possession is either sideward or backwards, and Boomer contributes to this. One needs only to look at the 'possession to goal' ratio to see the volume of inconsequential possession. Statistics this season give a misrepresentation of how the game is played. Remove these inconsequential possessions from his statistics and I’ll guarantee they will no longer be comparable. What is actually important in today's game is the quality of the possession.

Mav, the statistics you provide serve nothing more than to reinforce the notion in my previous post, that Boomer can still play, and can still regularly get his hands on the ball. To be idealistic and compare a series of numbers from season 2006 to 2005 without acknowledging that it is a vastly different game seems naive. It is the significance of the unquantifiable possession that is important.

As for your inclination that some on this post have forsaken the team at a difficult time is shallow. What one does know is that this is a) a forum, which by definition is a medium for voicing opinion, & b) the Kangaroos are losing more games than they are winning, which is not ideal and therefore the discussion is pertinent.

NorthBhoy said:
My boss is a knob, often showing a complete lack of any ability in his job but my responsibility is to people who need me to do a good job, my colleagues and my employer. I don't get paid 400k a year to do it and I don't throw my hands in the air when it gets a bit tough.
QUOTE]

Yeah and your workrate, motivation, job satisfaction, success and health will also vary. Apparently, it is the bosses responsibility to motivate as he is reponsible for the team result. Athletes must be self motivated and disciplined otherwise they would not be athletes - they would just be talented. Boomer is a talented athlete.

Yes I see.

Anyone that is a Laidley apologist is deserving of the Victoria Cross and anyone that is critical of Laidley is a Richmond supporter.

Brilliant.:thumbsu:

10th 10th 5th & 12-16th

Jock McHales record is in serious trouble.

How some of you can be Laidley supporters AND call for Harvey to become a permanent small forward defies all known logic.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Do any of you actually take any notice of the game plan?

What is putting him in the forward pocket going to do?

windsock said:
I'll go one step further Mav.

I reckon we have someone with a personal beef against Laidley here on this board. Perhaps a half-forward flanker or forward pocket from another era who copped a hard time against the Roos, but particularly the JYD. That, and the obvious Richmond analogy, makes me think FlagMan is actually Chris Naish and Woodson is Nick Daffy.

I'll pay that. Daffy ONCE torched North on a Monday night (was 2001?) just like I'm torching the JYD gameplan.:p What is the meaning of these ridiculous posts?? I can roll with the punches but I won't let anyone knock me out about my opinions. :p

And just for the record >>> I wore #7 on my NORTH guernsey in the 90's when HYPERTEC was everyone's #1 choice in PC's.

Woodson said:
And just for the record >>> I wore #7 on my NORTH guernsey in the 90's when HYPERTEC was everyone's #1 choice iin PC's.

I'll take that Hypertec 7 and raise you Matty Larkins No.9 Budget training jumper.:thumbsu:

Flag Man said:
I'll take that Hypertec 7 and raise you Matty Larkins No.9 Budget training jumper.:thumbsu:

I'll throw in my Bruce Abernethy's #12 Budget 'replica' jumper AND the infamous adidas blue & white tracksuit top that got alot of attention when I strolled in bars. :D

Woodson said:
I'll throw in my Bruce Abernethy's #12 Budget 'replica' jumper AND the infamous adidas blue & white tracksuit top that got alot of attention when I strolled in bars. :D

Bruce Abernathy???!!!???

I am amazed that you actually have the audacity to mention that name.

I will take that Bruce Abernethy's #12 Budget 'replica' jumper and raise you one of the eleven only ever issued Glenn Archer shinboner of the century jumpers!!!!

How'dyalikedemapples!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flag Man said:
Bruce Abernathy???!!!???

I am amazed that you actually have the audacity to mention that name.

I will take that Bruce Abernethy's #12 Budget 'replica' jumper and raise you one of the eleven only ever issued Glenn Archer shinboner of the century jumpers!!!!

How'dyalikedemapples!

SOLD.... but here's that lowdown on Brilliant Broooce.

audacity??? how can nobody not get sucked so easily when you're a kid and enjoy watching interstate SANFL on Ch2 with BRUCE McAvaney (then SA footy commentator) was drooling behind the mike every week with lines like... 'here comes BRILLIANT BROOOOCE, precision personified....' and next thing you knew he was coming to Arden St as the talented passenger everyone had to hop on board..... when he left soon after , the numbers got switched to #21 (Tony Furey). :)

Woodson said:
when he left soon after , the numbers got switched to #21 (Tony Furey). :)

I can even better that one.

When I was a kid I lived in Strathmore for a while and I used to play kick to kick in the street with Tony Furey, who went by the name of Anthony back then.

Flag Man said:
I can even better that one.

When I was a kid I lived in Strathmore for a while and I used to play kick to kick in the street with Tony Furey, who went by the name of Anthony back then.

I'll take that and raise you the evening when a mate of mine & I went to Corey's pub (before he bought it) after the game and saw Tony Furey (coaching at the tiime) surrounded by a group of his players who were OBLIVIOUS to anything TF achieved on the footy field 'til I stepped up and PUMPED UP HIS TYRES (while slappin' him on the chest in front of his 'stunned players' Furey went bright red with a hearty grin with such modest surprise and I'm there TELLING them that 'those damn bung knees' killed him off. Heck, the guy 'bought me a beer' for the Slammin' Sam Story Time session. :thumbsu:

Woodson said:
I'll take that and raise you the evening when a mate of mine & I went to Corey's pub (before he bought it) after the game and saw Tony Furey (coaching at the tiime) surrounded by a group of his players who were OBLIVIOUS to anything TF achieved on the footy field 'til I stepped up and PUMPED UP HIS TYRES (while slappin' him on the chest in front of his 'stunned players' Furey went bright red with a hearty grin with such modest surprise and I'm there TELLING them that 'those damn bung knees' killed him off. Heck, the guy 'bought me a beer' for the Slammin' Sam Story Time session. :thumbsu:

Small World.

I used to go into the Eldorado when Rod Mclellan owned it and wash down a famous Eldorado Burger with a few pots, before heading off to matches.

Tony Furey could seriously play.:thumbsu:

He used to give me a touch up playing kick to kick.

Pity about his injuries.

I figure we know a little too much about North for a pair of Richmond supporters?:rolleyes:

Flag Man said:
I figure we know a little too much about North for a pair of Richmond supporters?:rolleyes:

Just a tad tooo ironic lil' Boomer debuted in the last round of 1996 when the Tigers finals hopes were on the line and North hammered them...us...:D

Woodson said:
I'll pay that. Daffy ONCE torched North on a Monday night (was 2001?) just like I'm torching the JYD gameplan.:p What is the meaning of these ridiculous posts?? I can roll with the punches but I won't let anyone knock me out about my opinions. :p

Woodson, I think you may be thinking of the game on a Monday night at the 'G. Richmond kicked 9 goals in the first quarter and were 12 goals up at 3/4 time. The game was played on the Monday night before ANZAC day and drew a crowd of 62K. For the record the Tigers won 134 to 85.

We would play them again in round 19 on a Friday night and the Tigers would start well and lead by 5 goals at half time but two 6 goals quarters would see us win by 10 points (oh to kick 12 goals in a half a game of footy today!!!)

A third match in 1995 was played and it was the qualifying final and it was a tight match all night, the Roos would kick 6.5 in the last quarter to turn a 9 point lead into a 30 point victory.

If the current style of footy is giving you the irates then pull out the video of the 1995 Qualifying final and enjoy 2 hours of how footy used to be!!!

Hotel 6 said:
Woodson, I think you may be thinking of the game on a Monday night at the 'G. Richmond kicked 9 goals in the first quarter and were 12 goals up at 3/4 time. The game was played on the Monday night before ANZAC day and drew a crowd of 62K. For the record the Tigers won 134 to 85.

Remember it well.

Those white maggots gave Richmond, and in particular Richardson, the armchair ride of a lifetime that night.:mad:

Brufen said:
Boomer's run, in particular his kicking whilst on the run are extremely damaging, as we've seen in seasons bygone. However, this is a different season, one with a more regimented game plan, with opposition teams adopting heavy defensive floods. A great proportion of our teams' possession is either sideward or backwards, and Boomer contributes to this. One needs only to look at the 'possession to goal' ratio to see the volume of inconsequential possession. Statistics this season give a misrepresentation of how the game is played. Remove these inconsequential possessions from his statistics and I’ll guarantee they will no longer be comparable. What is actually important in today's game is the quality of the possession.

Mav, the statistics you provide serve nothing more than to reinforce the notion in my previous post, that Boomer can still play, and can still regularly get his hands on the ball. To be idealistic and compare a series of numbers from season 2006 to 2005 without acknowledging that it is a vastly different game seems naive. It is the significance of the unquantifiable possession that is important.

As for your inclination that some on this post have forsaken the team at a difficult time is shallow. What one does know is that this is a) a forum, which by definition is a medium for voicing opinion, & b) the Kangaroos are losing more games than they are winning, which is not ideal and therefore the discussion is pertinent.

Very well written, although your font is a little hard to read!!

But these stats are not inconsequential. They mealy point out the fact that your comment about Brent handballing more often is incorrect. Sure you can look at the possession to goal but I see this more as a failing of the forward line as apposed to the midfield...yes we can all make stats work in our favor.

Brufen, as you point out, teams are flooding against us so the "chipping style" is reverted to. We don't want to give up possession easily (like it or not) and the kick across the halfback line is needed. Now you are saying Brent gives the ball up more this year (is that a guess?) and that he contributes to the side ways kicking. Thus what you are claiming is that Brent, buy kicking sideways, is turning the ball over? To be honest I don't see Brett as one of the main contributors to this.

I don't doubt that Brent is not giving us as much run as normal but he is not alone here. There have been times he has done it well yet we are comparing this year to a year when he won our BnF. Has the game plan really changed that much or are we not more critical because we are losing. There were plenty of threads last year about the sideways and backwards kicking. I actually find blaming the "game plan" as being naive. JYD has stated that he wants the players to run with the ball more, to take risks. That takes confidence and confidence is a wonderful thing.

What needs to be remembered is our Half Back line has consisted of Perry, Gibbo and/or Pratt for most of this year. It is going to take time for these guys to get the confidence and knowledge to know where to run for the midfield. The drive always comes from the backline and this year it has been left to Sinkers, Brown and Arch as the only ones with any experience of playing with Boomer, Simmo, Rawlings and Harris. As JYD continue to back the kids things will turn around. To bag a player that is finding the pill doesn't seem like a relevant discussion as to the reason we are losing, but that's just my opinion.

I have been a long time fan of Boomer's but he is slowly losing me. His last 18 months have not been good. I just can't handle this obsession of short-passing he has. How many long-kicks has he had this year? His goal from 48m last night is the first long-kick I can recall him doing for the year!
Is it a directive from Brainiac & co. that he must go short? And the problem is, his short-passing ain't real flash anyway.
Come on Boomer, resurrect your flagging career & become a damaging player again. You are slowly becoming just another Simpson/Sinclair & I would hate to see you end your career playing like either of those 2 clowns.:thumbsdown:

i reakon he has been good the last few weeks. he seems to be chasing more and 'tackling' more, at the start of the year he would just slowly jog after players now he seems to really be running hard to put pressure on.

yes he is kicking short a lot more but at least they are forward or to a player in space running rather then sideways and ineffective. he also follows up the handball as well which a lot of players dont do, they kick or handball and stop the dont run to shepard or fix the mistake if the miss the target

Devil Fish said:
I have been a long time fan of Boomer's but he is slowly losing me. His last 18 months have not been good. I just can't handle this obsession of short-passing he has. How many long-kicks has he had this year? His goal from 48m last night is the first long-kick I can recall him doing for the year!
Is it a directive from Brainiac & co. that he must go short? And the problem is, his short-passing ain't real flash anyway.
Come on Boomer, resurrect your flagging career & become a damaging player again. You are slowly becoming just another Simpson/Sinclair & I would hate to see you end your career playing like either of those 2 clowns.:thumbsdown:
Hey D***F*** can you tell me who won the Best & Fairest last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back