Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has to happen for reasons 1, 2 and 4. LT has been good this year despite his goalkicking, let's hope we see it in action this week!

This may seem radical but I think Boomer should be used as a TAGGER that in turn can hurt on the rebound. If he was able to do the role it would demonstrate beyond any doubt that he is committed, appreciative and passionate about playing for the roos this year.
I can't see it happening but at the very least the next time he is being tagged out of a game himself he should go and apply a close to check to an opposition on-baller. He would draw his player as well and the resulting 2 on 1 would free up one of our other on-ballers.

This may seem radical but I think Boomer should be used as a TAGGER that in turn can hurt on the rebound. If he was able to do the role it would demonstrate beyond any doubt that he is committed, appreciative and passionate about playing for the roos this year.
I can't see it happening but at the very least the next time he is being tagged out of a game himself he should go and apply a close to check to an opposition on-baller. He would draw his player as well and the resulting 2 on 1 would free up one of our other on-ballers.

Interesting theory, i just can't see him tackling any player he is assigned to tag.

Trying? Is that what we've come to? If I played for NMFC, I'd try my guts out, so does that mean I should be playing for NMFC?

When there is 15/16/17 other players on the field doing nothing all he can do is try.

When there is 15/16/17 other players on the field doing nothing all he can do is try.

i agree totaly LT has a brilliant kick as long as its not at the main sticks.

He needs to go into the middle and help out swallow.

Harvey who doesnt often tackle would be a good swap.

Will be interesting to see if the club condones what he did. BS will not be able to squib a decision this week. Going on form Harvey would have to be in the spotlight.

Interesting theory, i just can't see him tackling any player he is assigned to tag.
I tend to agree but if he did get out there and perform such a role then I can see the young blokes watching on and going, shite you have to be prepared to do anything to stay the journey in this caper. It would be a really powerful message.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn though that his elbow problems are preventing him from tackling, etc... I hope that is the case or else my opinion of Harvey's all round game will drop a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or he should play a full game in the forward line.
Come on, this is boomer. Bit of respect. Still easily in our top 5 players.

I think Boomer has a couple of seasons left after 2012.

He's been incredibly durable and I can't recall him having too many soft tissue injuries if any? Boomer still has his pace and shows no signs of losing it unlike Luke Power who appeared to lose his leg speed overnight a couple of seasons back!

ATM I think he would best suit the team spending half of each 1/4 in the midfield and the other half of each 1/4 as a HHF playing up the ground a little so he can use his evasive skills and his run and carry into the forward line. IIRC there was a stat a few years ago that had Boomer with almost more goal assists than any other player in the history of the AFL? More Boomer touches around the forward line would = more goal assists and more than likely more goals himself. Alternatively he could play as a small forward close to Petrie. Drew almost always provides a contest and what he doesn't mark usually goes to ground which would suit Boomer. I'd back us in most contests if the ball was delivered quickly into our forward line with Drew and Boomer one out with their opponents.

Boomer adds speed to our one paced midfield so I still see him as an important midfield option. If he's used as a mid/forward and he's carving it up in the middle then leave him there alternatively if he's getting tagged or causing the opposition backline some headaches up forward then leave him there for longer periods.

Towards the end of his career I can see Boomer kicking 50 goals per season as a permanent forward.

I also can't think of anyone in the AFL more suited to the substitute position than Boomer. He would be a lethal weapon if unleashed in the second 1/2 of games when the opposition midfield is feeling fatigued it could be a way to prolong his career if he want's to go on in that role and the club want him to go on.

Will be interesting to see if the club condones what he did. BS will not be able to squib a decision this week. Going on form Harvey would have to be in the spotlight.

Im really looking forward to:-
1. how Scott responds
2. how HARVEY RESPONDS- he´s done it in the past but the onus is back on boomer now he breaks the tag or he steps back and gets run down.
I hope some time in the long future we hear what transpires in this weeks conversation between the two. Defining moment, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back