Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Originally posted by fusion
The boundary umpire reported him, and he's got suspended for striking Brodie Holland. No video replay, and no other witnesses.

1 week suspension!

Harvey's never been suspended before.

Even worse, the poor St Kilda guy got 3 weeks for kicking, when Alessio stepped on his foot. I'd be very upset if I followed the Saints.

What are you upset about? Kicking can get 8 Weeks and he only got 3:confused:

re-boomer

P***fters there goes my brownlow
investment at the start of the year!!!

Now surely D.Smith has to get his chance
IMO natural replacement Unfortunately!!!!

I am sick of Laids not playing Hale surely games under his
belt is a better option than Porter!!

Also Teague BOG for Port should return
why he is not there is beyond me!!!

Should be an interesting Thursday lotto
this week!!!

over + out
Digby

Glenn Archer spoke highly of Dylan Smith on Sunday. He said his attitude is fantastic, even though there are lots of other players he has to compete with to win a spot in the side. He said he has played well for Port and he just keeps trying. Dean rewarded David Bourke with a game because he said he had been playing well and he wanted to see what Bourke could do when given a chance. Surely, it is a good opportunity to do the same for Dylan. Give him a go.

from www.heraldsun.news.com.au

Harvey out for one match
09 July 2003 Herald Sun
By GRANTLEY BERNARD

AFTER losing the past two games, the Kangaroos will have to stop their skid without goalkicking midfield dynamo Brent Harvey.

Harvey was last night suspended for one game by the AFL Tribunal, while St Kilda's Steven Baker copped a three-match ban for kicking.

Outed for striking Collingwood tagger Brodie Holland in the stomach, Harvey quickly left the hearing without comment after a plea for a severe reprimand was ignored.

Harvey explained his action as a push to get rid of the persistent tagging of Holland, who was accused of trying to milk free-kicks throughout the game.

But boundary umpire Matthew Vitiritti told the tribunal he saw Harvey punch Holland in the stomach while Anthony Rocca lined-up a shot at goal.

"Player Holland buckled over and went to the ground," Vitiritti said. "(The force of the punch was) enough for the player to buckle over and go to the ground."

There was no video evidence of the report and Holland, who admitted to "niggling" Harvey from the start of the game, could not recall the specific incident.

Harvey told the tribunal he twice asked the umpire about the report because he did not know why he had been booked.

He also warned Holland to stop flopping for free-kicks because he had been reported.

"I got reported for something I didn't even know what for," Harvey said. "I was pretty upset and I said that to him. When I first got reported, I didn't have a clue what for. I can't recall doing anything."

Originally posted by Asprilla
I think it sucks that they take the word of an umpire over the players (even if they do lie most of the time). Why does an umpire have more credibility than a player? Far be it from me to agree with Sam Newman, but when he says umpires are becoming bigger than the game itself, I agree. Not happy to lose our most damaging player on the flimsy evidence of a boundary umpire!

To play devil's advocate and step into the Tribunal's shoes, if they're presented with evidence from someone who is employed to police the rules of the game and make reports for relevant breaches, if no video footage exists and it's one person's word against another, the Tribunal will probably go with the evidence of the person who is specifically employed for the purpose of adjucdicating on match days. The boundary umpire is a neutral observer - if he is sure he has not made a mistake, he has no gain by dobbing in another player, or reporting him for an incident that doesn't exist.

This is a rare case where footage doesn't appear to exist, so the only real evidence is that of someone who has first-hand vision of what happened. Unless it can be proven that the incident didn't take place, the tribunal can only really adjudicate on the evidence of the one person who saw it, and through neutrality was not involved.

Apart from the players involved, how many people were able to give evidence, and say that there was definitely no contact? Nobody else seems to have seen it.

With the age-old code of silence between players, the evidence of Harvey and Holland means squat.

This is no different to a case in the civilian world, where one person is guilty of an offence against another, and a policeman is the only witness. If the policeman reinforces that has a clear view of the incident when he made the arrest, it'd basically be accusing the policeman of corruption to say nothing took place.

I suppose the only difference in the civilian world is that people don't do their best to get eachother off the hook.

Maybe someone with legal experience (Yianni?) can give an opinion, while keeping in mind that Australia's legal system does not necessarily use the same procedures as the tribunal when determining guilt and sentencing.

The gist I get is that people presume that because it wasn't captured on video, it didn't happen. Just remember that in the civilian world people get charged and convicted without the aid of video footage.

With that in mind, it can't be proven either way, which is where the evidence of ONE person is the decider, and being considered a neutral, the umpire's evidence is treated as genuine.

Re: Re: Harvey suspended 1 week

Originally posted by 66MunsterT
What are you upset about? Kicking can get 8 Weeks and he only got 3:confused:

It was more of a tap than a kick. I don't have a problem with him getting 1 week. But 3 weeks is an equal penalty to Rioli's hit on Simpson 50 metres off the ball.

I think he's really stiff, as there is no doubt that Alessio stepped on his foot, and he wanted to get him off. It could be argued that it was a reflex action.

Re: Re: Re: Harvey suspended 1 week

Originally posted by fusion
It was more of a tap than a kick. I don't have a problem with him getting 1 week. But 3 weeks is an equal penalty to Rioli's hit on Simpson 50 metres off the ball.

I think he's really stiff, as there is no doubt that Alessio stepped on his foot, and he wanted to get him off. It could be argued that it was a reflex action.

A "reflex action" would be to pull your foot away from what it was jammed under.:)

have'nt seen brent do this before , only media work i have seen him do is after match interview , not sure if he's been on white line fever.good to see the boys on the telly for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he performed ok but very much "by the book" footy interview. Predictable questions met with predictable answers regarding Pagan,Wells,Laidley etc. Interest raised a little when his contract was mentioned. It seems his manager and North have started negotiations. Would like to play with his brother but both are happy where they are. Disappointed with his form over the last few weeks and said that tagging actics are worse now than ever before in his experience. He was given a good go and handled himself well from the media perspective.

Watched it, as Groucho said, a predictable and typical interview.

Get Boomer signed ASAP as far as I am concerned. Sooner we have him signed, the better.

Go Roos

Did anyone read that two page interview in the H-S with Boomer a while back? Reading b/w the lines you got the impression that he wanted the captaincy or else he was off to play with Shane.

I'd put him in the top three or four for the job, but I'm not sure what we'd do if he said 'give it to me or I'll make enquiries at Essendon'. Problem is the Bombers need midfielders, so I hope it doesn't get complicated.

Don't think Boomer will leave.

However, would like to know, what are the chances of Stevo standing down as captain at the end of this year, and Boomer taking over?

Because then:
Stevo could finish his career without the hassles of captaincy (A quieter life perhaps without as much media attention)
Boomer would have the captaincy
We would have a captain for the next 5 + years

Just a thought (Not implying I want Stevo to give up Captaincy, love him as captain, just a thought)

Go Roos

Liked the part when he said to break taggers he used to run near byron Pickett and they would lose interest also said Arch is pretty good at that as well.Also stated that Stevo will play 3 more season but not sure if he will stay captain for that period or handover to a young one.Also picked Port to win the grand final as Pickett and cochrane are there.
He also said that he wanted to be a one club player and all negotiations are with his manager,would like to play with his brother but not sure that will happen did say his brother has struggled this year only 2 games and 6 last year.

Cheers

Yes i think he will stay the difference between him and Bell is Bell was a west aussie and was always going to return home .Boomer comes from Brunswick so is a Melbourne boy and the way he talked last night was that he only wants to play his career at one club.

Cheers

Just read on AFl Website:

"What the Papers Say...
Kangaroos rover Brent Harvey has rejected the club’s latest contract offer, but is expected to agree to terms shortly"

Also heard that Harvey wants to play with Shane, and there was even a rumour that he would consider going to the Bombers if he wasn't given the captaincy. Cant remember where I saw that... But From the looks of this, it shouldnt be too long until he re-signs with us... Easily our Number #1 priority to sign. He is our best player and as for Captain. It's between Boomer, Shagga and Simmo!

Originally posted by benno87
He is our best player and as for Captain. It's between Boomer, Shagga and Simmo!
Depending on what Stevo decides to do, Petrie could be our next captain. If he keeps improving at the rate he is, there will be no doubt. Very confident with the media too.

If Boomer will only stay if given the captaincy, he can p1ss off.

I doubt this is the case, and I am confident he will stay. I never have viewed him as captaincy material, but I don't know why. I like physically imposing leaders, who can bash heads.

Simmo would be favorite, but depending on when Stevo gives it away, I reckon Petrie is a huge chance. Strong, gun, young, consistent, tough and a good media performer.

Not much wrong with all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back