Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, it’s a mix; picking Warner in the 30s illustrates your point; Heeney, Blakey, Gulden and a few others illustrates mine
Warner was a fluke, every club passed on him and Sydney had no idea he'd be this good, it's like us taking Larkey and X in the 70s. The academy kids are a consistent pattern

Been disappointing today in the VFL, Southport’s Dawson & Woodcock have ran over the top of him.

Not sure if that’s the last time we see him in North colours or not. Be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next few weeks.
Hey roos probably no one will agree but what are your thoughts on Will Setterfield as a big bodied mid to help out a bit. Right age and can find the footy or am i just reaching. Be interested in your thoughts.

Hey roos probably no one will agree but what are your thoughts on Will Setterfield as a big bodied mid to help out a bit. Right age and can find the footy or am i just reaching. Be interested in your thoughts.

Not sure a big slow inside mid is in Clarko’s plans in our midfield. Otherwise we would’ve seen Greenwood a bit more considering his VFL form.

I don’t mind Setterfield though. His injuries would be a bit of a concern though.

Pick #1 for Phillips. A former pick 3 with AFL experience and four years of development, about to hit the start of his prime? Sounds like the perfect player with which to start a rebuild. Thank your mother for the rabbits

Pick #1 for Phillips. A former pick 3 with AFL experience and four years of development, about to hit the start of his prime? Sounds like the perfect player with which to start a rebuild. Thank your mother for the rabbits

Are you telling me we get #1 and #2?

For Real Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the kid, went through a lot of physical battles with sickness and all sorts.

Unfortunately sometimes parting ways is the best decision, even though I’d still want him to stay, he might just need a new environment.

Hard to watch today.

Played midfield all day, it was basically Will and Laz against Jacob Dawson and Boyd Woodcock. Laz tried and ran hard but nothing was clean and he had no help at all from Will. Will was at most stoppages where he was okay but did no damage at all, then he somehow disappeared. Whilst Dawson and Woodcock ran riot, Will refused to chase, provide overlap run or be an outlet coming out of defense. Seriously lazy performance, probably his last in our jumper.

Hard to watch today.

Played midfield all day, it was basically Will and Laz against Jacob Dawson and Boyd Woodcock. Laz tried and ran hard but nothing was clean and he had no help at all from Will. Will was at most stoppages where he was okay but did no damage at all, then he somehow disappeared. Whilst Dawson and Woodcock ran riot, Will refused to chase, provide overlap run or be an outlet coming out of defense. Seriously lazy performance, probably his last in our jumper.
I don't think it's laziness, it's a lack of athleticism; the difference between intent and ability

I don't think it's laziness, it's a lack of athleticism; the difference between intent and ability
That is part of it, he certainly has his physical limitations. But it doesn't take more than effort for a midfielder to run to space to provide an option and pick up a few cheap marks. Will didn't do this once. Or run past a teammate for a handball receive, nup. Or chase your opponent when he runs away a contest. These are the basics of a midfielder's role and he isn't doing any of it.

Warner was a fluke, every club passed on him and Sydney had no idea he'd be this good, it's like us taking Larkey and X in the 70s. The academy kids are a consistent pattern
Geezus I didn’t realise those guys were that old!!!

As much as I like Will, writing may be on the wall here. Best result would be getting a second rounder or F2 for him. Had he never had glandular who knows how things may have panned out, but ultimately it's his lack of positional flexibility that is keeping him out.

Hard to watch today.

Is the VFL season over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back