Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Neale avg 27 touches & kicked 16 goals in his fourth season.
Also, Lyon didn’t give him the arse, he requested a trade & netted Freo picks 6 & 19
This post is soooo far off the mark
It was a bit tongue in cheek mate. Neale said Lyon used to get stuck into him and "dropped him every other week".
I'm talking specifically about the timeline of development. Lachie said it took him 6 years to grasp what was required.

Just remember, every premiership midfield has a cameron ling, shaun hart type player...

It was a bit tongue in cheek mate. Neale said Lyon used to get stuck into him and "dropped him every other week".
I'm talking specifically about the timeline of development. Lachie said it took him 6 years to grasp what was required.
Tongue in cheek or back tracking?? Neale played 11 games his first season & then 12 the next. He played every game from his third season onwards & was never dropped.
He was never ever getting delisted by anyone!!

He's a 2nd year undersized inside mid who has had heaps of unlucky injuries sice his arrival. McDonald would be angling for a ticket back to WA if hadn't left already! You seem to miss this rather crucial point, pretty consistently.

Yes he has kicked 34 goals, but he gets silver service from a finals bound, experienced list and well structured forward line of which he is #2 banana, to Issac Heeney. With 2 other talls who are decent taking pressure off him and making space - the situations are totally different. How would he go in our forward line? Still kick 34? 25 of them would potentially be red-time Q4 goals which don't count so much.
Logan McDonald is pretty crap but he is still less crap than Phillips.
Of course, it is easy to be a hindsight hero, but the fact is Logan McDonald would have been a better fit for our needs.
If you suggested to any other non-North supporter that Phillips is better than Logan McDonald, it would take them days to stop laughing!

Logan McDonald is pretty crap but he is still less crap than Phillips.
Of course, it is easy to be a hindsight hero, but the fact is Logan McDonald would have been a better fit for our needs.
If you suggested to any other non-North supporter that Phillips is better than Logan McDonald, it would take them days to stop laughing!

I'm agreeing with the first paragraph, couldn't care less what other fans think. Not one Zloty/iota given.

I was exactly like them when i first laid eyes on Will, but his worth albeit minuscule (currently) is more than his current output. We suffer a bit from Harry's genius, but not everyone will come in and be AA (on and off the field) from day dot.

McDonald is playing as a KPF in the best side in the game.

I doubt very much he’d be playing if Horse thought he wasn’t good enough.
Swans are doing extremely well by carrying 3 absolute spud KPF’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans are doing extremely well by carrying 3 absolute spud KPF’s
Yeah.

As per normal, it’s the blokes 25+ who they have that do the job.

Lloyd, Heeney, Grundy, Cunningham, Mills, Papley, Hayward, Amartey, McLean, Rampe, Melican, McCartin, Parker.

Like Hawthorn, that’s 13 blokes 25 and over.

No surprise really.

Neale avg 27 touches & kicked 16 goals in his fourth season.
Also, Lyon didn’t give him the arse, he requested a trade & netted Freo picks 6 & 19
This post is soooo far off the mark
Didnt have 2 bouts of Glandular fever and then backed it up with covid.. did he?

Tongue in cheek or back tracking?? Neale played 11 games his first season & then 12 the next. He played every game from his third season onwards & was never dropped.
He was never ever getting delisted by anyone!!
Obviously Neale is/was the better player and I said he had shown more earlier in his career than Will.
But it certainly wasn't the case early on that he was the professional he is now, it took time for him to learn.

Lyon said he'd be a "fat little forward pocket at Glenelg pretty soon and play my 20 or 30 games and be out of the system"

“I used an app called Strava and I strapped the phone to my arm and jumped on my motorbike and did the session on there and it got sent through to the Fremantle footy club... but it was on the motorbike.”

Obviously Neale is/was the better player and I said he had shown more earlier in his career than Will.
But it certainly wasn't the case early on that he was the professional he is now, it took time for him to learn.

Lyon said he'd be a "fat little forward pocket at Glenelg pretty soon and play my 20 or 30 games and be out of the system"

“I used an app called Strava and I strapped the phone to my arm and jumped on my motorbike and did the session on there and it got sent through to the Fremantle footy club... but it was on the motorbike.”
Well Lyon’s prediction was pretty average then.
Of course it takes some players years into the system to work out what it takes to become an elite footballer.
If you read many of the comments on here, Will is already the ultimate professional, so I’m not sure what improvement he has left in him, if that is the case.
Neale was doing alright if he was not taking his career seriously & still racking up 27 touches per game & kicking 16 goals in his 4th season, no wonder he is a multiple Chaz winner.

Didnt have 2 bouts of Glandular fever and then backed it up with covid.. did he?
My response was in relation to Chubbs saying some people would delist Neale early days as he wasn’t 100% dedicated professional athlete. That is just plain wrong. Nobody was ever delisting Neale!!
Will has no doubt had his struggles & I was happy he got another year, but the fact remains he has done nothing in his career so far to suggest he will make it as a footballer.
I sincerely hope that changes next season, because it is last chance saloon.

Well Lyon’s prediction was pretty average then.
Of course it takes some players years into the system to work out what it takes to become an elite footballer.
If you read many of the comments on here, Will is already the ultimate professional, so I’m not sure what improvement he has left in him, if that is the case.
Neale was doing alright if he was not taking his career seriously & still racking up 27 touches per game & kicking 16 goals in his 4th season, no wonder he is a multiple Chaz winner.
I think that was in his first couple of years. His 4th year might have been good, but I definitely remember him saying on 360 that he didn't really grasp being an elite footballer until his 6th year.
Anyway, let's see what Will can do this year. Hope he has a strong preseason and makes the most of it.

All good, found it. He finished equal with Kallan Dawson, 30 behind Fisher, 80 behind Tucker and fell 90 short of Luke McDonald. Tracking nicely.
so where did he finish and how many votes did Will Phil get?

All good, found it. He finished equal with Kallan Dawson, 30 behind Fisher, 80 behind Tucker and fell 90 short of Luke McDonald. Tracking nicely.

JY stop it, it doesn't matter, and you can and should be able the critique his form next season.
But keeping this going now, will make for a very painful pre-season.

I like you have been quite amazed by the level of a) excuses b) inability to see the truth, I do refer to his VFL form which to put it mildly stunk.

Hopefully he can get himself fit for the rigors of AFL in the off season, otherwise he's gone in 12 months.

I really hope he makes it, we cannot afford him to be no good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - Extends to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back