Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - has reportedly signed a 1yr deal & will be a Roo til end '25

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the AA captain being the same way.
And of course im not talking about character, im talking about the similar roles Wardlaw and Phillips play. Im perfectly fine with Wardlaw over JHF, its just not helped Phillips imo.
But you go ahead and spin it how you do.

You do realise my post that you're replying to is 100% a pisstake on JHF and not a defence on WilPhil or attack on anyone here right? I liked your post and midfield balance analysis and I think you were spot on with that. No need to get defensive.

I'd have played him last week and I would play him this week.

High draft pick who spent 3.5 years in the limbo of injuries/illness/lack of form/lack of opportunity finally finds a role in the team and performs it really well, but at the first opportunity is dropped again. So much for playing the kids and backing them in. Will would have every right to feel a bit miffed.
The same inconsistency of his midfield peers seems to get a free pass by comparison.

And why is that a bad thing mate, the club needs to be brave.

1.LDU
2.Wardlaw
3.Simpkin
4.Sheezel
5.Powell

Give that group another 12 months, all will still have years left in them, if our backs and fwds could match them , we'd never lose another game.

And probably another mid added this year. I would though rather we did a trade for Phillips, dunno a small fwd who like Phillips has shown signs.
One injury away from being undermanned, look what happened when Wardlaw was out for a couple of matches we fell in a heap.

You do realise my post that you're replying to is 100% a pisstake on JHF and not a defence on WilPhil or attack on anyone here right? I liked your post and midfield balance analysis and I think you were spot on with that. No need to get defensive.
Apologies, lots on the mind atm so misunderstood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got an uneasy feeling that the club will want to trade Will.

Reckon they'll look for a 2nd or 3rd rounder or outside chance trade him for a needs player (eg tall forward) not getting a game elsewhere.

Maybe finds himself in the same spot that Clarkson found himself 30 years ago.

Hope I'm wrong and we keep him.

I'd prefer the club do this to address a list need tbh. Love Will, one of, if not my favourite. But he's 6th or so in line for a midfield gig and we have like one genuine KPF on the list.

The tactical sub will go at years end. Teams will need a defensive midfielder in their 23

Give it another year and the AFL will re-introduce an injury sub as the 24th player to account for the increasing number of players removed from games due to concussion symptoms and then a year after that, the coaches will demand the right to use the injury sub as a tactical sub and then everyone will hate that and two years later, there will be no subs and 24 players and then we cycle around once again.

Give it another year and the AFL will re-introduce an injury sub as the 24th player to account for the increasing number of players removed from games due to concussion symptoms and then a year after that, the coaches will demand the right to use the injury sub as a tactical sub and then everyone will hate that and two years later, there will be no subs and 24 players and then we cycle around once again.
You mean just Chris Scott?

Just my opinion of course, but Will Phillips is more talented than Tom Powell for my money.

Phillips is right at the top of the list for players I want kicking from a centre clearance to our forwards.

Philips is a neat kick inside 50, no doubt, and is great at weighting the kicks to a lead around 30m (although last week he missed a few). But Powell is surgical. You need both but Powell and Sheezel are a step above.

Powell has more upside.

Phillips needs to be that in-and-under midfielder we all want him to be. There's a player in there.

Will Phil is the closest we have to Tom Liberatore. He has the makings of being that player, although depth of kick is where he will fall short of Libba.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II] - has reportedly signed a 1yr deal & will be a Roo til end '25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back