Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williams was only overlooked by one club - the one he was zoned to - Carlton. He got 3 brownlow votes in his debut game at Geelong and won the BnF in his second year at but then left for the bright lights of Sydney with Tom Hafey and a few other players from Geelong. Williams won a Brownlow there before finally joining Carlton as the highest paid player in the history of the game, where he won a second Brownlow. Williams was an absolute gun from day dot.

I don't get the purpose of your post. I assume that you are trying to correct me?? but I can't see where I have stated anything about Diesel that is too much different to what you are stating bearing in mind that you have provided far more detail. Btw, I wasn't the poster using Diesel as a comparison, I was simply responding to another poster who was commenting on Will Phillips.

I don't get the purpose of your post. I assume that you are trying to correct me?? but I can't see where I have stated anything about Diesel that is too much different to what you are stating bearing in mind that you have provided far more detail. Btw, I wasn't the poster using Diesel as a comparison, I was simply responding to another poster who was commenting on Will Phillips.
To be honest, I dont know either. I think I was just trying to add to the conversation, but I have done that badly. I think my initial intention was to agree that Will Phillips is nothing like Greg Williams, primarily that Phillips is not slow - but I didn't even manage to mention Phillips! I wasnt trying to attack your post though. Apologies all round.

To be honest, I dont know either. I think I was just trying to add to the conversation, but I have done that badly. I think my initial intention was to agree that Will Phillips is nothing like Greg Williams, primarily that Phillips is not slow - but I didn't even manage to mention Phillips! I wasnt trying to attack your post though. Apologies all round.
All good :)

1682583062312.png

Add to this: Will missed a whole year of football with an illness he probably still hasn't gotten over. His TOG is down, and that may be a reflection of the illness. He gets that up to where LDU was/is and his possessions, supercoach/fantasy score, and all other things go up. More clearances than LDU as well and less clangers.

I reckon he's tracking pretty well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1671796

Add to this: Will missed a whole year of football with an illness he probably still hasn't gotten over. His TOG is down, and that may be a reflection of the illness. He gets that up to where LDU was/is and his possessions, supercoach/fantasy score, and all other things go up. More clearances than LDU as well and less clangers.

Plus he has been sub

I reckon the one thing he and Powell need to do is play with some absolute campaigner in them. I reckon when they assert themselves they’ll go up a gear. They still seemed quite timid

View attachment 1671796

I like the concept of this comparison but feel this actually shades him in LDU's shadow.

Their general metrics are closely aligned but LDU's metres gained eclipse Will's at the same stage. So he was effectively the same player with an additional weapon to his game at that stage.

Fwiw I think Will's natural defensive play and physicality in close could go well past LDU if his career tracks in the right direction.

I like the concept of this comparison but feel this actually shades him in LDU's shadow.

Their general metrics are closely aligned but LDU's metres gained eclipse Will's at the same stage. So he was effectively the same player with an additional weapon to his game at that stage.

Fwiw I think Will's natural defensive play and physicality in close could go well past LDU if his career tracks in the right direction.
Games in 2020 were 20% shorter than any other season and LDU had OP.

You meaning LDU was even more ahead in the age for age comparison ferbs?
Yeah I do. Don't get me wrong. WP's had a very interrupted career and I would expect the same output if they were exactly the same player, ie if LDU were in his place.

Dunno about vice versa cos LDU is big and strong thru the hips. He has Higgo's ability to get high and drive off his toes and break tackles that way as well. Will isn't gonna be that sort of player. I expect their output would be/will be closer if Will had the length of time in the system and the comparatively cleaner run than LDU has and you compared their fifth year results. (IE If Will gets a clean run for the rest of this year and for all of next year.)

Will's a better user and maybe has better vision and forward delivery. At this stage anyway. May not ever be the monster LDU will be in a year or two cos he's already ripping the ball out of packs and charging away thru the arms of opposition players.

Yeah I do. Don't get me wrong. WP's had a very interrupted career and I would expect the same output if they were exactly the same player, ie if LDU were in his place.

Dunno about vice versa cos LDU is big and strong thru the hips. He has Higgo's ability to get high and drive off his toes and break tackles that way as well. Will isn't gonna be that sort of player. I expect their output would be/will be closer if Will had the length of time in the system and the comparatively cleaner run than LDU has and you compared their fifth year results. (IE If Will gets a clean run for the rest of this year and for all of next year.)

Will's a better user and maybe has better vision and forward delivery. At this stage anyway. May not ever be the monster LDU will be in a year or two cos he's already ripping the ball out of packs and charging away thru the arms of opposition players.

Understand mate and I was viewing it in the same context, ie not a slur on Will but it was a bit misleading because metres gained was a key difference that almost nullified the comparison.

It'd be like 2 forwards having very similar marks, disposals and tackles but one averages 2 goals more per game than the other one.

My feeling is that Whifi is still a young man in someone else's midfield. He tries to play a supporting role, just doing his job. It won't be until he gets to the stage of wanting it to be his midfield that we will see what he is really capable of, which is still a year or two away.

He needs a bit more arrogance when he is in the stoppage, wanting the first touch from the ruck. Its the one part of prick-francis' make up that our young mids could really do with. Like LDU from late last year, once he feels he really belongs I think we will see much more from him.

I think the club is very contradictory in the handling of Will v George W’ya.
Will is every bit as an investment and doesn’t seem to have as an obvious program of return. This in and out handling of his game time is not helping him or the team, and may even have a guaranteed 200 gamer having second thoughts

"(Will Phillips) was really solid and he had a strong midfield around him with Hugh Greenwood, George Wardlaw and Charlie Lazzaro. We were probably the strongest we've been through there (the midfield) for the year from a VFL point of view. Their transition stood out ... and I was really pleased that they were all able to contribute and have positive performances."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back