Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are well stocked for inside mids and Will is the odd man out at the moment.
other clubs like the dogs and * probably would jump on him
We are well stocked?

We will be drafting another inside mid with pick 1.

Our forward line is pox but our midfield has pretty much stoked the fire there. Our medium-aged and older mids can hardly be trusted.

After so much hope and investment in our midfield, we have come to a sobering realisation that it just does not stack up to the best.

That is the reality.

A first round draft pick in his fourth year playing VFL and can't crack the top eight players on the ground. There'd be 20 better performing mids in the comp, time to take off the rose coloured glasses.

Rose coloured glasses is when say he is playing terrible while avg 25 disposals per game. There probably is 20 better mids in the comp, doesn't discount the fact that Will isn't playing bad footy.

Do I expect more from him? Yes. Is he playing terrible like you constantly suggest? Absolutely not.

Is he worth what saints paid for paddy Dow?

I'd give him a 1 year deal. Absolutely last throw of the dice for him to consolidate that talent we saw in his bottom age year with a career at North Melbourne.

It's hardly like we're short of players to move on and at worst he's a solid character to have at the club. Maybe stucking around on a "lowly" 1 year deal mighy actually relieve the pressure for him.

<Ducks>

I'd give him a 1 year deal. Absolutely last throw of the dice for him to consolidate that talent we saw in his bottom age year with a career at North Melbourne.

It's hardly like we're short of players to move on and at worst he's a solid character to have at the club. Maybe stucking around on a "lowly" 1 year deal mighy actually relieve the pressure for him.

<Ducks>

There is some sound logic there. And given the trade return would be close to nothing, it makes some sense.

I think it'd be a waste of a list spot and that he's consistently being out performed by VFL mids who haven't had a shot yet, but I wouldn't be shitty if he got another year.

I'd suggest he will earn heck all in season 2025 at any club
I'm happy for him to stay on said heck all.

But there isn't a chance in hell he's at North in 2025. He isn't good enough to get a game in the worst side in living memory.
He will take any offer and so he should if he's got any self-respect.
I never really had a problem with Will, it is the bullshit posters say that rattles around in my head.
i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means.jpg

shocked the princess bride GIF

Second half of the season is pretty much his last chance.

Clarko hinted at some deficiencies with Will's game which correlated to running and covering defensive ground. Especially at Marvel, we can't have too many inside midfielders and then rely heavily on LDU to carry the offensive load. Lazz has been getting more looks at it not just because his pre-season form warranted it, but because he can run and cover space. We are extremely open in transition and it starts in the midfield.

You see other teams put a lot of pressure and harassment at the first few contests to give enough time for their backs to get the zone setup. For us, that doesn't happen often enough. It will come with our young players getting experience, but wouldn't it be a little bit easier if we could get someone already well-drilled and lead those young guns?

One of the list requirements is a big-bodied mid, which means one of the mids or even two will get pushed out. Despite their individual qualities, Phillips and Lazz are edging closer to that inevitable exit.

I hope I'm wrong but Phillips will need to put in a big next few shifts. He would need to work harder than he has ever before if he will make it.

Yes the hints you mention show precisely in the game he is being coached to play at VFL level where he is all mid-defence and zoning as first priority. That is a much harder discipline to instil when it runs counter to 15+ years of instinctive ball hunting. He may never achieve the level required of him to play that role (as he is not going to be handed the keys to his preferred role in the midfield). However, the posters who are commenting on his VFL output and not appreciating that he isn't playing the role that they think he is playing are doing themselves no favours.

i'd give him 2 years. But let it be known in the end of season review that it's last chance saloon. If we offered him 1 I think he'll say suck a lemon and a club like Geelong will roll the dice on him for next to nothing.

We can't be too forceful because no doubt we've contributed to his shitty development. He'd know it, his agent would and so will other teams.

Yes the hints you mention show precisely in the game he is being coached to play at VFL level where he is all mid-defence and zoning as first priority. That is a much harder discipline to instil when it runs counter to 15+ years of instinctive ball hunting. He may never achieve the level required of him to play that role (as he is not going to be handed the keys to his preferred role in the midfield). However, the posters who are commenting on his VFL output and not appreciating that he isn't playing the role that they think he is playing are doing themselves no favours.
He's being coached to not run defensively or spread when we win it and offer something outside the contest? Cmon mate, that's just a lack of effort and that's on Will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's being coached to not run defensively or spread when we win it and offer something outside the contest? Cmon mate, that's just a lack of effort and that's on Will.
That's what I believe to be the case. He is NOT meant to spread and offer something outside the contest. He is meant to be preparing to zone for the transition when we turn it over or get intercepted. That's his role. You're so hell-bent on hating this bloke that you don't understand what he is doing. Again, he may not be performing to the level the coaches expect and he may find himself cut from our list at season's end, but that is not because he is failing to do what you expect him to be doing.

That's what I believe to be the case. He is NOT meant to spread and offer something outside the contest. He is meant to be preparing to zone for the transition when we turn it over or get intercepted. That's his role. You're so hell-bent on hating this bloke that you don't understand what he is doing. Again, he may not be performing to the level the coaches expect and he may find himself cut from our list at season's end, but that is not because he is failing to do what you expect him to be doing.

Give me a spell.

i'd give him 2 years. But let it be known in the end of season review that it's last chance saloon. If we offered him 1 I think he'll say suck a lemon and a club like Geelong will roll the dice on him for next to nothing.

We can't be too forceful because no doubt we've contributed to his shitty development. He'd know it, his agent would and so will other teams.
Id offer him two because his upside potential is vastly better than we could hope to get for him and much higher than many others on the list.

Id offer him two because his upside potential is vastly better than we could hope to get for him and much higher than many others on the list.
Is his potential upside really that great? I think this perception is based on his draft position rather than anything he has shown at North. Is there a regular player in a top team whose role he could play, or aspire to? Pure inside mids aren't that common anymore, and they are either bulls, gut runners or both. I can't think of one with Will's limitations.

<Ducks>
He definitely doesn't deserve any longer than that, but I wonder if any other club will offer 2 years? At this stage you would highly doubt it.

Offering two years to a bloke in his fourth year who can't get a game in a team that hasn't come within 40 points of anyone else?

The straw I’m clinging onto right now is that we’re trying to sort out Will’s weaknesses. In order to do that, we’re forcing him to play a role that doesn’t suit him. Once/If he achieves his KPI’s, he will be allowed to play the football the way he prefers. The rationale being that he will be a better player after his “education”. I have absolutely no idea if what I’ve said is actually happening. However, I know this type of approach has been applied by teams in the past. Let’s face it, the other option is that the glandular fever bout destroyed him. Fingers crossed that he can eventually recovers like Alistair Lynch…

The straw I’m clinging onto right now is that we’re trying to sort out Will’s weaknesses. In order to do that, we’re forcing him to play a role that doesn’t suit him. Once/If he achieves his KPI’s, he will be allowed to play the football the way he prefers. The rationale being that he will be a better player after his “education”. I have absolutely no idea if what I’ve said is actually happening. However, I know this type of approach has been applied by teams in the past. Let’s face it, the other option is that the glandular fever bout destroyed him. Fingers crossed that he can eventually recovers like Alistair Lynch…
Chronic fatigue and glandular fever aren't the same thing
"the other option" is simply that we've wasted pick 3 on a dud (wouldn't be the first time)

Chronic fatigue and glandular fever aren't the same thing
"the other option" is simply that we've wasted pick 3 on a dud (wouldn't be the first time)
Yeah, my bad, I have a tendency to get them mixed up for some reason. Agree, your “doomsday” scenario is in the box seat right now. In fairness, I did mention “straw” and “clinging” in my post. I’m not in any way confident about Will making it. However, I did think he showed plenty in 2021 and then had bad luck with injuries and illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back