Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the explanations and irrationality for Will's lack of output are unhinged.
Ultimately, it will be Clarko’s decision, regardless of the “irrationality” or “rationality” of us nuffies. People have a tendency to like certain players. It’s life.

If you have persistent, long term glandular fever like he did for a year, chances are it's CFS.
Ive mentioned this before and looked it up. It seems people get over it but the fatigue can linger on and in the case of sports people at the elite level that hold up can have a huge impact. He'd be over it now, but as had him playing catch up fitness wise.

Yes, im taking into account his lost covid year and glandular fever
I can see your logic, but my question is whether his physical size and other attributes are condusive to the requirements of today's footy. I hope he can still make it. But I am not sure the odds of this are particularly high

I can see your logic, but my question is whether his physical size and other attributes are condusive to the requirements of today's footy. I hope he can still make it. But I am not sure the odds of this are particularly high
Realisticly, the odds decrease by the week. If he can't force his way in and make himself indispensable by the end of the season, there'll be a new crop of players overtaking him.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Realisticly, the odds decrease by the week. If he can't force his way in and make himself indispensable by the end of the season, there'll be a new crop of players overtaking him.

TBF, that crop debuted last year.

He’s toast.

So we had picks 3, 13 ,36, 43, 56

And we have Powell to show for it and tbh he's hardly a topliner.

So while I'm 100% invested in the 'God I hope Wil makes it' crew.

Still find it highly unlikely that he will. So it seems it will be another disastrous draft year for us.

As the years move forward, more and more players from the covid crop of drafting are emerging.

So my point is , this was never was about blardy McDonald.

But FFS, FMD & FML.

Unfortunately, reality looks likely to prevail. Will can't get a regular game in his preferred position in the weakest side in the competition, and he doesn't have an alternative role - eventually 2 plus 2 will equal trade or delisting

Still find it highly unlikely that he will. So it seems it will be another disastrous draft year for us.

As the years move forward, more and more players from the covid crop of drafting are emerging.

But FFS, FMD & FML.

It's a disastrous return for that draft haul.

When was the last relatively cheap player (picked + 25 in the draft or on less than 400k) who turned up and looks like or will be a top liner?

Larkey?

But FFS, FMD & FML.
I'm the last bloke to defend our List Managers but that has to be the weakest/worst draft in recent history. Excluding academy picks there's maybe 5 good players there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But FFS, FMD & FML.

Let’s be honest, as a club we could fall into a barrel of **** and come out sucking our thumb.

But that was then, and it needs to improve.

But FFS, FMD & FML.

So glad we traded out of the 2019 superdraft to allow our new recruitment manager to flex his muscles in 2020! 😂

Guy a goose of the Joe variety - where he gets most of his goals.

I’ve seen him drop so many laced out passes - these passes don’t exist at our club.

He’d be broken sitting under the helicopter kicks into our f50.

Anyway on Phillips - if we keep drafting kids , it’ll just push Will further down the list.
Trade would probably be best for both sides.
I don’t rate McDonald in the 4 years watching the Swans. Agree with all the above shinboner magic Nor do their fans who see McClean and Amartey as better long term forwards.

The Swans List team are locking in all their guns, with Hayward the latest, and now Warner next. At best he will be offered a 2 year highly incentive based deal, or he can try his luck on the WA market and the Swans jag a 1st rounder or better. Why, because they have a smart list management team. See the Cat Stephen’s deal with Brady for evidence. 😎

So it seems it will be another disastrous draft year for us.
While not wanting drag everything back out for the bazillionth time so we can all pour over the bullshit that has been the last 8 years.

But.......

The club seem to have drawn a line of pre Clarko & Viney and post Clarko and Viney.

So anyone we have from pre this era that looks like they are going to be an AFL quality player is almost a bonus.

I want Will to make it. I really do. I think that he has significantly more heart than some of the absolute cats that we have allowed to pull on our jumper. I have mentioned to you previously that I will back will to put his head in the hole to get the ball, there are a lot of players we have running around that won't do that.

That said, it is a long f***ing road from where he is to being a consistent AFL player.

Personally I would like to see us retain him and give him more time, I mean we would be replacing him with a 4th round selection at best. Give him the rest of the year in the twos and another pre season. What are we denying ourselves? a pick in the 70s? that is probably even more speculative than what Will is now.

I mean we need more speculative kids like we need a hole in the head.

Ultimately, it will be Clarko’s decision, regardless of the “irrationality” or “rationality” of us nuffies. People have a tendency to like certain players. It’s life.
Absolutely, although the so-called irrationality that old mate is describing is not necessarily us nuffies but the coaches themselves. Sometimes they have a tendency to like certain players and sometimes they give players instructions and have expectations that are not immediately clear to us nuffies. I don't regard that as irrational. It's them playing chess while we are struggling with checkers.

It's a disastrous return for that draft haul.

When was the last relatively cheap player (picked + 25 in the draft or on less than 400k) who turned up and looks like or will be a top liner?

Larkey?
Curtis

The club seem to have drawn a line of pre Clarko & Viney and post Clarko and Viney.

So anyone we have from pre this era that looks like they are going to be an AFL quality player is almost a bonus.
If that's the case we have another 10+ years of this crap coming up

I don’t rate McDonald in the 4 years watching the Swans. Agree with all the above shinboner magic Nor do their fans who see McClean and Amartey as better long term forwards.

The Swans List team are locking in all their guns, with Hayward the latest, and now Warner next. At best he will be offered a 2 year highly incentive based deal, or he can try his luck on the WA market and the Swans jag a 1st rounder or better. Why, because they have a smart list management team. See the Cat Stephen’s deal with Brady for evidence. 😎
Cant claim brady is the swans baitch though as tigers have a lock on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back