Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said this before he’s still not fully fit he’s coming from a long way back. He was flying last preseason before he got glandular fever wait until he’s gets back to that level of fitness and if you still think he’s a bust then fine but people are going way too early on him.

My argument is that he’s not the budding super star that you expect with a pick 3. Am I wrong?
Dom Tyson was a pick three too. They're not all guns.

But as far as WAP goes right now he's played as many games as LDU had by the end of his second season, twenty-one. Their stats are very similar and they've both shown glimpses of some good play by this stage in their career. Will potentially has more games left to play thios year than LDU played in his third season (2020, tho that was the year covid came to town and the shorter games mean its harder to compare those games). Will also had glandular fever. LDU had injuries and a sick father.

Its hard to compare their careers exactly at this point and they're different players but they aren't necessarily showing a different level of output.

Will already came in with a low fitness base after a COVID-interrupted draft year.

Then factor in the glandular fever last year, which would have wiped out any gains he made fitness-wise in his first year on the list.

He will probably be a slower burn than we all hope but confident he will make it, particularly as he gets some continuity in training and playing week in, week out, combined with his work ethic, which from all reports is as good as it gets.

Back him in.

Will already came in with a low fitness base after a COVID-interrupted draft year.

Then factor in the glandular fever last year, which would have wiped out any gains he made fitness-wise in his first year on the list.

He will probably be a slower burn than we all hope but confident he will make it, particularly as he gets some continuity in training and playing week in, week out, combined with his work ethic, which from all reports is as good as it gets.

Back him in.
If he wasn't already known for his work ethic and how seriously he takes his job, then I might be having some doubts. But he's made of tough stuff and isn't afraid of hard work. Maybe he'll never be the superstar some want from a pick 3, but if he doesn't have any more bad luck then he'll give us good to great service for a long time to come. It sucks he isn't able to show it now, when we are quite desperate for midfield coverage, but that's just how it is.

If he wasn't already known for his work ethic and how seriously he takes his job, then I might be having some doubts. But he's made of tough stuff and isn't afraid of hard work. Maybe he'll never be the superstar some want from a pick 3, but if he doesn't have any more bad luck then he'll give us good to great service for a long time to come. It sucks he isn't able to show it now, when we are quite desperate for midfield coverage, but that's just how it is.
I expect Will's career will be comparable with Ben Cunnington.

What type of midfielder ‘can’ he be?

I’m trying to look for comparisons. So far I’ve got Daniel Rich’s physique but not as powerful? Anyone else got something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What type of midfielder ‘can’ he be?

I’m trying to look for comparisons. So far I’ve got Daniel Rich’s physique but not as powerful? Anyone else got something?
Luke Ball?

He obviously hasn’t peaked. At his best he should be a little wrecking ball that moters around the ground non-stop. He’ll need to get stronger and add endurance. That requires time - a handful of preseasons.

It is what it is.

I wasn't sold on LDU early as I didn't see the burst that was spoken about during his junior years even though you could see the footwork. It appears that his groins were the culprit. Now we can see it.

Likewise, not sold on Philips, although I can see the vision and ability to work in a phone box. My query for him, which doesn't appear to be a strength at junior level, is whether he can be a physical player and develop a burst. I can't see it right now, he looks neat but thats about it. He has time though but also a lot of competition in there which LDU doesn't have.

Perkins would have been the better pick for me but can't look back now.

No other pick from 2020 (later than pick 3) have offered anything so significant yet that we should be stressing that we "missed out". At this stage Phillips has as much potential as all of them.
He uses it well. Just needs more of it. Hopefully this comes with more fitness and experience. Time will tell.
There are far bigger issues at the moment.

I agree, but all 6 of those players have more upside than Will in terms of what they can become.
Given WP was supposed to be a ready made plug and play Ashcroft/Serong/Rowell it clearly hasn’t work so far.

I would have chosen Perkins myself but that is knowing we get Powell and Wardlaw

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree, but all 6 of those players have more upside than Will in terms of what they can become.
Given WP was supposed to be a ready made plug and play Ashcroft/Serong/Rowell it clearly hasn’t work so far.
ah, Rowell, there's an interesting comparison

great first 5 games and then... none for the rest of the season, out injured.

on his return the following season clearly on a level much lower than how it started, and missed a further 12 games in that season too

3rd season, gettin back up there. Not at the same pace as the start, some good games, some less than good games.

4th season (this one) back at it more consistantly, getting in amongst it like the first season.

So that's three years in between the form he first established.

It happens.

We got screwed by Covid, it was a guessing game more than any other draft in recent history.

In saying that we still might have the right guy, let’s hope so.
The draft was more a guessing game for all clubs no doubt given covid - but we openly admitted to not even speaking with WP in the 6 months prior to the draft. He was as surprised as anyone to go to us. That doesn't sound like requisite due diligence was undertaken by us - even allowing for covid.

As you say he still might be the best of the 1-10 selected - he has shown glimpses of good form and skill - very professional in his prep and has some bad luck so far re illness.

Too early to say he is a bust (he turns 21 next week) - and pure hyperbole at this stage to say he will end up anything like a Cunners.

2024 is where we should expect Will to make good progress - ie play 18 games in the firsts, get good midfield minutes when regulars are injured and play a couple of games with 25 plus disposals.

2025 then needs to be his significant improvement year.

in 18 months time we will have the answer on where Wi Phi is headed.

ah, Rowell, there's an interesting comparison

great first 5 games and then... none for the rest of the season, out injured.

on his return the following season clearly on a level much lower than how it started, and missed a further 12 games in that season too

3rd season, gettin back up there. Not at the same pace as the start, some good games, some less than good games.

4th season (this one) back at it more consistantly, getting in amongst it like the first season.

So that's three years in between the form he first established.

It happens.

It was 4 good games for Rowell in his first season as he came off with injury very early in his 5th. So he was an absolute wasted pick for 18 games in his first season going by a lot of logic floating around. Obviously, Will's output during his injury absence was equal to Rowell's output during his absence so it's a decent comparison outside of those 4 games. As for Will being ready to go, I don't think anyone believed that to be the case given his Covid-interrupted draft year. No way did he arrive with the conditioning needed to play midfield in his first game.

The draft was more a guessing game for all clubs no doubt given covid - but we openly admitted to not even speaking with WP in the 6 months prior to the draft. He was as surprised as anyone to go to us. That doesn't sound like requisite due diligence was undertaken by us - even allowing for covid.

As you say he still might be the best of the 1-10 selected - he has shown glimpses of good form and skill - very professional in his prep and has some bad luck so far re illness.

Too early to say he is a bust (he turns 21 next week) - and pure hyperbole at this stage to say he will end up anything like a Cunners.

2024 is where we should expect Will to make good progress - ie play 18 games in the firsts, get good midfield minutes when regulars are injured and play a couple of games with 25 plus disposals.

2025 then needs to be his significant improvement year.

in 18 months time we will have the answer on where Wi Phi is headed.

Yes because talking to Will in his draft year certainly would have given a strong indication that he was going to be struck down by glandular fever following a bout of Covid at some point in the future. :rolleyes:

Seriously, anyone who has spoken to the bloke comes away impressed. With the benefit of hindsight, you can level the accusation that 5 minutes in the presence of Jason Horne Francis reveals everything you need to know including serious red flags and reasons to possibly look elsewhere. But you don't see that with Will Phillips so the due diligence argument is not relevant to any discussion about whether he was best choice at pick 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back