Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Frustrating day but when the dust settles it was a great year. Marshall, Steele, Hill Coops massive, a lot very disappointing but can’t blame the kids, good experience for them, they’ll be better for it.

Just need to keep adding quality and developing system and culture.

I'll start with the negatives:

As good as Cordy has been in some weeks, there's a reason the Dogs weren't desperate to keep him and play him in defence. He works well as part of the system but is genuine exposed 1 on 1.

Our midfield got smashed.

Jack Steele can't be captain next year. That might be the least effective 38 possession game in the history of the sport. I hope we find out both of his shoulders need replacing because he just hasn't been impactful all year.

We still need to work out the "Kick it to King" shit. Once the Giants got on top the panic bombs set it and they were able to kill the ball and run off us all day. Move him to CHF and the I50 kicks become less predictable.

Now the good stuff:

Marshall was immense. We don't need a 2nd ruck. We just need someone to give him a decent chop out. He thrives being #1.

Brad Hill loves the MCG. Need to request more games there from the AFL if possible because he goes up a notch with all that space and fresh air.

Nas and Owens are gonna be absolute weapons in 2-3 years. Get them to that 60 game mark and look out!

Overall it was a positive year. Nobody would have realistically had us 6th preseason given the lack of talent on the list. Add in all the injuries and you can see why RTB is such a gun coach.

Massive off season for the list managers. We need to develop a midfield ASAP.

Looking forward to 2024!!

We were in it the whole game but just couldn’t string enough goals together. Big thing is hopefully we keep building next year.
We’ll be right bull. This time last year I thought we were ****ed for the next five years but then came along Rtb.
We’ve got some
Great young fellers that will develop together and our old boys aren’t that bad.
We’re close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have everything but a midfield. Just gotta move the pieces that get currency that will never form part of a midfield. Gresham Clark two gotta go. Dougal too.
Problem is this is also hardest part of the ground to fix quickly. Really need to find 2 ball winning big mids for next season, can’t expect the kids to step up right away. Hope Sos and Gubby get to work, Henry, Dow + 2 more young pure mids looking for opportunity + draft

He had a shocker but yeh, he’s 18. Sincs and Wilkie are AA and we’re both pretty poor too.

Just wasn’t our day
He is 18 and all going well he will have 50 games under his belt before he is 20.

He was a bit overawed, but he knows now what it takes to be a finals player.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot of the problem today was how easily they rebounded from half-back. We didn't go in with enough system and we couldn't keep it there (after the first 10 minutes). But a lot of fight was shown and we weren't humiliated the way it looked like it was going to turn out in the second quarter.

As for the season, I dunno. A lot of positives but a lot of familiar problems.

Marshall was an absolute colossus. it confuses me why some people on here called for him to be traded during the year
It's the ground dominance vs tap dominance debate, he had 28 touches but at 50% - but that was 20 kicks, if he had a solid midfield around him and gets more handballs in he would be a superstar at the rate he wins the ball. For example + Seb had 24 touches and also went at 50% so Marshall might as well take the surge footy kicks that he has been instructed to do

Well yeah, hammer and kind need to spend all preseason together! Learning where to be and when. Can't have them crashing into each other like they did today.

Haven't mentioned it all season but I'm concerned about Pou, gets scared way too often.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
They crash into each other because every entry is either a scrubber along the ground or a helicopter to the top of the square with 15 blokes contesting it. No matter how good you are... Even Carey wouldn't dominate games on the end of that rubbish.

A team of battlers with next to no finals experience with kids tagged onto every line, playing a finals hardened and well drilled team with some of the best players in the competition.
We fought hard...and punched well above our weight given the expectations for us by the "experts"
Expecting a pile on by the media, but f*CK them.
Time to enjoy the off season.

Hunter Clark is not it. Can go to North for all I care

We have everything but a midfield. Just gotta move the pieces that get currency that will never form part of a midfield. Gresham Clark two gotta go. Dougal too.
Trade our future first and whatever else required to get 4 from the suns and draft Duursma. Strike while the iron is hot.. Our kids are elite. Need to add another elite kid to the mix now.

They crash into each other because every entry is either a scrubber along the ground or a helicopter to the top of the square with 15 blokes contesting it. No matter how good you are... Even Carey wouldn't dominate games on the end of that rubbish.
Agreed, coaches need to get them working into spaces better and the mids need to actually kick their advantage. The latter of those I feel might be too much to ask of our mids that are not Nas or Sinclair

He had a shocker but yeh, he’s 18. Sincs and Wilkie are AA and we’re both pretty poor too.

Just wasn’t our day
Just getting him in the lineup in a final will give him the experience on what is needed to be a elite player , he is still only a boy and will only go from strength to strength every year.
Nas , Owens , Windhager , Sharman , Hammer , Higgins , King are still only baby's and they will be all out to get back to finals next year - Hammer had a shocker but it's all experience for the kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back