Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Every club needs to aim for the run and gun play on quick game plan the hawks are developing otherwise we’re all gonna get left behind.
They’ve got a year on everyone.

Rowan was the best player on the ground by a country mile. Briggs was OK but he was hardly Sandilands with the service he gave to the midfield. Our midfield was just gutless as they come. That was the issue... And our U12 level delivery inside 50

Both had 7 hit outs to advantage.
One was awesome once the ruck was done.

We got beaten by the better team on the day. On to trade season and a brighter 2024, I'm not too disappointed tbh.
Losing Membrey hurt more than I'd have thought. I hope he's ok.

Yeah the GWS defenders just had too much size, strength and experience for our young tall forwards and Membrey would have helped there.

King and Sharman battled on manfully but Caminiti looked out of his depth today and it wasn't a surprise when he got subbed off.

Hayes would have helped too to give us some more size, strength and experience up forward, hopefully he gets back fit along with Membrey.

King, Sharman and Caminiti need to hit the gym hard over the off season too to get bigger and stronger, they get brushed aside too easily.

Yeah the GWS defenders just had too much size, strength and experience for our young tall forwards and Membrey would have helped there.

King and Sharman battled on manfully but Caminiti looked out of his depth today and it wasn't a surprise when he got subbed off.

Hayes would have helped too to give us some more size, strength and experience up forward, hopefully he gets back fit along with Membrey.

King, Sharman and Caminiti need to hit the gym hard over the off season too to get bigger and stronger, they get brushed aside too easily.
2 more years they'll be unbeatable.

Agreed, coaches need to get them working into spaces better and the mids need to actually kick their advantage. The latter of those I feel might be too much to ask of our mids that are not Nas or Sinclair

Take note late in the game though, Row gets the tap, straight to Owens on a burst, Owens kicks I50 under zero pressure at all, it is clean AF. This takes all of 5-6 seconds from a restart CC.

Ming is standing still.
Butler is standing still.
Sharman is moving.
Higgins is starting to move.
Ball is already in flight, every single GWS defender is either moving or starting to move.

Now game is dead at that point obviously, but how can you have half your forward set up as a forward line doing SFA whilst your midfield is actually the one with impetus? That's not coaching, that's player oriented and them not being switched on or giving a stuff.

So what did they do? Brought a one eyed Wood back on, what does he do, right he runs with the flight of things, much like Sharman who you'll note was the one moving that read Owens intent and line, but then he and Higgins had to deal with Butler and Mings defenders as they ended up getting caught behind an I50 entry that was ours just due to being slow.

When a one eyed Wood is preferred for an I50 entry, you have problems with player potential in a match, that is not coaching, that is players being sub par in those moments in a match.

It was a very good season

Not good enough but did not stop trying the whole game

2 midfielders short

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why we kept him in but Cordy lost every single 1 on 1 and cost us at least 4 goals directly.

Sat behind goals and Cordy was arse. Lost every contest and made really bad decisions

Hard to blame the defenders too much. Was really really glaring at the ground that the clearances being so clean and there being so much pace on the ball in spread meant they were pretty cooked every time

Lost in the midfield. We looked slow and lost contests.

I understand why we kept him in but Cordy lost every single 1 on 1 and cost us at least 4 goals directly.
Yeah
But a better midfield would make our defence much stronger

Sat behind goals and Cordy was arse. Lost every contest and made really bad decisions

He's not great but it's really down to the midfield. Fix that up and we're in business. Giants beat us up around the ball. Their entries are so much cleaner that ours.

I think that was the most un-Ross game of the season. Every part of him would have hated the way the team played today.

The Giants' transition was just too good all day.

Nas and Sharman were my standouts from the kids, absolutely big game players.

Our midfield remains to be one paced and our leaders continue to be uninspiring.

Gresham stood up too.

We’re right where I expected us to be.

We’ve got room to grow though, and time on our side too. Trade and draft periods coming up. Untested talent in the twos and promising stars in the firsts.

Hopefully it’s a fun, prosperous, off-season and we naturally progress in whatever ways we can.

Midfield let us down today, again. That’s where it’s at, super keen to see what Ross and co can do, now that they’ve got a taste for what we have and what’s out there.

It’s a good time to be a Saints fan, see ya’ll in the off-season

You really notice how hard Brad Hill works when you go to the game.

Battle has a presence about him.

Cordy got absolutely pantsed.

Wasn't impressed with Higgins. At all

Butler... kick a drop punt mate.

Our kicking... again. We just turn the ball over and it destroys us.

People love Ross Lyon's year.... I get it... but fmd when I see our midfield getting smashed and Owens is in the goal square I want to break sh*t. It's the single biggest failing of the year imo. Next year I want to see Owens and Windhager in the middle where they belong.

Nas is a star.

We need good kicks people. We need good kicks. We need people with footy iq that can look inside 50 and make the right decision, then execute. Until we get that, we won't contend.

Last edited:

Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back