Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Must get better from here.

Far out our midfield today was just smaaaaaaaashed. Marshall or nothing

Hate the loss, but the year was absolutely positive. Need to build on it.
Clearances pretty even, we couldn't keep the ball in our fwd line and it went to the other end fast enough they scored easily and made our defence look poor.

Lost to a better team.

I don't blame kids like Pou for being gassed from half year but seriously, Max King and Hunter Clarke are lazy footballers just to name a couple.

Watching players trying to checkside 40m+ rather than drop punt in their range is beyond flipping stupid imo.

Some without contracts don't deserve one imo.

Overall steps forward this year.
Bring on the trade period.

Last thing before I pack it in.

68.5k against a team with no more than 2000 supporters at the ground really shows what the Saints can be regarding crowds.
66k Sainters today, fantastic effort

Let the sleeping Giant awaken.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liam Henry will help with our kicking skills and speed if we can get him but he isn't the inside bull type of midfielder we so badly need.

He's more of an outside Brad Hill type of operator, we need a Brayshaw or Serong type of operator but I don't think Freo will trade them.

Last thing before I pack it in.

68.5k against a team with no more than 2000 supporters at the ground really shows what the Saints can be regarding crowds.
66k Sainters today, fantastic effort

Let the sleeping Giant awaken.

We sat near their cheer squad, they actually had a great turn out. Passionate fans too.

You really notice how hard Brad Hill works when you go to the game.

Battle has a presence about him.

Cordy got absolutely pantsed.

Wasn't impressed with Higgins. At all

Butler... kick a drop punt mate.

Our kicking... again. We just turn the ball over and it destroys us.

People love Ross Lyon's year.... I get it... but fmd when I see our midfield getting smashed and Owens is in the goal square I want to break sh*t. It's the single biggest failing of the year imo. Next year, I want to see Owens and Windhager in the middle where they belong.

Nas is a star.

We need good kicks people. We need good kicks. We need people with footy iq that can look inside 50 and make the right decision, then execute. Until we get that, we won't contend.
Exactly, really need contested and aggressive mids in there. I would even consider move Steele to a tagged role, where he can use his tackling as a weapon, he is not a ball winning mid. This leaves Owens, Crouch, Windhager, Brynes, Dow if he joins, will also add Stocker to the mix as he is actually a true mid. Unfortunately looks like Bytel will not make it.

Disappointed but not devastated.
We know we don't have the out and out class to compete with a team full of first round draft picks right now.

We pegged back two 40+ leads and didn’t disgrace ourselves.

Kudos to Marshall, Steele, NAS, Hilly, Sincs and Sharman.

Onward and upward. In Ross and team, I still trust.

The crowd was amazing and loud and it was great to play at the G.
Great experience for our youngsters.

Can only mark the season as a success.
I’m going into 2024 full of optimism!

Last edited:
Liam Henry will help with our kicking skills and speed if we can get him but he isn't the inside bull type of midfielder we so badly need.

He's more of an outside Brad Hill type of operator, we need a Brayshaw or Serong type of operator but I don't think Freo will trade them.

We lack both. They won first use and ran off us on the outside.

We sat near their cheer squad, they actually had a great turn out. Passionate fans too.
They are paid a retainer by the AFL. The aren't real supporters.
I could see them from the members, maybe 200-300, a couple sprinkled around the ground
66k Sainters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lack both. They won first use and ran off us on the outside.
Because we can’t win the first use, our outside players also get sucked in trying to help/pressure, leaving opposition players spread easily on the outside. Fix the inside players, we fix the problem.

A radical idea, worse case scenario we don’t get any other young mids in except Dow and Henry (forward / Wing), we run with Owens, Sinclair, Crouch, Winghager, Brynes, Stocker, Dow. Add Steele as a permanent tagger on opposition’s best mid (using his best weapon in tackling).

Wing: Wood + Hill + Henry

FF: Butler, King, Sharman
HF: Owens, Camaniti, Henry
C: Wood, Crouch, Hill
HB: Wanganeen-Milera, Wilkie, Sinclair
FB: Battle, Cordy, TBC
R: Marshall, Stocker, Steele
Int: Dow, Windhager, Brynes, Higgins

One of Owens or Sinclair to rotate into midfield during the game to support

Last edited:
GWS controlled the game from halfway in Q1. They are a decent hardened side - better than I thought.

Way too many skill errors not under pressure and an inability to win the 50/50 ball. Forward pressure lacking as they ran the ball out of defence time and time again.

Couldnt get any run out of defence early from Sinclair and Wilkie (Sinclair better when moved into the midfield but I don’t think he would be happy with his game). Liked the move of Stocker on - thought he was good. They kept Wilkie occupied with Greene etc.

Our kicks into the forward 50 rubbish; GWS kicks to advantage and they scored.

Marshall and Sharman excellent. NAS got better & better. Hill tried but some skill errors. Liked Battle and Windys second halves (Windy had a real crack). I’m probably way too harsh on Steele as it was probably one of his best games stats wise but I didn’t think he had a great influence. Kelly a different story.

Not enough contributors & leadership lacking.

Overall I’m not negative - we had a bad day on the big stage - we have improved but still off the pace. Lacked polish and couldn’t execute our game plan but pumped a finals game into our kids. Hammer on a hiding to nothing so forget about today.

Im not sure too many players will enjoy the feedback on todays game. Gresh and Clark - if they go they go - they both need to improve if they are going to help us in September.

Long day - opening a red!

ps umpiring was ordinary - but didn’t cost us the game.

Disappointed with the result but proud of the effort and season. There was a point in the 2nd quarter where a lesser team would have rolled over and accepted they were getting smashed but we kept trying until the end. That attitude will hold us in good stead moving forward.

- Inexperienced showed today but the kids will be great. After a rough start, Nas turned it around and finished fantastic. Windy and Owens both did some good things in the 2nd half. Phillipou will be better for the expereince.

- Defence was as bad as they've been all year, particularly in the first half. Wilkie playing in Greene and changing the role he's played all season was a mistake. He looked lost at times because he was trying to mind him but trying to be in his usual positions and ended up on no mans land. Cordy's flaws were badly exposed today. Stocker was good when he came on and made me question even more why he didn't start. It would

- Kings going to be unstoppable once that shoulder is fixed. You could see him favouring one side and his hesitation to hit contests on one side but even a non-dominate game from him on the best FB in the comp gets us 3 goals. So excited to see him once he's fit.

- Hill at the MCG is elite. Marshall is the best ruck in the comp. Steele stood up today - an uninterrupted preseason from him and he will be back to his best.

Is this serious? Rowan was incredible. What game were you watching?
Was good around the ground, got soundly beaten in the hit outs by a lumpy kid. They won the game in the clearances and he got beaten there.

St Blunda rolls on.

And you’ll add Liam Henry. That’s the kind of footballer that will take your forward in finals…… NOT
Good one 👍

Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final, 2023: St.Kilda v GWS *WEBSTER 150TH* *BATTLE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back