Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Still coming down after that one I have to say.

A few observations from having watched the replay....

I want anyone ragging on under 50 game layers to go watch Zuthrie's game from Thursday night.

Bloke was unreal and is still extremely under rated in a global sense - but he just does his job and gets it done. Purs his head over it when it s his turn to do so and his kicking is sublime - the one where he took running at pace rebounding from D 50 and his Dempsey in stride 40m downfield was sublime - like Boris skills good - no he's not Boris but you get the idea.

The point about ragging on the kids - FFS give them time. Everyone with an arseh*le pointing to the ground ripped Zuthrie to pieces early days and look at him now.

Atkins another one who served up a nice can of FU to his critics again. Bruhn has his best game in the hoops.

You reckon Holmes doenst care about Finals - hes more desperate than anyone - and talk about desperate.

Mannagh - for the last 10 years he's had dreams of playing an AFL game. 1. Now he's won a QF and has a Prelim to play.
He plays every game likes its his last. Body on the the line and smart team based footy. Gets a little Bartlett Hungry at times but is working on it.

Neale too -playing his role and making a contest.

There are more - this could be our time against the odds......

Go Catters

I want anyone ragging on under 50 game layers to go watch Zuthrie's game from Thursday night.

Bloke was unreal and is still extremely under rated in a global sense - but he just does his job and gets it done. Purs his head over it when it s his turn to do so and his kicking is sublime - the one where he took running at pace rebounding from D 50 and his Dempsey in stride 40m downfield was sublime - like Boris skills good - no he's not Boris but you get the idea.

The point about ragging on the kids - FFS give them time. Everyone with an arseh*le pointing to the ground ripped Zuthrie to pieces early days and look at him now.

Atkins another one who served up a nice can of FU to his critics again. Bruhn has his best game in the hoops.

You reckon Holmes doenst care about Finals - hes more desperate than anyone - and talk about desperate.

Mannagh - for the last 10 years he's had dreams of playing an AFL game. 1. Now he's won a QF and has a Prelim to play.
He plays every game likes its his last. Body on the the line and smart team based footy. Gets a little Bartlett Hungry at times but is working on it.

Go Catters

It's just so unbelievable that we're in a prelim with the ins/outs from the last side that went into Sep. How?!

I've got a wedding to attend this weekend and some pre-wedding event on Friday so it could not have worked out better.
im sure you'll look all pretty and special..... and then turn back into a screaming mess like the rest of us the week after lol

GO Catters

Go Catters
People watching a replay can do the same with Duncan. That had to be the most undeservingly criticised performance all year.

First quarter he has two poor moments with ball in hand. Neither result in a turnover, we just get a throw in.

Without ball in hand Duncan has two moments that were hardly disgraceful but he could’ve done better in. The contest in the middle against Evans where he allows him to get a handball off. But Port had two runners coming through unmarked to create the outnumber, who was tracking those? Then once he sort of ran over the ball but it still scrambled around until the next Cats player picked it up anyway.

But even within that first quarter he still had good kicks exiting 50 and going inside 50 (Jezza should’ve marked a bullet pass 30m out). His pressure made Georgiades snap at goal miss. He was getting involved.

Then quarters 2-4 went off pretty much without a hitch. The third quarter especially he was winning 50/50s and absolutely nailing his kicks inside 50. He also released players with handballs that got our running game going. Eventually the criticism subsided as you really couldn’t fault a single thing in the second half, but at HT people were again calling for an in game retirement.

Duncan finished with 15 of his 19 disposals being effective (not many in the ground had more effective disposals), fought hard without the ball (which will never be his strength as far as defensive contests) and was a good contributor.

I wonder if any did watch the replay and revised their harsh opinions in his performance.

People watching a replay can do the same with Duncan. That had to be the most undeservingly criticised performance all year.

First quarter he has two poor moments with ball in hand. Neither result in a turnover, we just get a throw in.

Without ball in hand Duncan has two moments that were hardly disgraceful but he could’ve done better in. The contest in the middle against Evans where he allows him to get a handball off. But Port had two runners coming through unmarked to create the outnumber, who was tracking those? Then once he sort of ran over the ball but it still scrambled around until the next Cats player picked it up anyway.

But even within that first quarter he still had good kicks exiting 50 and going inside 50 (Jezza should’ve marked a bullet pass 30m out). His pressure made Georgiades snap at goal miss. He was getting involved.

Then quarters 2-4 went off pretty much without a hitch. The third quarter especially he was winning 50/50s and absolutely nailing his kicks inside 50. He also released players with handballs that got our running game going. Eventually the criticism subsided as you really couldn’t fault a single thing in the second half, but at HT people were again calling for an in game retirement.

Duncan finished with 15 of his 19 disposals being effective (not many in the ground had more effective disposals), fought hard without the ball (which will never be his strength as far as defensive contests) and was a good contributor.

I wonder if any did watch the replay and revised their harsh opinions in his performance.
I thought Mullin put in a better shift, if he made some of the mistakes Duncan did when the game was up for grabs he’d be getting crucified here, if it comes down to either Mullin Or Duncan giving way for Stewart I’m going for youth and speed/pressure over experience, we have enough of that now. I know you’ll disagree and that’s fine.

I thought Mullin put in a better shift, if he made some of the mistakes Duncan did when the game was up for grabs he’d be getting crucified here, if it comes down to either Mullin Or Duncan giving way for Stewart I’m going for youth and speed/pressure over experience, we have enough of that now. I know you’ll disagree and that’s fine.
You must not have seen Duncan actually getting crucified, for two imperfect kicks and losing a single 50/50 contest for the game.

Note that there was no comment on the many effective disposals and contests he still had in the first half. He even got the ball to ground from a marking contest in forward 50 for Ollie Henry to get an easy crumbing goal. He was the one who started looking for Humphries to involve him in the first half. 15 effective disposals in a final is very good. If you take him out, more attention can be paid to stopping Zuthrie and Humphries.

I was happy with Mullin too. Completely different role so we’re comparing apples and organges.

Let others take the headlines as we knuckle down for a tough prelim …. Job still to do , so should be a strong week on the track this week . Coaches would need to have a look at both GWS and the lions during the week and share their observations/ plans with the players before they play this weekend just to switch them on. Business as usual .

Not much being said in the media about us.
It’s all Hawthorn and Sydney.

You’d think a team that goes interstate in a final and belts the home team by 84 (should have been 130 minimum) gets talked up. But no, instead all I’m hearing is how shit port are.
It’s bizarre

I like flying under the radar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like MM says, hope the other four sides belt the crap out of one another, and sit back as a neutral and enjoy it.

Best case? Both games go the entire distance, including the two extra-time (10min?) halves, and wind up with a stack of sore bodies. I'd certainly take a banged up Brisbane scraping through in a one point thriller...but maybe that's just me. ;)

You must not have seen Duncan actually getting crucified, for two imperfect kicks and losing a single 50/50 contest for the game.

Note that there was no comment on the many effective disposals and contests he still had in the first half. He even got the ball to ground from a marking contest in forward 50 for Ollie Henry to get an easy crumbing goal. He was the one who started looking for Humphries to involve him in the first half. 15 effective disposals in a final is very good. If you take him out, more attention can be paid to stopping Zuthrie and Humphries.

I was happy with Mullin too. Completely different role so we’re comparing apples and organges.
Mullin’s confidence and belief should deservedly be growing. He is not the finished product yet but the club considers him good enough to play in a final.

My gut tells me Brisbane and Port will prevail this weekend.

I respect what the Hawks have done, I just think that writing Port off based on Thursday is dangerous, and the Hawks could potentially only go so far.

Brisbane did well and I reckon based on how GWS went against Sydney, Brisbane will get it done. Maybe the only question is the location..

I am quietly confident facing either of Brisbane or GWS at the MCG.. we'll be fresher, that's for sure.

Last edited:

I respect what the Hawks have done, I just think that writing Port off based on Thursday is dangerous, and the Hawks could potentially only go so far.

Brisbane did well and I reckon based on how GWS went against Sydney, Brisbane will get it done. Maybe the only question is the location..

I am quietly confident facing either of Brisbane or GWS at the MCG.. we'll be fresher, that's for sure.

I'm hoping for Brisbane personally. They're flaky AF at times and we've opened up them up twice in the last two prelims against them. I know the worm can turn (i.e. us vs Port) but I think they're more suspect. GWS feel the team to beat for me (especially for us), even though they lost the plot in the last quarter.

Not much being said in the media about us.
It’s all Hawthorn and Sydney.

You’d think a team that goes interstate in a final and belts the home team by 84 (should have been 130 minimum) gets talked up. But no, instead all I’m hearing is how shit port are.
It’s bizarre

I like flying under the radar.

Hawks and Sydney story lines are probably more attractive than ours - I think the media as well as opposition fans are just tired of us constantly going against the trends and being in contention so often.
I've got mates who are footy diehards who just shake their heads and marvel about how we go about our business , they are in awe of us to be frank but don't want to talk about it :)

That was a masterclass on Thursday , Port were completely neutered and had no answers on and off field.
Special mention to Bowes ( I think) who laid the Butters tackle and really hurt him - completely in the rules but with that bit of extra spice that you need in big games.
We had a steely resolve ALL game , repeat that 2 more times ..................

Apparently 11 / 11 teams that lose the QF by 50 or more go on to win the SF the next week. Given this, I would expect them to be much better this week. Also good news for the cats. 11/11 Teams that win the QF by 50 or more go on to make the GF with 8 premiers!

Consider the opposition
GWS have Hogan and Cadman, potentially Riccardi too
Brisbane have Daniher, Hipwood and Morris
Dekonning, Blicavs and Henry should be requirement down back
Stewart then can play defensive mid as interceptor
Tuohy and Mullin out for mine
Kolo DeKonning Zuthrie
Humphries Blicavs J.Henry
Dempsey Holmes Mannagh
Miers Cameron Close
Stengle Neale O.Henry
Stanley Dangerfield Stewart
Bowes, Bruhn, Bews, Duncan, Atkins
I'd have Bews in the 22 for C. Cameron or Daniels
Perhaps Duncan as sub

Trying not to think about what lays ahead, because then I get like this

Scared 30 Rock GIF by HULU

Consider the opposition
GWS have Hogan and Cadman, potentially Riccardi too
Brisbane have Daniher, Hipwood and Morris
Dekonning, Blicavs and Henry should be requirement down back
Stewart then can play defensive mid as interceptor
Tuohy and Mullin out for mine
Kolo DeKonning Zuthrie
Humphries Blicavs J.Henry
Dempsey Holmes Mannagh
Miers Cameron Close
Stengle Neale O.Henry
Stanley Dangerfield Stewart
Bowes, Bruhn, Bews, Duncan, Atkins
I'd have Bews in the 22 for C. Cameron or Daniels
Perhaps Duncan as sub
Considering the opposition, both have a few smalls that we’ll need to put minutes into. Guthrie, Mullin and Bews will all be given matchups, and this is where Duncan is a luxury in this team, particularly with Stewart returning.

Considering the opposition, both have a few smalls that we’ll need to put minutes into. Guthrie, Mullin and Bews will all be given matchups, and this is where Duncan is a luxury in this team, particularly with Stewart returning.
Tuohy the luxury.

Stewart has been playing midfield for 2 months. If it’s like for like they have to trim the midfield rotation. Duncan hasn’t been playing any midfield minutes.

Zuthrie has taken smalls throughout the year and can do so again if needed to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back