Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I think SDK comes in. Oscar McInerney has hurt us in the past. I like Stanley, Blicavs tag teaming on the big O, running him into the ground. That is allowed if Sam DK can hold down one of Brisbane's tall forwards.

Last edited:
I'm worried that bringing SDK in hurts our run off HB. Genuinely torn as to what to do with that selection this week.

Sidenote: it's weird how the media has spent the finals series focusing in on the Hawkins situation as if that's the major selection decision the Cats have to weigh up this week, when in reality Hawkins has maybe a 0.1% chance of playing and that's not a particularly tough selection dilemma at all. Meanwhile the actually tough major selection decision - namely, whether SDK comes into the side or whether we leave him out - is getting minimal attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take.

Biggest decision for MC this week is SDK. I'm starting to think we bring him in for two reasons:

- Oscar McInerney (can Stanley keep up with him all night??)

- SDK can tag team with Blicavs against Daniher, chop out for Stanley (1 of 3 will continuously rotate on the bench).

We do lose a bit of run off half back, but a safer option imo.

Stewart will come in for Mullin.

Bews stays in (for either Cameron or Ah Chee)

Sub - Touhy most likely as he could come in and play in most positions. Cam Guthrie, Mullin, Knevitt next in line...

Another side note would be Hawkins, but you would think they would back in Neale from here in... surely?

It was not as loud due to the commentary team, and the poor crowd, but that comeback against a home team, highly touted, was utterly exceptional. The belief and spirit could galvanise them like Geelong 94, but there is no foreboding team like the 94 WCE to fear the week after.

The scoreline 15-15 to 15-10 reveals 30 goals, and some of them were top shelf.
To me, one of the best finals I've watched since 1963.

We have some reasons for hope, all 4 teams are in a position to win it, and there will be no upsets, but certainly 2 of the best 2024 teams played off last night
To me it's the age old question of "Were Brisbane really good, or did GWS just run out of gas?"

And the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Good win and I might credit Brisbane more if the same thing hadn't effectively happened to GWS the week before.

My take.

Biggest decision for MC this week is SDK. I'm starting to think we bring him in for two reasons:

- SDK can tag team with Blicavs against Daniher, chop out for Stanley (1 of 3 will continuously rotate on the bench).

Sub - Touhy most likely as he could come in and play in most positions. Cam Guthrie, Mullin, Knevitt next in line...

Another side note would be Hawkins, but you would think they would back in Neale from here in... surely?
Seems reasonable to me.

Hawkins is only coming in if Neale decides to become a monk in the next two weeks, and even then, I reckon Scotty will convince him to wait until the off-season before taking his vows.

My take.

If Stewart comes in for Mullin and SDK replaces tuohy. Who starts sub? A good problem to have but a few tough choices, Duncan, Bowes, O Henry?

To me it's the age old question of "Were Brisbane really good, or did GWS just run out of gas?"

And the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. Good win and I might credit Brisbane more if the same thing hadn't effectively happened to GWS the week before.
Watching Green and Greene handball wildly over their heads under pressure in the last quarter was glorious viewing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back