Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean yes it needs Dangerfield, but it doesn't need Dangerfield to carry them if that makes sense
No doubt the objective is for Danger to play his role but not lose momentum when he rests. Spread the load.

The mix we took into the QF was fantastic - Atkins/Bruhn/Bowes/Blitz and Mannagh ( at times as a mid) gave us solid MF performance with Bruhn , Bowes and Mannagh all hitting the scoreboard as well.
Throw in Miers , Close ,Stengle and Mannagh ( as a forward) and we have a potent mix of smalls who can run and create all day between the arcs.

All of a sudden we are one win away from another shot at the title , FMD this Club continues to impress ;)

Hello. Bit of a long shot here. My son just got his hand on 2 tickets behind the goals, bay M6. Unfortunately (or maybe not!) they're in your end. Anyone in a similar predicament and want to do like for like swap?

Cheers
Al

Hello. Bit of a long shot here. My son just got his hand on 2 tickets behind the goals, bay M6. Unfortunately (or maybe not!) they're in your end. Anyone in a similar predicament and want to do like for like swap?

Cheers
Al

You probably won’t find anyone here sitting behind Brisbane goals end, but nevertheless good luck!

People saying neale injured.. Official reports or just guesses??

Lachie Neale?

It's been confirmed by Fagan that he's been dealing with a foot injury for a few weeks, and he was in a moonboot yesterday when he returned to Brisbane

There's uncertainty whether he did further damage late in the match on Saturday night as he appeared to roll his ankle with about 2 minutes to go and was grabbing at it in pain

Cheers
Al
Good luck,

If you want, try posting in this thread also as it may get lost in discussion here, but this other thread is more dedicated to ticket discussion

Concerning that we will have played 1 time in 29 days come the prelim, apparently its the longest break between prelims ever (16 Days).

I think we have experience of dealing with this now.

The Geelong teams who struggled with finals in the past were very reliant on a game plan that did not stand up under heat. We are now more the team bringing that defensive heat.

I think a pressure based game is easier to bring off a break.

I think GWS showed how to stop the Lions until midway through the 3rd quarter, so I suspect the Cats will take note of that and probably already knew it anyway. If SDK isn't picked, then I can't see him playing again this year if we make the GF. I don't think TBone should be picked, but we know Scotty has his favs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atkins needs to body L Neale all game. This Lions outfit seems battered and bruised, and with their emotional outpouring on the weekend just past could be a little expended when it comes to Saturday. Equally, this could psychologically spur them on so we cannot take our foot off the pedal at all.

I, and many others, have been dissatisfied with O Henry’s performance across the year — not necessarily in terms of goal kicking but overall effort and demeanour. We need him to really leave nothing left on the field when it comes to pressuring their defenders, and that will give our forward line a big boost. It’s a preliminary final. It’s time to stand up.

I’m confident our backline have their forwards under control, but the ball movement of the Lions midfield and half backers will be the thing we should want to disrupt. Whilst they may have a better on-paper midfield, even 80% of the pressure that we brought against Port can trump any team.

I think GWS showed how to stop the Lions until midway through the 3rd quarter, so I suspect the Cats will take note of that and probably already knew it anyway. If SDK isn't picked, then I can't see him playing again this year if we make the GF. I don't think TBone should be picked, but we know Scotty has his favs.
Who's TBone?

Lachie Neale?

It's been confirmed by Fagan that he's been dealing with a foot injury for a few weeks, and he was in a moonboot yesterday when he returned to Brisbane

There's uncertainty whether he did further damage late in the match on Saturday night as he appeared to roll his ankle with about 2 minutes to go and was grabbing at it in pain
Pagan confirmed Neale was carrying a foot problem. He has been way off his best which is great for us. Key defender Payne was also under a cloud last week and seemed like he wasn't 100% either. I have not seen any updates on him. Payne is really important down back. Jez is a problem for every opposition and Neale played his been game in the Qualifiying Final. Its a real issue for them if Payne is not 100%. I am guessing the Lions will be unchanged from last week.

For us, I recon the Ins are easy with Stewart and SDK coming in. Naming the outs and the Sub is much, much harder after a big win. At this stage I think one of Bews and Mullin go out. I'm keeping Mullin who can provide huge speed and defensive running. Like Neale, his Semi was his best game for the club. The other out is Tuohy. The sub is still a problem. Having dropped Reg, I'd keep Mitch Duncan for his experiance. So choosing a sub is almost too difficult. At this stage I recon Tanner Bruhn (replaced by Stewart) is the other unlucky one. He played a good game in the Semi aswell. But I am going for Mullin's defensive speed and induance in the starting line up. Brisbane isn't that fast so I see this as an advantage.

I disagree with this. I think that without Dangerfield, we have serious issues controlling clearances, especially given our weakness in the ruck.

Dangerfield carried us across the line against both Fremantle and Adelaide in the last 2 months alone. Without him, we don't have enough star power in depth in the middle to win most games against top line opposition.
We need Dangerfield but not the kamikaze lose your feet at every contest Dangerfield. Recently, I think Dangerfield has toned down that stuff and it's much better for the team.

Pagan confirmed Neale was carrying a foot problem. He has been way off his best which is great for us. Key defender Payne was also under a cloud last week and seemed like he wasn't 100% either. I have not seen any updates on him. Payne is really important down back. Jez is a problem for every opposition and Neale played his been game in the Qualifiying Final. Its a real issue for them if Payne is not 100%. I am guessing the Lions will be unchanged from last week.

For us, I recon the Ins are easy with Stewart and SDK coming in. Naming the outs and the Sub is much, much harder after a big win. At this stage I think one of Bews and Mullin go out. I'm keeping Mullin who can provide huge speed and defensive running. Like Neale, his Semi was his best game for the club. The other out is Tuohy. The sub is still a problem. Having dropped Reg, I'd keep Mitch Duncan for his experiance. So choosing a sub is almost too difficult. At this stage I recon Tanner Bruhn (replaced by Stewart) is the other unlucky one. He played a good game in the Semi aswell. But I am going for Mullin's defensive speed and induance in the starting line up. Brisbane isn't that fast so I see this as an advantage.

Dennis?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back