Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m playing scratcher Neale before Hawkins. We need an unpredictable forward line that they all contribute to in equal measure given their differing roles they play . Can’t get Hawkins focused in this one.
Scratcher > Hawkins
And Guthrie has missed too much so the kids for me in there.
Speed & pressure
Pressure to speed

I get where he's coming from tbh.

I thought we could win a premiership this year in the pre-season, but close to my entire premise was based on getting Guthrie back to '22 form, squeezing one last borderline AA year out of Hawkins, and maybe seeing a kid or two make the leap.

To be where we are without anything vaguely resembling that is nothing short of remarkable.

Dempsey, Holmes, Humphries, Bruhn, & Mannagh becoming key players.

Neale, Bowes, Close, & the Henry bros playing their roles, and Stengle, Miers, & Zuthrie in particular making the leap to the competitions upper echelon of players.

We're once again in the final four, but this time, we look like a team on the rise rather than a side teetering on the cliff.

Particularly with some key additions looking like they're on their way in a few weeks.

Things are rarely linear like that in football, and it's not to say I won't be disappointed if we can't go on to win these last two games - I will be - but I'm much more comfortable with where we're placed compared to years gone by.

I mentioned this earlier on.. we just look better with Tuohy in the team
Can quite figure out why
Because he is one of those players where, even if he has lot a fair bit of his edge, does pretty much every major thing in the AFL with some competence.

He can take a mark, is decent by hand and foot, can kick the occasional goal, is decent in defensive roles.

There are one or two posters on this board with a weird dislike of Bruhn.
Good player. Doing decently enough imho.

I get where he's coming from tbh.

I thought we could win a premiership this year in the pre-season, but close to my entire premise was based on getting Guthrie back to '22 form, squeezing one last borderline AA year out of Hawkins, and maybe seeing a kid or two make the leap.

To be where we are without anything vaguely resembling that is nothing short of remarkable.

Dempsey, Holmes, Humphries, Bruhn, & Mannagh becoming key players.

Neale, Bowes, Close, & the Henry bros playing their roles, and Stengle, Miers, & Zuthrie in particular making the leap to the competitions upper echelon of players.

We're once again in the final four, but this time, we look like a team on the rise rather than a side teetering on the cliff.

Particularly with some key additions looking like they're on their way in a few weeks.

Things are rarely linear like that in football, and it's not to say I won't be disappointed if we can't go on to win these last two games - I will be - but I'm much more comfortable with where we're placed compared to years gone by.
Henry Bros probably sing this at training during the finals series, they want the cup so they can be - famous. LOL

Because he is one of those players where, even if he has lot a fair bit of his edge, does pretty much every major thing in the AFL with some competence.

He can take a mark, is decent by hand and foot, can kick the occasional goal, is decent in defensive roles.
Exactly. He’s a 1%’er master. Dots all the “I’s”, crosses all the “T’s” player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an unfair system - a joke really - but continuing to discuss it year-after-year is a pointless exercise unforunately. It just won't happen and it's clear we will continue to have home 'MCG' finals regardless of the opposition.

We can only control what we can control - and that is winning games of footy against any team, at any venue, and at any time.

I've moved on and accepted it, it seems the club has, too. It can become an unwanted distraction.

Lets win two more games at the 'G and bring the flag home. We have done it four times since '07 whilst playing 'home' finals at the 'G. Lets just do it again and shove it up all of 'em!
I agree, we have to move on. If I remember correctly, the discussion really ratcheted up after the 2017 final against Richmond. It was our home final, but two-thirds of the stadium was a Richmond supporter.

I'm happy the club has embraced it and adapted a game plan which works well at the MCG.

Pagan confirmed Neale was carrying a foot problem. He has been way off his best which is great for us. Key defender Payne was also under a cloud last week and seemed like he wasn't 100% either. I have not seen any updates on him. Payne is really important down back. Jez is a problem for every opposition and Neale played his been game in the Qualifiying Final. Its a real issue for them if Payne is not 100%. I am guessing the Lions will be unchanged from last week.

For us, I recon the Ins are easy with Stewart and SDK coming in. Naming the outs and the Sub is much, much harder after a big win. At this stage I think one of Bews and Mullin go out. I'm keeping Mullin who can provide huge speed and defensive running. Like Neale, his Semi was his best game for the club. The other out is Tuohy. The sub is still a problem. Having dropped Reg, I'd keep Mitch Duncan for his experiance. So choosing a sub is almost too difficult. At this stage I recon Tanner Bruhn (replaced by Stewart) is the other unlucky one. He played a good game in the Semi aswell. But I am going for Mullin's defensive speed and induance in the starting line up. Brisbane isn't that fast so I see this as an advantage.
Mullin is not going to get a game at the expense of Bruhn.

Anyone watching the game Sat night would have seen that Payne was cooked. Could hardly move. I think Shannon Neale plays regardless, but his mobility will be a factor against Payne. Maybe Harris Andrews goes to Neale as Brisbane never send him to the best forwards (Cameron).

My suggested changes:

In: Stewart and De Koning. Stewart an obvious and SDK will sneak back in given match ups required for Danaher and Hipwood. I don't think Henry has the height to go with either.

Outs: Bews and ? I think Mullin did enough to keep his spot and he gives Geelong the benefit of sending him to a midfield tag if needed / or a lockdown defensive role. I think he might get first crack at Lachie Neale.

No idea the other unlucky player to miss out. Playing SDK and keeping Stanley potentially makes us top heavy but against Brisbane it probably works. If Geelong genuinely believes they can go with Henry and Blicavs on the two big forwards then I reckon SDK possibly misses.

Yes and I think he brings a bit of mongrel and energy to the group as well.

I know but assumed that was just a follow on from the meat reference. Tommy Hawkins > Tommahawk > Tbone
No, I think MMM called him that back in the year he won the AFLPA toughest player for how he ran into people.

Man! The sheer disrespect the club is receiving from opposing fans is absurd.

Today's generation are so caught up with fantasy points and disposal tallies. Be so nice to win it all again just to shut them up good and proper for the next 6 months.
A lot of people also have the attention span of 6yo with ADHD.

They just watch Brisbane come back from 44 points down to win, obviously they must now be unbeatable.

How truly shit they were for the first 2.5 quarters is outside their attention span, let alone how dominant we were in week 1

When I say club, it is mostly the players and not our coaching staff etc.
A lot of our players are unheralded. To majority of Geelong people they know where they stand and up the upside to their game but it's right across the board.

Man! The sheer disrespect the club is receiving from opposing fans is absurd.

Today's generation are so caught up with fantasy points and disposal tallies. Be so nice to win it all again just to shut them up good and proper for the next 6 months.
*6 weeks

That’s when they’ll start bitching and moaning how we got Smith for a song after winning the 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back