Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

When I say club, it is mostly the players and not our coaching staff etc.
A lot of our players are unheralded. To majority of Geelong people they know where they stand and up the upside to their game but it's right across the board.
I was laughed at on the main board when I suggested Zuthrie was in the frame of AA, first half of season in particular. I’d take him over Zorko every day of the week. Ditto Stengle>Moore. Could go on..

Geelong Track Watch: Cats tackle Sam De Koning puzzle as veterans Tom Hawkins, Cam Guthrie watch on​

Sam De Koning shapes as an intriguing selection dilemma heading into the prelim, while Tom Stewart looks fit for a return, with Gary Rohan sporting a new look. JOSH BARNES has the latest.

Geelong veterans Cam Guthrie and Tom Hawkins appear likely to be left out of selection discussions this week as Tom Stewart showed no signs of illness or hamstring problems at training on Monday.

The Cats worked through some standard drills before media was asked to leave GMHBA Stadium, with Stewart, Hawkins, Guthrie and Sam De Koning all training.

Guthrie began with a warm up away from the main group and a member of the Geelong fitness staff could be heard asking about his running speeds, as the Cats monitor the dual best-and-fairest winner closely.

It appears increasingly unlikely that either Guthrie or Hawkins will be called up to face Brisbane in Saturday’s preliminary final.

Guthrie has played just four games this year, his last coming in round 10, as he battled quad and Achilles injuries.

Champion goalkicker Hawkins fought through a foot problem to return to VFL action last week – alongside Guthrie and De Koning – but may end his career watching on, with Shannon Neale in good form up forward.

The popular Neale bounded out of the change rooms carrying the portable speaker the Cats used for the session.

With Stewart certain to come back in after missing the qualifying final through illness and his hamstring problem, the question of Geelong’s week will revolve around De Koning.

He hasn’t played since round 21 due to a knee injury and since being ruled out, the Cats have successfully retooled the defence by sending veteran Mark Blicavs back there, while Rhys Stanley has held down the ruck.

Geelong could deploy De Koning in either position, with the Lions boasting giant Oscar McInerney in the ruck and tall forwards Joe Daniher, Eric Hipwood and Logan Morris.

I get where he's coming from tbh.

I thought we could win a premiership this year in the pre-season, but close to my entire premise was based on getting Guthrie back to '22 form, squeezing one last borderline AA year out of Hawkins, and maybe seeing a kid or two make the leap.

To be where we are without anything vaguely resembling that is nothing short of remarkable.

Dempsey, Holmes, Humphries, Bruhn, & Mannagh becoming key players.

Neale, Bowes, Close, & the Henry bros playing their roles, and Stengle, Miers, & Zuthrie in particular making the leap to the competitions upper echelon of players.

We're once again in the final four, but this time, we look like a team on the rise rather than a side teetering on the cliff.

Particularly with some key additions looking like they're on their way in a few weeks.

Things are rarely linear like that in football, and it's not to say I won't be disappointed if we can't go on to win these last two games - I will be - but I'm much more comfortable with where we're placed compared to years gone by.
I don't disagree with you at all. I was simply making a lark of the fact that a Geelong supporter was seemingly suggesting they would be 'happy' to see us not win the GF from here. No matter how outrageous our current position, I definitely cannot say that!

This is an amazing opportunity to truly meet the dictionary definition of 'pinching a flag' and I'm not going to be even slightly pleased about the outcome if we don't get it done from here.

Proud? Yes.
Confident about our future? Absolutely.
'Happy' that we let some other relatively ordinary line-up take the ultimate prize home instead of us? No way in the world.

Loved his first 5 minutes. Set the tone.
Took a nice mark then kicked it straight to a Port player. But instead of dropping his head as a lot of young players do, he was involved in the next contest straight after and took another strong mark which have even lead to the stengle goal.
Excellent from Neale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the need to make unnecessary changes to a winning team? Stewart in for the player who replaced him and keep the team balance. So Mullin out.
The concern for Daniher's height is a bit overrated. He took 5 marks, 1 contested and 2 inside 50. Mobility will be more important than excessive height.
McInerney took 4 marks, 2 contested, and was comfortably beaten in hitouts. A rested Stanley will surely be able to keep him from dominating. Neale, who took 9 marks last outing, can also help in the ruck, allowing Stanley to play further back if needed.
I think the bigger issue is how are how they going to stop our forwards!! Our midfield is now being acclaimed as top shelf so we should create plenty of opportunities, as we did against the much touted Port midfield. We should win this, as long as the attitude is right, and no reason to think it won't be.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
One thing we've seen is that winning or losing form one week often means nothing a week later. Horses for courses. 16 days since our winning form.

Utterly ridiculous.
Try and tell a pro athlete to stop training in this situation. They'll all be busting a gut in the hope that the door opens for them ala Holmes '22 PF.

Apparently if we make the GF he might be an option if needed. Hasn’t been ruled out if we make it that far.
According to Kingy and Benny on the latest podcast he's got over 50 staples holding his noggin together. Even if he could get on the field come gameday one sharp knock would see his head come apart like a splatty tomato!

Our bottom six is better, but their top six are better than ours.

More elite players still playing in the prime of their careers, where as one of ours is a 34yo dangerfield. Their midfield is also hands down better and they have no obvious flaws across the field where as we do.

Outside of cameron stewart holmes stengle dangerfield i wouldnt say we have alot of A graders. It evens out very quickly throughout the 22. But in saying that, pur strength lies in our even 22 compared to others which can build incredible synergy when it all “clicks”

Dangerfield cameron and stewart are better than any of their players bar neale. But i agree their next 10 or so are better than ours. But we also have a good bottom 6 compared to them and a much better coach.

What, you don't appreciate hearing Zombie Nation's iconic turn-of-the-century hit Kernkraft 400 after each sausage Jezza snags as much as the rest of us?
I 'member when this and that 'Sandstorm' thing were in clubs everywhere. EDM has never been my thing but I got dragged along.

Pingers made it more fun than it otherwise would have been.

Took a nice mark then kicked it straight to a Port player. But instead of dropping his head as a lot of young players do, he was involved in the next contest straight after and took another strong mark which have even lead to the stengle goal.
Excellent from Neale.
It was a long kick i50. Not even close to his fault it was turned over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back