Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

He absolutely wasn't.

I don't care if it was the Hawks or any other club - this isn't a 'rivalry' thing, it's a 'standards in football' thing. Hinkley got his nose out of joint about a comment made by one player to another (non-Port) player a week earlier, made a peanut of himself, after a game that Hawthorn lost more than Port won, and Port Adelaide got fined $20k in the process. Embarrassing stuff fromt he public face of a footy club.

Anyway, it all but guarantees Ginnivan has a 'plane' celebration ready to go when they play Port next year - which will be hilarious.
Honestly? I enjoyed the theatre of the whole thing from start to finish.

Footy is a combative game. Ginnivan started it - nothing wrong with that - Port had the last laugh, Hinkley rubbed his nose in it a little. All big boys and they can all cop what they dish.

Aussie rules can be far too pearl-clutching at times.

Honestly? I enjoyed the theatre of the whole thing from start to finish.

Footy is a combative game. Ginnivan started it - nothing wrong with that - Port had the last laugh, Hinkley rubbed his nose in it a little. All big boys and they can all cop what they dish.

Aussie rules can be far too pearl-clutching at times.
Yeah, that's fair. The thing I find funny about it is that Ginnivan's intent was to banter with Grundy. That Port got upset about it is mind-bogglingly thin-skinned. That there was a show and dance about Ginnivan's comment by the AFL media was laughable in and of itself.

Hawks will get the last laugh long term because they're closer to a flag than Port are unless some drastic changes happen at the club.

We'll have some spicy games going forward - always a plus. AFL must secretly be rubbing their hands together.

Lions have been playing catchup since the start of the year.

We just need to stay mobile and run them off their feet.

Discipline will also be a key factor. You know a few of their players are going to try everything they can to suck the umpires in (Particularly Cameron & Zorko). Those guys are shrewd at it and as we have seen all year, a crucial free here and there completely shifts momentum for these high powered offenses.

I'm really looking forward to watching Humphries go at it again. With Lohmann, Cameron & Rayner roaming around, this is why speed can be a priceless commodity in AFL.

Discipline will also be a key factor. You know a few of their players are going to try everything they can to suck the umpires in (Particularly Cameron & Zorko). Those guys are shrewd at it and as we have seen all year, a crucial free here and there completely shifts momentum for these high powered offenses.

I'm really looking forward to watching Humphries go at it again. With Lohmann, Cameron & Rayner roaming around, this is why speed can be a priceless commodity in AFL.

Lachlan Neale as well, particularly if he's injured. 90% of his game is sucking umpires into giving him free kicks at times.

Lachlan Neale as well, particularly if he's injured. 90% of his game is sucking umpires into giving him free kicks at times.
Still remeber the absolute meltdown from him when the cats tagged him a while ago

Got reported from memory? Could very well happen again especially if his foot/ankle gets really bad in the game I can see him having another hissy fit

Yeah well seems the narrative was more GWS falling over rather than Brisbane dominating late. Well how about cats v Port ? Was it more cats dominating or Port having a really bad night?
Unlike Port and GWS I’m confident we won’t roll over against Brisbane, who are apparently 18th in the comp for pressure(could be wrong).

They probably have more talent on their list than us, but I think our system is better and we play the G better.

Unlike Port and GWS I’m confident we won’t roll over against Brisbane, who are apparently 18th in the comp for pressure(could be wrong).

They probably have more talent on their list than us, but I think our system is better and we play the G better.
I dont agree that they have more talent than us, we won a flag 2 years ago, just flogged the team that finished second by 84 points and playing in another prelim, our side is chock full of talent, our bottom 6 is much better also.

It took us a half to throw Port off, and their leaders didn't stand up. I'd like to be further ahead of Brisbane this week, their belief and intent to reverse their finals fortunes, shouldn't stop our talent, but could be dangerous.
The port game reminded me of the game we played against WB in Geelong about 6 weeks ago, but in reverse.

We were way closer than we should have been at half time in that game, and it felt inevitable that WB would kick away (which they did).

The game against port felt the same. We were only 20 points up at half time, but it felt like we had already broke them open.

I wouldn’t say it took us a half to throw off port. I would say it was inevitable way before half time that we were winning that game, barring something unforeseen.

Yeah, that's fair. The thing I find funny about it is that Ginnivan's intent was to banter with Grundy. That Port got upset about it is mind-bogglingly thin-skinned. That there was a show and dance about Ginnivan's comment by the AFL media was laughable in and of itself.

Hawks will get the last laugh long term because they're closer to a flag than Port are unless some drastic changes happen at the club.

We'll have some spicy games going forward - always a plus. AFL must secretly be rubbing their hands together.
Port are 2 wins away from a flag, whereas Hawks are at least 26 games away.

The port game reminded me of the game we played against WB in Geelong about 6 weeks ago, but in reverse.

We were way closer than we should have been at half time in that game, and it felt inevitable that WB would kick away (which they did).

The game against port felt the same. We were only 20 points up at half time, but it felt like we had already broke them open.

I wouldn’t say it took us a half to throw off port. I would say it was inevitable way before half time that we were winning that game, barring something unforeseen.
Port took the lead in that second quarter, briefly.

I dont agree that they have more talent than us, we won a flag 2 years ago, just flogged the team that finished second by 84 points and playing in another prelim, our side is chock full of talent, our bottom 6 is much better also.
Player by player, Lions are surely a more talented list.
We drop off badly minus Dangerfield - there is no player out of their structure that renders them very gettable, even Neale.
Danger out of our team-I don’t want to even consider it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talent level may be comparable, that is debatable.

But one thing that is undoubted:

Scott vs Fagan is a huge mismatch in our favour.

I have a quiet chuckle to myself every time they show Fagan cheerleading from the interchange bench during games. Who is actually dealing with in game tactics for Brisbane? Because cheerleader Fagan can’t be doing it effectively from the bench.

I have a quiet chuckle to myself every time they show Fagan cheerleading from the interchange bench during games. Who is actually dealing with in game tactics for Brisbane? Because cheerleader Fagan can’t be doing it effectively from the bench.

Cheerleader Fagan o_O

Player by player, Lions are surely a more talented list.
We drop off badly minus Dangerfield - there is no player out of their structure that renders them very gettable, even Neale.
Danger out of our team-I don’t want to even consider it.

They definitely have more good players near their peak ages. But do they have anyone as good as Dangerfield, Stewart and Cameron?

I don't think anyone on their list has come close to the dominance that those 3 have consistently produced. And if we've got the top 3 it's hard to see how we don't have at least a similar level of talent.

According to him he basically trusts his players to do whatever they want during games… he seems like a good mentor, not game day coach.

They definitely have more good players near their peak ages. But do they have anyone as good as Dangerfield, Stewart and Cameron?

I don't think anyone on their list has come close to the dominance that those 3 have consistently produced. And if we've got the top 3 it's hard to see how we don't have at least a similar level of talent.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. But Neale has won 2 Brownlows, he's no mug.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back