Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd expect Payne onto Big Neale, Lester onto Cameron and Andrews onto O Henry..

Henry could be the most important player for Geelong.. He will have to play a super unselfish game and aim to take Harris out and away from the contest. If not, Harris could dominate us back there..

Henry is very poor one-on-one, gets out-marked a LOT.. Its a problem for us and our forwardline weakness.
Henry is actually very good one on one.

When he is double teamed and the ball in bombed on his head he struggles.

Like every other forward in the history of the game.

I think that Scott showed a much greater disregard for older players who had been developed under the previous coach and from the previous era than he has since shown for players who spent much of their time under him. That is, as Scott demonstrated in his first season, it's quite easy to come into a club and make calls on youth versus aged and experienced for the objective good of the team or with an eye to the future. This didn't just materialise in his selection of players in his first year but also how the club handled the retirements of several of its stars. Despite still capable and champions of the club, we didn't allow older players to continue to breaking point because the objective was to expedite development of a younger brigade.

But the wheel has now turned and Scott is on the other side. He's now the guy who has a deep connection with long-tenured players and also shows a reluctance to push them out for the greater good of the side. The calls he was making in 2011 are not the calls he's making now, because he's now been in this job for 14 years and is rooted in his own ways and proclivities.
Was I dreaming when I saw Hawkins, Guthrie, Parfitt, Rohan running around in the vfl a couple of weeks ago?

100 per cent, Mangy Carl obviously doesn’t watch much Geelong, at least before the Dogs were knocked out.

G'day Cats fans

I was going to post this to the main board but everyone seems obsessed with who has more talent / higher ceilings / whether Fagan is as old is Biden etc haha.

Interesting in any thoughts - i for one totally underestimated Geelong for much of the season. Looking at the stats on your midfield Scott seems to have reinvented the team, and your squad of half forwards seem primed to cause us some trouble.

Watching back the highlights of the 2022 Prelim and casting my mind back to what happened on the night.

It was a BELTING so the lions need things to have changed for us to be any chance

I think some factors that will help us are:

NO HAWKINS - he taught Harris Andrews a lesson AND Harris was tied up with him all night. Neale looks a good young player but he is no peak Hawkins, Payne might get him and free up Andrews to intercept mark?

NEALE gets a team tag to superb affect. Can't get near it. He had 2 awesome finals before the prelim and once he was a non-factor we really struggled. We now have Ashcroft and Dunkley, plus McCluggage seems more of an inside player. So it's not Neale or bust for us.

WE LOOK STUFFED - worth remembering we had come off 2 absolutely red hot finals last time. This time we have had one, but the Carlton final was very low pressure and we clearly took the foot off the gas. So the GWS final could be telling - i saw our KMs were the 7th most ever in a game and we don't usually run as much as other teams! But at least it's not back to back tough finals.

Obviously there are lots of factors that can go either way - no Coleman for us this time. Hippy was in good form last time and is clearly limited atm. No Linc to actually convert a set shot consistently! But i think the above 3 show why we are at least a chance of winning this time - whereas realistically we were no chance last time and got blown off the park.
I've underestimated us all year too and I'm still pretty on the fence. I never saw our result against Port coming but it's given me some confidence.
What Ashcroft did against GWS in the second half worries me and I hope we get the spud version of Daniher. Also just want a competitive effort from Stanley against Big O.

... you have to be kidding me. Even our turnover from the 2022 GF has been rapid. And frankly, I can't think of many he's gotten wrong.

Even now, Hawkins, SDK and Guthrie are going to be left out of the PF side so far as we can guess. Rohan, similarly, would have been left out even if fit. Bews would be outside the squad if Mullin had done sufficiently well to take his chances earlier in the year.

Menegola in 2022 could have easily been included for a younger Parfitt.

Look it is only a discussion point so its irrelevant and who cares

However Geel could have got lucky ( not being nasty or a smart aarse , just stating the facts ) with the Hawkins injury , because i dont think Chris Scott would have dropped him for Neale , where as there could of been 4-5 coaches from yesteryear , who would have basically sacked /finished up Hawkins 10 games into the season . The great Geel full forward Doug Wade , when he went to NM , Barrasi sacked him from their PF team , and when NM advanced to the GF the only reason Wade got his spot back was because another NM player did his ACL in the PF

The great Geel full forward Doug Wade , when he went to NM , Barrasi sacked him from their PF team , and when NM advanced to the GF the only reason Wade got his spot back was because another NM player did his ACL in the PF

Wow I never knew that. Team leading goal kicker that season and coming off a Coleman the year before. Snagged 4 in the granny as well. What was the reason for him not in the grand final side originally?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walking Glancing GIF

Geelong’s rock solid defence

Most fans were in awe at the 138 points that the Cats piled up when beating the Power on their home deck in week one of the finals. That makes sense — goals are exciting, and intercept marks aren't.

But over the closing stretches of the season it was the other end of the ground that powered the Cats towards this vaulted position. Geelong's defence has long been a strength for Chris Scott. But with shifting parts in the forward half of the ground, this strength has become a reliance.

Led by Zach Gutrhrie, Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry and Jake Kolodjashnij, the Cats have effectively shut down their defensive 50. The defence has shifted away from attacking hard from defence — the Cats sit near league average at scoring from intercepts over the past five games.

The Cats sometimes move a spare player back from stoppages after the contest breaks free — often former All-Australian defender Tom Stewart. This creates an extra defensive number to prevent sides from scoring in transition. They also don't overcommit on the counter attack and communicate effectively. They get most of the basics right in defence — key for a side who is primed to succeed in September.

That defensive ability has kept them in games where they don't win territory. If they do manage to win the field position and possession battle it can blow teams out of the water.

1726733894991.png

Wow I never knew that. Team leading goal kicker that season and coming off a Coleman the year before. Snagged 4 in the granny as well. What was the reason for him not in the grand final side originally?

He got dropped for the PF against Rich because his form was not good enough in the lead up at the time in Barassi opinion

Wade did not play in NM winning PF team , Richard Micalcheq( spelling might be wrong ) a good player , but he was the one who got injured , and that is the only reason Wade got back in the GF team

I was skeptical so I took a look at the data

For forwards who have attended at least 10 offensive 1 on 1 marking contests, he is slightly above average (27%). Though most of those are clear KPF or Ruckmen. The line gets blurry as it what is a KPF and what isn't, but what is clear is that he gets in a lot of offensive 1 on 1 marking contests for a guy of his size, only one player smaller than him gets in more. Don't expect much from JC.

player.playerIdplayer.givenNameplayer.surnameteam.nameGamesOffensive 1 on 1WinsWin%
CD_I997230TysonStengleGeelong Cats
24​
33​
12​
36.4​
CD_I261510TomHawkinsGeelong Cats
12​
33​
11​
33.3​
CD_I1012860OliverHenryGeelong Cats
22​