Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

That final against Port, Mullin ( who at times just shows a glint of Wojos athletic ability ) but there was a passage of play in the 1st half , and Thomas the commentator called in brilliantly , he said Mullin showed great athletic ability to get in front of the pack and knock the ball down , however then JHF kicked a freak P Daicos type dribbling boundary line goal

So the ex prem player/commentator gave good credit to Mullin in that passage of play , where as quite a few mug supporters would have said Mullin was badly beaten in that passage of play

Who are the older players he's stuck with too long? Plenty of coaches would be rushing Hawkins and Guthrie back into the side. O'Connor, Bews, Parfitt, Rohan and Stanley are all long-term players under Scott who have been stuck in the VFL for significant parts of this year.
I expect Rohan will be the only one that is given longer than warranted.

That final against Port, Mullin ( who at times just shows a glint of Wojos athletic ability ) but there was a passage of play in the 1st half , and Thomas the commentator called in brilliantly , he said Mullin showed great athletic ability to get in front of the pack and knock the ball down , however then JHF kicked a freak P Daicos type dribbling boundary line goal

So the ex prem player/commentator gave good credit to Mullin in that passage of play , where as quite a few mug supporters would have said Mullin was badly beaten in that passage of play

That goal was 100% on Blitz. Mullin had him beat one on one and blitz just half arsed the ground ball

Could Ted make his finals debut?

View attachment 2115013

Outside the remaining final series the Preliminary picked side gives us much to look forward as far future..... with SDK, Toby Conway, Bailey Smith, COS (Connor O'Sullivan), Cam Guthrie, Jhye Clark and others. And to see Ted Clohesy as 3rd emergency indicates MC have high hopes for him too.

I was skeptical so I took a look at the data

For forwards who have attended at least 10 offensive 1 on 1 marking contests, he is slightly above average (27%). Though most of those are clear KPF or Ruckmen. The line gets blurry as it what is a KPF and what isn't, but what is clear is that he gets in a lot of offensive 1 on 1 marking contests for a guy of his size, only one player smaller than him gets in more. Don't expect much from JC.

player.playerIdplayer.givenNameplayer.surnameteam.nameGamesOffensive 1 on 1WinsWin%
CD_I997230TysonStengleGeelong Cats
24​
33​
12​
36.4​
CD_I261510TomHawkinsGeelong Cats
12​
33​
11​
33.3​
CD_I1012860OliverHenryGeelong Cats
22​
38​
11​
28.9​
CD_I1016433ShannonNealeGeelong Cats
14​
25​
5​
20​
CD_I293845JeremyCameronGeelong Cats
23​
38​
4​
10.5​
This is highly inconvenient for The Ollie Narrative.

Clark will make it eventually but Clohesy is who you’d want in the trenches right now, got a bit of mongrel in him.

I thought Knevitt would have made it to the emergency list after our last VFL final, but his elbow has been heavily strapped in training photos this past week which may have worked against him

I absolutely don't mind Clohesy as an emergency - one tough nut

I just want to be on the record of saying that I like us better with Tuohy in the side..

But MC obviously know best...
Tuohy has been known to pop up and kick much needed goals when we are down so that could bite, tough call but he is a little slow for this game i reckon

The passage on the wing where he kept the ball moving through about four Poort players and out the other end was just as impressive. Kids a beast with jets can’t believe some just don’t see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have badly underestimated Mullin.

It's almost like there's a preconceived notion of what he can bring or more so doesn't bring to the side, rather than watching what he's actually doing out on the field

I will say though, I think there's more melts about the selection on FB than their is around this place

Wow I never knew that. Team leading goal kicker that season and coming off a Coleman the year before. Snagged 4 in the granny as well. What was the reason for him not in the grand final side originally?
1726735641137.png
That's the reason. In an era where full-forwards kicked about 30% of your goals.

Reckon Blicavs stiffed Mullin badly in that play. Mullin stopped thinking Blicavs would kill the ball and Blicavs was a statue for some reason. He will learn from that.

The more I think about it, the more I'm favouring Mullin starting in the 22 and playing a role on Zorko

Mullin went toe to toe with Hill when we played St Kilda and ultimately Hill was subbed out with minimal impact - going with him being asked to play a similar role on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back