Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a bit of a thought about the SDK situation. I actually think the Cats are looking past just the Brisbane game and are planning to face Sydney in the GF. Apart from Amartey, the Sydney forward line is pretty small. And SDK might not be athletic enough to play on Amartey. That coupled with Mullin probably being set up for a tagging role on someone like Papley (or Heeney). We've deliberately gone a bit shorter and more mobile in the backline to keep consistency in preparation for next week.
Of course it all comes undone if Brizzy knock us off tomorrow.
Dangerous thinking.
I honestly think SDK is the ideal and only player we have who could handle Joe Daniher. We still need a good tall on Hipwood, who is more variable than Daniher, but only a few weeks ago had one of "those" games where he marked and goaled at will (Blicavs the matchup) If you all think Henry /Kolo are up to this, fine, I don't see it yet.

Had a bit of a thought about the SDK situation. I actually think the Cats are looking past just the Brisbane game and are planning to face Sydney in the GF. Apart from Amartey, the Sydney forward line is pretty small. And SDK might not be athletic enough to play on Amartey. That coupled with Mullin probably being set up for a tagging role on someone like Papley (or Heeney). We've deliberately gone a bit shorter and more mobile in the backline to keep consistency in preparation for next week.
So your suggesting the Cats are getting ahead of themselves 🚩

The Swans played ok tonight, controlled the game. However, Port Adelaide were terrible. Look at these disposal numbers for Port Adelaide players.
Logan Evans 7
Narkle 7
Byrne-Jones 6
Zerk-Thatcher 3
Ratugolea 3
Hard to believe those numbers.

I've seen Ratugolea play plenty of ordinary games but his effort in the Prelim tonight was as bad as any game he has played. He's lucky he got a contract at PA because he couldn't get another contract playing like this.

One extremely poor taste post has already been deleted, so take this as your one & only warning

With less than 24hrs until the clash, I’d suggest you best run along and back to the board you call home - not sure you want to be on holidays due to trolling on an opposition board

No further contributions required

It’s amazing to think that we’ve basically had 20 years of reasonably consistent preliminary finals.

I’ll never forget the 2004 Prelim. It was the first one I’d seen live and it was electric. A young Ablett, et al. We narrowly lost to Brisbane and their coach Leigh Matthews taunted us post match saying it was as though the young Cats team “entered the haunted house” and couldn’t finish the job. Very disrespectful comments.

Well, those same young Cats went on to win 3 flags and another generation won a 4th. If we win tomorrow we are the cusp of a 5th premiership over those 20 years. Astonishing!

And to think there was a (longish!) period in my life that I genuinely thought I’d never see the Cats win a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know what you're saying.
But yes, you cant plan one week at a time. Even though they Trott out that line.
As Scott said during the week they'd normally give a guy with a hammy 3 weeks. But they gave danger 6 and it actually worried them.

You have to plan for the best scenario. Geelong are playing to win the whole thing.
They aren't just playing to win this week.

Hell, I bet they already have their wacky Wednesday outfits worked out.
Does that concern you?

I know what you're saying.
But yes, you cant plan one week at a time. Even though they Trott out that line.
As Scott said during the week they'd normally give a guy with a hammy 3 weeks. But they gave danger 6 and it actually worried them.

You have to plan for the best scenario. Geelong are playing to win the whole thing.
They aren't just playing to win this week.

Hell, I bet they already have their wacky Wednesday outfits worked out.
Does that concern you?
Be Quiet Season 5 GIF by Friends

Dangerous thinking.
I honestly think SDK is the ideal and only player we have who could handle Joe Daniher. We still need a good tall on Hipwood, who is more variable than Daniher, but only a few weeks ago had one of "those" games where he marked and goaled at will (Blicavs the matchup) If you all think Henry /Kolo are up to this, fine, I don't see it yet.
In all honesty I agree and was shocked about the SDK decision. Made absolutely no sense.
But the only reason I can logically think of is that the MC are planning for the next match after where SDK just wont have a good match up. All or nothing.

Last edited:
How's everyone feeling? Personally, the prospect of getting through two teams that have both lost grand finals in the last two years is pretty nerve wracking.

The Swans played ok tonight, controlled the game. However, Port Adelaide were terrible. Look at these disposal numbers for Port Adelaide players.
Logan Evans 7
Narkle 7
Byrne-Jones 6
Zerk-Thatcher 3
Ratugolea 3
Hard to believe those numbers.

I've seen Ratugolea play plenty of ordinary games but his effort in the Prelim tonight was as bad as any game he has played. He's lucky he got a contract at PA because he couldn't get another contract playing like this.
I never watched the game but Was Zerk on Amartey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's everyone feeling? Personally, the prospect of getting through two teams that have both lost grand finals in the last two years is pretty nerve wracking.
The idea of getting through us, who won their last by 80+ within the last two years, would be more nerve racking

I couldn't be happier with the selections: pick the form line up, not the surname.

Port were a rabble last night and Sydney still couldn't put them away. Then celebrated like they'd won the flag already.

This flag is completely up for grabs.

Can’t agree with your theory. Highly unlikely that the club is that arrogant. It’s one week at a time.

Last edited:
My wild theory is that they chose the team they thought had the very best chance of winning against Brisbane.

There are hard luck stories for players in every premiership season we've had. Let's hope the same will be the case this year.

Better to be in this situation than heading into prelims where obvious difference makers (Chapman, Enright, Duncan, Hawkins; 2013 and 2019) were not available and had a spud in their place.

I hope Chris Fagan's plan is to kick the ball directly to Tom Stewart the whole game. It's worked so well for them in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Sat Sept 21 2024 515pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back