zZ4a49z.png

79628_9f4d1d9bd0ef89c93505089efbe2ec14.JPG

79834_44b231c916a3aebbe7544b2c6e979dd4.png

Better late than never, Stephen cRowe
Who: Port Adelaide Power vs Hawthorn Hawks
When: Saturday September 20th 4.45pm EST/4.15pm CST
Where: Melbourne Cricket Ground
Weather: Mostly sunny. Max 17, 20% chance of precipitation <1mm

Teams: Port are very likely to be unchanged, echoing the successful finals campaign of 2004 when the same 22 played in all 3 finals. Jonas was subbed off early against Fremantle with a corked hip, but is said to be in no doubt. If his hip doesn't settle down, Impey or Young are possible replacements.
Hawthorn may regain Suckling and are poised to gamble on Rioli's dodgy hamstring again. Whoever gets squeezed out will be unlucky, as all players have earnt their position. Duryea and Simpkin appear to be the candidates, or possibly Spangher due to them being a little top-heavy down back. McEvoy may come in for Ceglar, but they would be loathe to make too many changes to a settled lineup.

Form: Port clicked into gear after half time against the Dockers and replicated the fast-flowing style that decimated Richmond the previous week. Our small forwards are in particularly devastating form, and this is an area where we will worry the Hawks.
Hawthorn are refreshed by the week off following their comfortable win against Geelong, and have been consistent throughout the season despite a series of potentially disruptive incidents of injury, suspension and illness to players and coach.

Hawthorn are the one team that I would not back Port to beat in a shootout. Their ball-movement is elite, and although not as frantic as ours, is more precise and structured. They have an accurate and diverse forward line, and have been solid down back. To win this game and progress to the last Saturday in September, Port must ensure that we apply manic and sustained frontal pressure; get in the ball-carrier's face and force them to make hurried decisions. We have to win the contested ball, the tackles and the clearances, and convert our chances. When we have possession, we must learn from the errors of the first half against the Dockers and move the ball quickly, with overlap run and daring,to the forwards.

Our defence stood tall last week, as it has most of the year. It has a major challenge on Saturday against Roughead, Gunston, Breust, Rioli, Hale and Puopolo, any of whom can kick a bag and run amok. Carlile will play on Roughhead, and gives away height and agility. He needs to be aware that Rough kicks a good percentage of his goals from general play, and is a good converter from any mark inside 50. Trengove will mark Hale/ Ceglar,O'Shea to Breust and Hombsch will take Gunston. Puopolo is their defensive forward who will probably be assigned to Pittard, leaving Broadbent or Jonas on Rioli, which makes me nervous. Team defence is the key here, as all of their forwards switch up the ground at times and can get lost in the changeovers. We need to keep pressure on the delivery and be brave enough to help out our fellow defenders. Maintain a good zone and tight discipline and we can keep their score manageable.

I can see our midfield being a winning advantage on Saturday. Hawthorns has quality in Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Hodge and Sewell, along with the outside run of Hill and Smith, but generally they are slower than our mids, who can match them inside and get them on the outside. Boak rarely puts two bad games together: Langford has adapted to their main tagging role so he would go to our captain. Gray, Hartlett, Wines and Ebert have all raised the bar in the finals so far, and our depth seems better to the biased eye. Cornes may take Smith, as he can be so damaging, and White may also be given a defensive task. Polec is the one who may get off the leash here, and he can be devastating when given free rein. Lobbe will again have the challenge of going against a duo, but has handled the job magnificently since the early rounds and is a better ruck than Ceglar and better at ground level than either opponent.

Our small forwards will be Hawthorn's coaching staffs biggest headache. They have been playing an uber-tall defence, with Gibson, Spangher, Stratton and Lake, with Birchall and Duryea providing rebound. Burgoyne has been seconded to the midfield, so our forward line may have too much agility and pace for the bigger guys. Neade has proven elusive and creative, Wingard is back and providing several moments of magic each week, and Monfries is improving by the week. Schulz will probably find it difficult with Lake hanging off him and Gibson jumping over the top, so our crumbers need to swoop on any loose balls and make them count. Stratton has the agility and height to go with Westhoff but may not have the tank, so Westy may come into the game later.

We can win this. If everything goes right, if our midfield can apply above average pressure, if our forwards can be accurate and efficient, if our backs work together and maintain concentration, if we have luck with injuries and umpires, then we can dance on the big stage on the 27th. But that is a lot of ifs, and Hawthorn are an experienced finals team with seasoned players who are nearing the end of their dominant era. Our running game can be devastating, but we must play the game of our collective careers to triumph.
I'd love to pick us, but the rested Hawks scare me, and we will do well to be still in the game in the last half of the last quarter. Hawthorn by 18:(
#graypride
#whitepower
#finewines
#yesweken
#pfportvhawks

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawks biggest challenge. But freo touched em up and we know what confidence we take from Saturdays inspiring win. Must must win midfield. Stick tackles. Our small forwards to kick 10 between them and our back 6 to not let anyone off leash. Selections will depend on rioli playing. Huge risk if hawks play him though

Great write-up, Ant Bear . The only thing I would add is that they have a collossal weight of 'know-how' about how to win games like this. We have really no options. All we can do is run and carry, pressure them like maniacs, play Port Adelaide football and see what happens. I give us about 30% of winning this.

Carn da Pear!

Rioli is the worry. We don't need to think about selection if he doesn't line up.

I think apart from obviously needing to find a way to stop their ball movement the clearances are the key. If we can match their big bodies in the clearances and get some smooth ball out of there we will be in the game up to our ears.

So excited. I was happy with 1 finals win, but 2 is brilliant and better than a pass mark. Now we basically have a totally free crack at the champs so let's give it our all and see what happens. It'll take 4 quarters of our absolute best to win, so it's gonna be tough but it's not impossible.

I want Sydney, I want to play them, I want to beat them and I want Trengove to rub the premiership cup in buddy's face....... but I suppose if we can't do it then I'd settle for Hodge doing the same thing lol.

Oh I'm praying they bring in Rioli, we are going to make them run and run, if they bring in a player whose been having hamstring issues all year to that sort of scenario it will spell disaster for them. I have zero doubt their coaching staff would've hoped to face Freo so that they would've had a better game to bring Rioli into the team. He may play as sub but if they lose someone early his hammy's are gonna get one hell of a test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their seniors players still drive them I'd be lacking Mitchell with Kane and Hodge. Cut out their influence and that will go far.

Hawthorn are structurally amazing they hit their zones in a few seconds we need to move the ball fast.

Looks like there may be some rain. Doesn't look like there be any during the game though.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-15/get-set-for-wet

This is Melbourne. The "Experts" have enough trouble picking the weather for this afternoon, let alone 6 days from now.

As for the game itself, it's going to be a cracker. All about team defence for Port this week. If we defend hard, we will win.

Main thing vs Hawthorn is intensity. If we bring our best defence in terms of tackling and quickly pressuring/shutting down the ball carrier, we'll win.

Also agree Kornes should tag Mitchell. Easily their most important player.

More confident this week vs Hawks than last week vs Freo. We match up with them pretty well.

Main thing vs Hawthorn is intensity. If we bring our best defence in terms of tackling and quickly pressuring/shutting down the ball carrier, we'll win.

Also agree Kornes should tag Mitchell. Easily their most important player.

More confident this week vs Hawks than last week vs Freo. We match up with them pretty well.

Every time I see 'Mitchell' I freak out

Burgoyne worries me he has been a big time player for them
It'd be nice if he puts in a similar effort to the other ex Port players we've played against in finals. Pearce & Chappy had shockers against us it'd be good to make it 3 from 3, no doubt Jr is a much better player than both of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2nd Preliminary Final Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn - Destiny Beckons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back