AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Back in the side - 25/7

Remove this Banner Ad

I do wonder if they would request some time off.

If you look at Cripps he talked about the struggle with a new baby.

I often wonder about the impact on their performance.

Elite sport is a 24/7 job, in terms of preparation etc and parenting is or should be, too.

They're either doing an amazing job to train, play, recover at the same level even with the sleep deprivation, mental fatigue, creaky joints from laying and squatting in awkward positions, and general time devoted to raising a child.

Or they're half arsing the parenting. Hopefully it's the former.

Often their partners pick up even more of the slack.
I wouldn't say that is half assing parenting.

Elite sport is a 24/7 job, in terms of preparation etc and parenting is or should be, too.

They're either doing an amazing job to train, play, recover at the same level even with the sleep deprivation, mental fatigue, creaky joints from laying and squatting in awkward positions, and general time devoted to raising a child.

Do you even have kids? lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way he returns through the VFL. Even at 75% he's still better than some of the plonkers we're giving games to.
He's been dogshit the first 1-2 weeks every time he's come back from an injury the last few years, maybe put some faith in our #5 pick who's getting 30+ possies and 10+clearances in the vfl at will... and actually play him in the middle for a game instead of on the wing or being made a sub.

I've often wondered about this, too. The cynic in me says they half-arse the parenting for at least 6 months of the year. But they look like fantastic parents immediately after the game when they go over to collect junior, who's wearing the jumper with 'Daddy' on the back, of course, and immerse the kid in the culture. It's as though putting the kid in the jumper is a way of reclaiming Dad's attention and affections, like, our child is on your team, you know, so come back now. The kid grows up playing the game and forever trying to show Dad that they're just as worthy of attention as da boyz, and the cycle goes on.

But yeah, that's me being cynical. Love is love.

When we lost Caldwell last week we were a mid short in the rotation and had to see way too much of Perkins, Martin and Gresham at centre bounce and it cost us. But I just don't see how you can pick Darcy after such a long lay-off with Hobbs and Tsatas (and even Setterfield) in good form at VFL level. Surely they have earned it.

I get the positional need which has necessitated bringing Parish in, I just don't agree with the personnel choice.

It just screams to me Scott is desperate to win this game and has gone with the 'lowest risk' 22 he could, but has effectively lost the forest through the trees.
Meaning that for the benfit of the long term plan they keep banging on about, surely rewarding Hobbs and Tsatas with game time is more important than Shiel (who is likely out the door) and a half baked Parish (who could do with a VFL runabout first) getting us closer to maybe scraping into a first round finals loss.

Is a pretty good forward so hopefully helps in that HHF role when he rotates through
When we lost Caldwell last week we were a mid short in the rotation and had to see way too much of Perkins, Martin and Gresham at centre bounce and it cost us. But I just don't see how you can pick Darcy after such a long lay-off with Hobbs and Tsatas (and even Setterfield) in good form at VFL level. Surely they have earned it.

I get the positional need which has necessitated bringing Parish in, I just don't agree with the personnel choice.

It just screams to me Scott is desperate to win this game and has gone with the 'lowest risk' 22 he could, but has effectively lost the forest through the trees.
Meaning that for the benfit of the long term plan they keep banging on about, surely rewarding Hobbs and Tsatas with game time is more important than Shiel (who is likely out the door) and a half baked Parish (who could do with a VFL runabout first) getting us closer to maybe scraping into a first round finals loss.

Liked because I think “low risk” is the best way to describe Brad Scott’s coaching and selection philosophy.

It raised my eyebrows as well but it could be he has just as much time playing forward . Still think he should be playing VFL. They will not reward Tsatas with any game time. Word is it is not only the kicking issues but they have been putting a lot of time into defensive transition.
Hobbs is interesting now. He dropped a fair bit of fitness while the rehabbed his calf and from all reports needed the games in the VFL to get the fitness levels back up.

It raised my eyebrows as well but it could be he has just as much time playing forward . Still think he should be playing VFL. They will not reward Tsatas with any game time. Word is it is not only the kicking issues but they have been putting a lot of time into defensive transition.
Hobbs is interesting now. He dropped a fair bit of fitness while the rehabbed his calf and from all reports needed the games in the VFL to get the fitness levels back up.
I've defended Parish alot over the years, but I can't get behind the idea they have brought him in to play forward for any significant period of time. Not saying it's incorrect, just that I don't agree with it.

I still would have preferred Hobbs (who at least is rounding into fitness) or Setterfield (who is better than both defensively and brings a little variation to our mix) over Darcy, but we will see. I still see Parish as part of our top midfield going forward, just not this week.

I still see Parish as part of our top midfield going forward, just not this week.
100% agreed, like I said earlier he's taken 2-3 games to get back into the mix every time he's been out the last couple of years.... watch him have a mid game and get 15-19 touches and Kane Cornes will lay into him even though he's been out for 10+ weeks.... but 3 weeks later when he has 30+ he won't say shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Back in the side - 25/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back