3 games clear of 5th placed side after 7

Remove this Banner Ad

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
If the doggies get over the swans today we will be 12 points clear of the saints in fifth place on the ladder (if I've done my arithmetic correctly).
After 7 games!!!!

Let the winter of much content roll on.

Anyone else have a cup that is half full?

INcreasingly so, actually, despite the doomsdayers that are around at the moment.

Yes, the Hawks are flying, and no, we're not belting teams like last year... but at this time last year we were only just starting to play some ok footy. Then got on a roll.

We'll have a rest this week, then come out with all guns blazing at the MCG against Richmond. They were our kickstart team last year... they will be again.
That will bring back the confidence, the momentum... and other teams will then start being completely intimidated once again.

The Hawks will fade. Remember the Saints in 04? 10-0 to start the season. Everyone was on their bandwagon for the flag. But just because you start the season flying, doesn't mean you end it flying.

I actually think we're in better shape than what I was expecting/fearing we may have been after '07.

Wow...

- 7 and 0 and we have played about 12 out of 28 quarters of footy to our ability.

- Taylor... what can i say, we have a 10 year + player on our hands that already looks as confident as Egan.

- Mackie's engine has increased, with more game time and confidence should develop into the leagues best quarterback/link-man.

- Rooke almost back to his best - very aggressive and angry

- Gamble marks like a tall forward and his speed off the mark is very impressive. Very hard match up.

- Ottens, Blake, Mumford and West. When was the last time we had an AA ruckman and three up and comers to choose from? Not to mention another project in Dawson.

- Stokes, pick 60 odd is playing like a utility. Midfield/forward/back he always seems to be in the right spot to get us out of the sh!t.

- Midfield depth superior to any other team... Ablett, Bartel Corey, Selwood, Ling, Stokes and Kelly... all capable of being BOG in any given game.

- Not reliant on key forwards like certain other teams (one injury away from disaster)... even spread.

- Ottens to come back means another 5 clearances a quarter (directly or indirectly)... means another couple of goals a quarter.

- AA CHB to come in before finals

- I repeat; 7 and 0 and we have played about 12 out of 28 quarters of footy to our ability.

Wow...

INcreasingly so, actually, despite the doomsdayers that are around at the moment.

Yes, the Hawks are flying, and no, we're not belting teams like last year... but at this time last year we were only just starting to play some ok footy. Then got on a roll.

We'll have a rest this week, then come out with all guns blazing at the MCG against Richmond. They were our kickstart team last year... they will be again.
That will bring back the confidence, the momentum... and other teams will then start being completely intimidated once again.

The Hawks will fade. Remember the Saints in 04? 10-0 to start the season. Everyone was on their bandwagon for the flag. But just because you start the season flying, doesn't mean you end it flying.

I actually think we're in better shape than what I was expecting/fearing we may have been after '07.

Spot on cat in sydney. I think Hawthorn are peaking too early. After all, the season is a marathon, not a sprint. While not overly happy with our four quarter performances this season, Essendon game excluded, you can't argue with the results. We're 3 games better off than we were this time last season, with our number one ruckman and the AA CHB still to come back. However, with the form of Taylor, Scarlett, Harley and co, it will be hard for Egan to crack it for a spot in our backline at the moment! How's that for depth?

I guess in some respects we were spoilt last year with the way the team played, but I guess we have that to look forward to later in the season. Certainly is an exciting time to be a Geelong supporter. :thumbsu:

I too am enjoying the break that Hawks and Cats have from 5th place... though i dont think we can be compared with Saints... as i recall, they were hit with mass injuries!! Cats and Hawks and Dogs all look very strong, and it is a long season, so you can never tell... but itll come down to how player management goes from each team, and which players you can keep on the park.

Every team has come out & played thier absolute best against us so far this season, & it's obviously because we are the benchmark.
This can only be a massive positive for the club in the near future. :thumbsu:

Yeah, Cats are in pole position without playing at full potential

Hawkies are looking more devastating at the moment. It will be interesting to see if other clubs can crack their zone before we play them

Dogs are looking really good but as Eade says not elite yet

I don't rate Port as a real threat yet

i'm not to worried about ladder positions at this stage and how many games clear we are of certain teams as i am sure the club wont be.

so long as we continue to win things will work out as they should. i do agree that the hawks may be peaking too early though.
how good is to get away with a 7-0 start before the break this week. We arent playing near our best but still have a better percentage than the high flying hawks. Love that!!!!
Be very interesting at the MCG to see how they come back after the break. time to take it up a notch i reckon

BEST POST I'VE READ IN A LONG FU**EN TIME!!!

no cats fans arguing with each other; no armchair geniuses trying to second guess the coaches; noone whinging about this player or that player or sharing the largesse of their superior footballing brains...

...just a bunch of cat fans realising how good we've got it - even playing in 3rd gear we're sitting above the raging form team of the comp; we've got key position superstars about to come back and our best footy is still to come. in short,

GO YOU CATS, C'MARN YOU CATS, GO YOU F'EN GEEELOONG!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah, did i forget to mention we're the reigning premiers?!:D

In all honesty I think hawks will fade similar to the Saints.

Tuck, Rioli, Ellis, C.Stokes & Young just don't have the bodies to last an entire season. Once these guys drop off (similar to Varcoe last year) they will not be nearly as potent. Box Hill are deplorable which doesn't bode well for their depth although they have Clarke and McGlynn who are alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

3 games clear of 5th placed side after 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back