Preview Rnd 12 Geelong V Richmond, Sat 1st June 2024, 7:30pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for posters who have watched Lawson in action this season. What would be the one or two things he'd need to improve on to be elevated with certainty?
Be a regular in the Gym for the next 12 months. But that has already started i am hearing.
Do plenty of those 10 x 400m shuttles to get that tank up to AFL standard.
FWIW He has beautiful skills via foot(L&R) that leaves others for dead TBH.

In Rohan and O'Connor? We have no depth, the Tigers will have a field day at 'Hoodoo" park.
Sorry Buddy. I think this is in the wrong thread.
It should be in "The rolling outrageous claims thread..." LOL
Have a little faith brother. Just a little.

I think this has been a common theme with Hardie this year? He's often been pushed up into a forward role at points throughout the VFL season (definitely spent some time in F50 in the Lions game). So yeah, it's weird that Mannagh hasn't had as much of a chance in reverse.

I think it then raises a couple of questions about Hardie, if they've been playing him forward for periods of time throughout games:

- is it to run other combinations through the guts (excluding Mannagh)? We do seem to have a number of midfield options available to us in the VFL & we'd want to find ways to share their time playing those roles

- is it to try and add something else to Hardie's game and give him some versatility to push for senior selection? If he's selected to play senior football and already in the team is a combination of Atkins, Blicavs, Bruhn, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Holmes etc, he may not always have an open spot in the guts, and we may want the ability to see him in more than just guts or bench

- or, does he not have the endurance to run out 4 quarters as a midfielder, and by playing forward, especially deep forward, it's helping to compensate for that?

It'd be great to be a fly on the wall in regards to why we make some of the decisions we do

Last edited:

Speaking of the rules of the game - there’s nothing in them regarding the naming of the sub & that said sub must come from those named on the bench:

12.5 Substitute Player
(a) The Substitute Player
(i) Each Club must name a Substitute Player in their Official Team Sheet
from Players included in the Team list submitted in accordance with
Regulation 11.

11.2 Home and Away and Finals Series Matches

(a) Friday and Saturday Matches
A Club participating in a Home and Away or Finals Series Match on a Friday or
Saturday must lodge its Team list with the AFL by 5.45pm AEDT (or AEST
where Matches are being played outside of daylight savings for Victoria) on the
preceding Thursday. The Team list must contain the name and guernsey
number of 18 Players in playing position, five (5) Players on an extended
Interchange Bench and three (3) Emergency Players.

(b) Sunday Matches
(i) A Club participating in a Home and Away or Finals Series Match on a
Sunday must lodge its Team list with the AFL by 5.45pm AEDT (or AEST
where matches are being played outside of daylight savings for Victoria)
on the preceding Thursday. The Team list lodged at this time must
contain the name and guernsey number of 18 Players in playing position
and eight (8) Players on an extended Interchange Bench. A Club is not
obliged at this time to identify which of the eight (8) Players will be
Interchange Players and Emergency Players.

(ii) A Club must then again lodge with the AFL its Team list, in which it sets
out the name and guernsey number of 18 Players in position, (5) Players
on an extended Interchange Bench and three (3) Emergency Players, by
4.30pm AEDT (or AEST where matches are being played outside of
daylight savings for Victoria) on the preceding Friday.

My reading of that is that anyone named on the team sheet, regardless of position can be named the sub

I was surprised by that too. But it does say 5 players on an 'extended interchange' which perhaps infers it's from this extended group that the sub is selected? The same as the extended bench for Sunday games where teams name 8 on the bench on Thursday, then this 8 gets reduced to the 5 that are then selected?

I just find it strange because if it weren't mandated that the sub had to be from the bench, there would surely be examples of it actually happening. But I can't recall a single example of this happening this year, with any team. As someone who plays supercoach you keep an eye on these things because you don't want your player to be the sub, and I can't recall it happening once.

It's baffling. It's like every week we're losing more mids, and not bringing in players to replace them. It's like our mission is to have a team of defenders and forwards only. The club evidently has zero confidence any of the mids in the VFL can do anything, because why would you willingly be fielding such a weak midfield that has already been exposed again and again if you had even the suggestion that someone could help strengthen it?
Yes, we had 2 mids out and none replacing them. But Bowes was sub, so he plays a full game as a mid; I suspect Holmes plays mid fulltime this week also. So in a sense we are replacing them. And TBH I'd back Holmes and Bowes to outperform Clark and Blicavs currently, so we'll probably get a net increase from our mids anyway.

But the broader point about our mids being weak and underperforming is true. But I think we are just weak in that area, so it doesn't matter what we do at the moment. When Danger and Guthrie get back things will change somewhat, but we probably have to make do until the end of the year when we go after someone via trade or FA (BSmith?)

I know Hardie was discussed a lot, and without having seen him play I think he's a little stiff this week given he's clearly our best performing VFL mid and you could argue it's at least worth a shot. But he's not the A grader that we are lacking.

I was surprised by that too. But it does say 5 players on an 'extended interchange' which perhaps infers it's from this extended group that the sub is selected? The same as the extended bench for Sunday games where teams name 8 on the bench on Thursday, then this 8 gets reduced to the 5 that are then selected?

I just find it strange because if it weren't mandated that the sub had to be from the bench, there would surely be examples of it actually happening. But I can't recall a single example of this happening this year, with any team. As someone who plays supercoach you keep an eye on these things because you don't want your player to be the sub, and I can't recall it happening once.

I don't want to tag the wrong poster, but I'm pretty sure either Mr Meow or Chawkts have mentioned examples from earlier in the season where the sub came from a player named on the bench

But that was with teams other then Geelong

Good to see Toby Conway ahead of Rhys Stanley (for this week at least), with Stanley named in the vfl. I can’t imagine he’s played too many games there since coming over from st kilda.

In Rohan and O'Connor? We have no depth, the Tigers will have a field day at 'Hoodoo" park.
please explain that Tigers depth in comparison you troll

Good to see Toby Conway ahead of Rhys Stanley (for this week at least), with Stanley named in the vfl. I can’t imagine he’s played too many games there since coming over from st kilda.

He would have a bit during the years with Zac Smith on the list and the times we weren't playing both in the seniors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is George Stevens looking? Is he likely to get a debut this year?
I will say he has absolutely changed body shape since he was drafted... he looked super fit and strong weekend just gone from the highlights... and found plenty of ball. I can't add anything of value to how he has been playing as I think he has battled a bit initially, but I am looking forward to seeing how he goes the remainder of the year as he is building into it

I will say he has absolutely changed body shape since he was drafted... he looked super fit and strong weekend just gone from the highlights... and found plenty of ball. I can't add anything of value to how he has been playing as I think he has battled a bit initially, but I am looking forward to seeing how he goes the remainder of the year as he is building into it
Stevens was in the votes last week. 26 disposals, 8 clearances.

VFL Round 9
Geelong Cats 16.14 (110) def GWS Giants 7.7 (49)

10 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
7 Wade Derksen (GWS)
6 George Stevens (GEE)
3 Daniel Capiron (GEE)
3 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
1 James Willis (GEE)

How is George Stevens looking? Is he likely to get a debut this year?

Looked a long way off it early in the year but his last couple of weeks have been much improved. I'd say he'd be behind lots of others in the queue for a spot. At the very least I'd say Knevitt, Hardie, Mannagh, Clohesy, Humphries, O'Sullivan and Willis look more ready to step up.

Thanks for that. Hopefully he can continue to build and get a crack this year or next. With Danger going soon, I'm hoping he will one day turn into a big bodied clearance/inside beast that I think we'll need soon.

I think from memory someone here (maybe Mr Meow) found a game earlier in the year where Tsatas (Dons) was named on the wing in R1 v the hawks and then started as sub... there were also no late changes in this game.

So it has happened this year.

I wasn't confident either way about a sub coming from the bench or anywhere on the ground until I confirmed what I said above.

I think I probably was asking the most just to get clarification and some people were staunch on it coming from the bench, others saying it could come from anywhere and others saying if a late change occurred it could change from bench to anyone... So the Dons/Hawks games shows it can be anyone on the ground regardless of late changes... unless I'm missing something there.

Anyway, I stopped trying to predict the sub after learning that... even though we do seem to pick ours from the bench every week.

The thing that I'm most confused about is why a team like us that's is known for doing all sorts of random late changes and "tricky" selections wouldn't be doing the same with the sub and pick it randomly, instead of from the same position every week.

The thing that I'm most confused about is why a team like us that's is known for doing all sorts of random late changes and "tricky" selections wouldn't be doing the same with the sub and pick it randomly, instead of from the same position every week.

Could be a respect thing. Would be a bit harsh to name a kid on the field then he’s gotta tell his friends and family that it’s actually a grand master plan by the coaches to trick everyone and he’s actually the sub

Lol. Rohan and O'Connor are better than 7-8 players the Tigers have named.

Unless we get monstered in midfield we win this easily and with no Bolton and Prestia that's much less of a risk.
I agree. And the reality is that even if we get monstered in midfield (I'm certainly not ruling it out), we are still likely to get over the line.

Their team (starting from a lowish base in 2024) is now further weakened by key absentees down back, in the middle, and up front. Whereas our gigantic issues in midfield without Danger and a fit Guthrie are basically the extent of our problems in terms of availability.

So if we can't beat this mob at home with 15 premiership players in our team, we seriously should start preseason training when the boys head in on Monday.

I think from memory someone here (maybe Mr Meow) found a game earlier in the year where Tsatas (Dons) was named on the wing in R1 v the hawks and then started as sub... there were also no late changes in this game.

So it has happened this year.

I wasn't confident either way about a sub coming from the bench or anywhere on the ground until I confirmed what I said above.

I think I probably was asking the most just to get clarification and some people were staunch on it coming from the bench, others saying it could come from anywhere and others saying if a late change occurred it could change from bench to anyone... So the Dons/Hawks games shows it can be anyone on the ground regardless of late changes... unless I'm missing something there.

Anyway, I stopped trying to predict the sub after learning that... even though we do seem to pick ours from the bench every week.

I did find that other teams have done it, but not Geelong as of now.

P.S you didn't follow up your intriguing premise for the two topics I give my heart, soul, rage and despair towards at obsessive levels. If you are offering entertainment, please remember to deliver. ;)

My guesses by the way would be defending the form lines of kid Bruhn and vet Duncan from a few who lay the boot in just a little too much. But I didn't think I was at Bomber level (regarding Ottens) of "For some reason you people want to assassinate him and it's just rubbish. Leave him alone! All of you!".

Last edited:
I did find that other teams have done it, but not Geelong as of now.

P.S you didn't follow up your intriguing premise for the two topics I give my heart, soul, rage and despair towards at obsessive levels. If you are offering entertainment, please remember to deliver. ;)
I was disappointed you didn't have a crack at guessing the two subjects I was alluding to.

I was disappointed you didn't have a crack at guessing the two subjects I was alluding to.
I have added them now.

Initially it stumped me as I thought you wanted comparative examples where I was obsessively nit picking at decisions and agendas of the Geelong Football Club. But it's true that non-apathy could apply to other situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back