Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't play next week.

Absolutely disgraceful soft effort in 4th quarter. He is usually scared and soft, but this was even worse.

Back to VFL and start again.

I don't care what he offered when he came on getting cheap touches.

There is no place in a NMFC team for players like Bastinac if they are too scared to contest the footy.

It was pathetic, and must go back to VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should have played from the start. Another shocking decision to make him sub.
Geelongs spread and front running from the start was immense. We needed Bastis run and instead we had Wright and co minding grass.
Can I ask you all a question.
Bastinac will play game 100 this year.
Luke McDonald just played his 9th.
In remarkably the same spot of the ground, one went up for a contest, eyes for the footy not giving a **** who was coming and BLED for the jumper in the process saving the side a goal and clearing the area. The player he beat was BOG tonight and a brownlow medalist.
The other had the chance to put his body on the line, take the contact, make an impact for the team and sacrifice being cleaned up just to prove he wanted to win the footy and he bitched out.
I like Ryan as a footballer and he is a great bloke but how dare he look or acknowledge Luke McDonald tonight after putting in an effort like that.
I keep hearing that we only lost to Geelong by 3 goals and it wasnt such a bad effort?
When the **** did we accept losing at North Melbourne? We go into every game to WIN. You dont want to put in the hard yards then **** off.
We will forever be a mediocre side if we dont push that extra yard. Tonight we again faltered.
Im not one to make a mockery of one of our own and neither should I. Were a family at North. We dont do that. But if you arent willing to put everything on the line for this club then you are not worthy of putting on the jumper.
Luke McDonald shaped up to Tom Hawkins and took the fall knowing he stood no chance. NOT ONE ****ING PLAYER CAME IN TO HELP HIM OUT.
Tonight out of all nights I truly believe we are soft. Not physically as in we cant produce tough footy. But mentally in our approach and desire to win the contest. I mean we had 3 tackles in that 3rd quarter?? 3?? Comeon Bigfooty. You cant tell me thats acceptable for an AFL side. WTF is going on down there? Seriously. These inconsistencies and all they keep coming up. They dont go away. I truly dont believe we are anywhere near the makings of a premiership team. Not with efforts like that. We dont have enough matchwinners on our list who can turn a game when its not going our way. And itll hurt us in the long run. Time will tell but the footballing development of our players has been real good. Its the mental resolve that I worry about. Not enough willing to do the hard yards when it counts. This will be our undoing. I guarantee it.

He should have played from the start. Another shocking decision to make him sub.
Geelongs spread and front running from the start was immense. We needed Bastis run and instead we had Wright and co minding grass.
In remarkably the same spot of the ground, one went up for a contest, eyes for the footy not giving a **** who was coming and BLED for the jumper in the process saving the side a goal and clearing the area. The player he beat was BOG tonight and a brownlow medalist.
The other had the chance to put his body on the line, take the contact, make an impact for the team and sacrifice being cleaned up just to prove he wanted to win the footy and he bitched out.
I like Ryan as a footballer and he is a great bloke but how dare he look or acknowledge Luke McDonald tonight after putting in an effort like that.
I keep hearing that we only lost to Geelong by 3 goals and it wasnt such a bad effort?
When the **** did we accept losing at North Melbourne? We go into every game to WIN. You dont want to put in the hard yards then **** off.
We will forever be a mediocre side if we dont push that extra yard. Tonight we again faltered.
Im not one to make a mockery of one of our own and neither should I. Were a family at North. We dont do that. But if you arent willing to put everything on the line for this club then you are not worthy of putting on the jumper.
Luke McDonald shaped up to Tom Hawkins and took the fall knowing he stood no chance. NOT ONE ******* PLAYER CAME IN TO HELP HIM OUT.
Tonight out of all nights I truly believe we are soft. Not physically as in we cant produce tough footy. But mentally in our approach and desire to win the contest. I mean we had 3 tackles in that 3rd quarter?? 3?? Comeon Bigfooty. You cant tell me thats acceptable for an AFL side. WTF is going on down there? Seriously. These inconsistencies and all they keep coming up. They dont go away. I truly dont believe we are anywhere near the makings of a premiership team. Not with efforts like that. We dont have enough matchwinners on our list who can turn a game when its not going our way. And itll hurt us in the long run. Time will tell but the footballing development of our players has been real good. Its the mental resolve that I worry about. Not enough willing to do the hard yards when it counts. This will be our undoing. I guarantee it.

I agree with what you say, but how do you expect players to do the hard yards when they are constantly gifted games?

Bastinac shouldnt of played sub tonight, he should of been dropped 2 weeks ago. He offers nothing defensively and feigns contact.

If the coach wont get tough, neither will the players...

I agree with what you say, but how do you expect players to do the hard yards when they are constantly gifted games?

Bastinac shouldnt of played sub tonight, he should of been dropped 2 weeks ago. He offers nothing defensively and feigns contact.

If the coach wont get tough, neither will the players...
Some say to back the setup we have in. Some say the penny will drop. Some say eventually experience and practice will pay itself off.
My view is this. The players on our list and those we draft each year add up to 44 at present.
22 of them will one day win us our 5th flag. Its like picking 22 Dart players to win you a comp against another 22. The bloke doing the picking is the coach. Until you can get 22 blokes with the ability to hit the bullseye then you will never be successful. Thats Brad Scotts job at the moment. He needs to find that mix and balance and eventually he will. Hell get his 22 bullseyes. Wells, Harper, Garner, Wood, Mullet, Turner. Those are 6 or so quality players who can hit the target for us. We will go back to the drawing board and again try to find that balance. The balance itself though causes its own headache because what you cant coach is how to deal with pressure and expectation. The final hurdle. Who can stand up. Basti and a few of his teammates are not at that hurdle and I can guarantee you repeated failures will be the end of any AFL footballer.

Some say to back the setup we have in. Some say the penny will drop. Some say eventually experience and practice will pay itself off.
My view is this. The players on our list and those we draft each year add up to 44 at present.
22 of them will one day win us our 5th flag. Its like picking 22 Dart players to win you a comp against another 22. The bloke doing the picking is the coach. Until you can get 22 blokes with the ability to hit the bullseye then you will never be successful. Thats Brad Scotts job at the moment. He needs to find that mix and balance and eventually he will. Hell get his 22 bullseyes. Wells, Harper, Garner, Wood, Mullet, Turner. Those are 6 or so quality players who can hit the target for us. We will go back to the drawing board and again try to find that balance. The balance itself though causes its own headache because what you cant coach is how to deal with pressure and expectation. The final hurdle. Who can stand up. Basti and a few of his teammates are not at that hurdle and I can guarantee you repeated failures will be the end of any AFL footballer.

If you reward players for shit, then shit is all you will ever get. We arnt getting anywhere near 22 bullseyes atm, its more like 7 bulls, 5 misses and 10 missing the board all together. The trouble is there is not a single consequence for the 10 that miss the board...

If you reward players for shit, then shit is all you will ever get. We arnt getting anywhere near 22 bullseyes atm, its more like 7 bulls, 5 misses and 10 missing the board all together. The trouble is there is not a single consequence for the 10 that miss the board...
Agree. No ownership on performance. That is on the coach. Whether we will ever have the leaders to not accept mediocrity is also another thing. I cant not agree with you there. All I know is we are so far off it that I dont know if we are going round in circles or standing still.

Agree. No ownership on performance. That is on the coach. Whether we will ever have the leaders to not accept mediocrity is also another thing. I cant not agree with you there. All I know is we are so far off it that I dont know if we are going round in circles or standing still.

The leadership is horrible and that starts from the top. No one takes ownership anywhere on the ground. Where is Hunter barking orders in the backline making sure the positioning and personnel is spot on? Drew marks it on the 50 and goes for a ****ing pass instead of kicking the goal. Who is busting their gut in the midfield defensively and showing the others the required work rate. The list goes on and on.

The intensity this team shows in losses is abysmal. When they win, its like they are lying to us. They hunt in packs, stick tackles, impose themselves on and off the ball and do all the 1% necessary, only to do none of them the week after... The ball lies firmly in Brads half of the court with this. If you cant set a floor of effort then you need to barter one by dropping players who dont produce their best effort.

Scott has over reacted defensively to a massive degree and he certainly has me wondering where we're at. Especially after thinking we werent far away from something that could of been great last season...

Bastinac always has a field day against Geelong, but in saying that, Basti hadn't done anything really of late to suggest he was going to extract the digit.

Luke McDonald shaped up to Tom Hawkins and took the fall knowing he stood no chance. NOT ONE ******* PLAYER CAME IN TO HELP HIM OUT.
Really well said. We are mentally soft. We can match it with most teams but so not have the desire

Probably worth mentioning Bastinac's TOG was 48%. He was subbed on at half-time which means he was out there for 96% of the time he was a live player.

He picked up 3 tackles to go with 15 disposals and two goals. Now, I know this doesn't suit the agenda of all the haters but only Greenwood (8), Swallow (7) and Ziebell (5) had more and they all played a full game. Cunnington had 2 and Gibson had 1 FWIW.

The Anti Basti squad are an irritating bunch Seem to have no idea of Bastis job from week to week

We need skill as well Should be in every week No doubt

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back