3 Things you learnt vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea we couldn't have played any worse.

R.Gray, S.Gray, Wingard, Monfries held goalless. White that 1 goal at the start.

Hartlett, Westhoff gone missing, Cornes at his ineffective worst, Ebert turning it over and giving away frees in every contest, Broadbent squibbing, Lobbe pantsed.

At least 3/4 of the team was horrible today.
And yet we were still within 11 points inside the last 5 minutes. I hated losing - especially against the cross town rivals, but the season is far from over. We've got a very smart coach in our corner: IN KEN WE TRUST!!!!!

1. Trengove's importance to our structure is massive, bigger than previously thought.

2. When things don't go our way with injuries, shit umpiring and a bit of rain on top, we struggle to stay on top of the match.

3. The atmosphere at Port games at AO > atmosphere at Crows AO games.

Maybe from your perspective but from most opposition clubs view point you didn't have a really bad day. Well that's my opinion anyway.
biggest loss for the year. Only game we have lost both 3rd and 4tth quarter.only game we have had a goal less quarter.kicked 1.6 from set shots in the first half when could have had a 4 goal buffer at half time.

Probably shows how good a year it has been.

1. The home-crowd factor at Adelaide Oval with 50,000+ at both of this year's showdowns has been incredibly important. The home-crowd applause for little things is noticed by the players and it enables each team to build and sustain a belief in themselves. I'm glad, in a South Australian footy sense, that both teams have won their home showdown this year. This may be the beginning of a new footy energy – Showdowns at Adelaide Oval – at a time when the Showdowns at AAMI had begun to lose their sheen.

2. The judges of the Showdown Medal enjoy giving votes to big men. I thought Lobbe and Jacobs had a fantastic struggle all night and that Jacobs, with his goals and a little better ground play won the edge but I didn't think Jacobs was the best player on the ground. Scott Thompson was possibly the most consistent but Ollie Wines was right up there too.

3. Chad Wingard is a game-turner in any match, especially big ones. And maybe, in spite of this being a Showdown, Ken didn't think this was a season-defining game. If Hinkley made any mistakes at all, it could have been that he didn't find a way to bring Chad into the game more often and more effectively. On the other hand, you can't play your ace in every deal.

4. From an Adelaide perspective, this game was fraught with danger with Porplyzia, Lynch and Brad Crouch back in the side all at the same time after long absences. This was a huge dare which could have confused the home side more than than the visitors. In the end, bold selections paid off. That was new.

5. For the first time this year, Port played as if they expected opportunities to present themselves rather than understanding that they had to make them happen. This loss won't hurt their preparation for the finals in the same way that the loss against Sydney a fortnight ago was the best thing that could have happened. As everybody always says, you only learn new things from your losses.

1. Port needed a reality check, and boy they got one
2. Matt White is going to be huge in the showdowns to come
3. The crows need a new sound for when they kick a goal. The 'caw' is a bloody joke.

1. Port needed a reality check, and boy they got one
2. Matt White is going to be huge in the showdowns to come
3. The crows need a new sound for when they kick a goal. The 'caw' is a bloody joke.
I'm not a fan of the pre-recorded crowd noise coming out of the speakers either.

I like it when supporters are realistic about their team but honestly you are being overly critical. The way Port has played throughout this year makes me jealous. You fitness levels are possibly the best in the league. And every team has an off day. You will kick the bombers next week and all will be well. Plus I 'll be happy as well :)

I think we are being realistic though.

I don't know about others here but I've always felt that Port are still behind Hawthorn and now Sydney and perhaps Fremantle.

Personally I always felt that we are still a year away from being where we want to be to contend, right now it's still building blocks for us. Our rise in ladder position has suddenly lifted expectations when most of us would've taken just being in the finals in the preseason.

What this showdown showed me is that it is easy to expose our high risk game plan and that our players can be a mental mess and it concerns me because you just can't fumble, get awed in front of goals, give away silly free kicks come finals. That's two games in away finals atmosphere which we've lost now, gotta be able to win in finals like pressure anywhere.

1. The home-crowd factor at Adelaide Oval with 50,000+ at both of this year's showdowns has been incredibly important. The home-crowd applause for little things is noticed by the players and it enables each team to build and sustain a belief in themselves. I'm glad, in a South Australian footy sense, that both teams have won their home showdown this year. This may be the beginning of a new footy energy – Showdowns at Adelaide Oval – at a time when the Showdowns at AAMI had begun to lose their sheen.

2. The judges of the Showdown Medal enjoy giving votes to big men. I thought Lobbe and Jacobs had a fantastic struggle all night and that Jacobs, with his goals and a little better ground play won the edge but I didn't think Jacobs was the best player on the ground. Scott Thompson was possibly the most consistent but Ollie Wines was right up there too.

3. Chad Wingard is a game-turner in any match, especially big ones. And maybe, in spite of this being a Showdown, Ken didn't think this was a season-defining game. If Hinkley made any mistakes at all, it could have been that he didn't find a way to bring Chad into the game more often and more effectively. On the other hand, you can't play your ace in every deal.

4. From an Adelaide perspective, this game was fraught with danger with Porplyzia, Lynch and Brad Crouch back in the side all at the same time after long absences. This was a huge dare which could have confused the home side more than than the visitors. In the end, bold selections paid off. That was new.

5. For the first time this year, Port played as if they expected opportunities to present themselves rather than understanding that they had to make them happen. This loss won't hurt their preparation for the finals in the same way that the loss against Sydney a fortnight ago was the best thing that could have happened. As everybody always says, you only learn new things from your losses.

Thank you JK for a sensible reasoned post.

I think we are being realistic though.

I don't know about others here but I've always felt that Port are still behind Hawthorn and now Sydney and perhaps Fremantle.

I went to the Sydney game at the SCG a fortnight ago and it was a thrilling encounter. It took Port three and a half quarters to reconstruct their game to suit that strange venue. They were cramped in the spine and prevented from moving forward. Sydney's defensive clamp was extraordinary. But Port worked it out by moving the ball into space in split seconds after every possession.

All season, Port has been the master of the turnover... slipshooting from defense. Extracting openings from nothing and it's been a joy to behold. Port are not behind Sydney; it's a mistake to say that.

We can test this in a few weeks' time when Sydney comes to Adelaide Oval and, if necessary, when Port play Sydney for the third time at the MCG in the grand final. At both of those two venues, Sydney won't be able to control the space as they do in their own camp.

Sydney is a sensational team – make no mistake about that – but, right now, in my don't-care view, Port retains an edge over them.

Hawthorn is a different matter. They've lost their coach; they keep losing their game-changer Rioli; they have had other significant injuries in a difficult season. Port beat them at Adelaide Oval in Round Nine by 14 points (as if I need to say that) and won't play Hawthorn again until the finals.

The Hawks have clear winners on every line and they enjoy big matches.
So does Port.

I wouldn't worry about this Showdown. It's not the important battle of the year.

As for Fremantle? They are an unpredictable bucket of purple frogs. Anything can happen with them... or not. In any case, Port has too many live wires for them to contain. They only have a couple.

Last edited:
We are not a pefect team by any means and we could do with a straight kicking Butcher, a fit and firing Moore, a two year older Impey and a 5Kg bigger Jasper, however we have a chance and chances as chances do not come around that often we need to grab it with both hands now. Not next year or the year after but now.
Who knows in a couple of years we could be further back in the pack for a number of reasons. GWS, Suns, Collingwood and free agency, who knows but this year we are a chance.

2014 the year of the Pear. :thumbsu:

We are at least 12 months off being a contender - contenders take care of business in games like this one.

We are having a form trough.

Our leaders are a work in progress and went missing during crucial periods of the game, Boak excepted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Trengove went down last season and our structure suffered, we lost 4 in a row. This season he's been even more important, had he been fit enough to continue he would've put Lobbe out of his misery, gone into the ruck and allowed us to have an extra runner. He is our most important player.

2. We finally now know Hinkley is human. Since he took over I can't think of more than two decisions he's made that I've thought were wrong, the showdown team selection being one of them. Kane Mitchell and Sam Gray in over Aaron Young, not taking advantage of their dropping of Rutten with a third tall.

3. My patience with Hartlett has worn thin, this close to seriously looking at whether what we could get for him in a trade makes us a better side

Am completely sold on Lycett.
Wingard needs his backside kicked.
We need another tall forward.

3 things I learnt-

1.The stadium is amazing, the noise and atmosphere inside is unbelievable, though the fake crowd noise is a joke,glad I got over here from Perth for the day pity we lost.
2.Trengove is our most important player, losing him shattered our gameplan.
3.We are human and no need to over react to the loss.Unlike some posting here I feel we needed a reality check like that so now the lads can knuckle down and get the wins we need to stay top 2.

1. After Port showdown win, port supporters on FB and everywhere "yes, we won well done power". After crows win crows supporters be like "suck on that <insert random port supporter here> you guys are shit" and messages to every port supporter they know.

Lol they are such bad supporters, but being in a town where its basically all crows positivity and they go to a stadium that is pure crows must just feed that fire like crazy.

1. After Port showdown win, port supporters on FB and everywhere "yes, we won well done power". After crows win crows supporters be like "suck on that <insert random port supporter here> you guys are shit" and messages to every port supporter they know.

Lol they are such bad supporters, but being in a town where its basically all crows positivity and they go to a stadium that is pure crows must just feed that fire like crazy.

Pretty much.

After we slammed them I posted things like photos of the stadium, "wowee" and the like on social media. Nothing malignant or 'anti-Crows' out of respect for my West Lakes-aligned friends. They win and I've had people who haven't mentioned footy for 2 years chip at me and been showered with enough anti-Port memes to fill 4chan.

Their supporter culture is in a class of its own.

If you think this is endemic to Crows supporters you need a serious reality check.

If you think this is endemic to Crows supporters you need a serious reality check.
Its just reality mate. Its true everyone does it, but the crows are by far the worst goimg around. Go ask anyone that supports a vic club in adelaide and they all to a man will say that the crows supporters are the worst.

Lets go an example hey. Me after port win showdown, 1 pre-game facebook status "The state is the winner today and regardless of the outcome we should all be proud of AO. Go the power!". No messages to anyone.
After crows win, im tagged in 3 videos, 2 pictures, 4 statuses and recieved 8 messages.

As a fair and balanced supporter that is not one eyed and truly felt we may lose, hence my tip of port by 2pts, it is funny that my friends would do this but it truly higlights the small town mentality of crows supporters. No point fighting it im used to it, all through the 80'S AND 90's it was exactly the same in the SANFL

Last edited:
1. Trengove's importance to our structure is massive, bigger than previously thought.

2. When things don't go our way with injuries, shit umpiring and a bit of rain on top, we struggle to stay on top of the match.

3. The atmosphere at Port games at AO > atmosphere at Crows AO games.

upload_2014-6-30_8-2-33.png

The third point stood out for me, and this flashing up all the time to go with crowd noise made my Geelong supporting Mrs laugh and take the photo.
Trengoves injury was massive, as it destroyed our back half structures, in particular Broadbents role changed.
I thought we wasted a fair bit of first half dominance - and kept them in it, which you just can't do. Gave away some stupid frees.

Its just reality mate. Its true everyone does it, but the crows are by far the worst goimg around. Go ask anyone that supports a vic club in adelaide and they all to a man will say that the crows supporters are the worst.

Lets go an example hey. Me after port win showdown, 1 pre-game facebook status "The state is the winner today and regardless of the outcome we should all be proud of AO. Go the power!". No messages to anyone.
After crows win, im tagged in 3 videos, 2 pictures, 4 statuses and recieved 8 messages.

As a fair and balanced supporter that is not one eyed and truly felt we may lose, hence my tip of port by 2pts, it is funny that my griends would do this but it truly higlights the small town mentality of crows supporters. No point fighting it im used to it, all through the 80'S AND 90's it was exactly the same in the SANFL
I suppose your friends represent a perfect cross section of society eh? All supports have the same proportion of gracious winners/losers and sore winners/losers. To suggest otherwise only confirms the theory of confirmation bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

3 Things you learnt vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back