30 & 3 or GTFO!

Remove this Banner Ad

Which there is always a LOT of, right?

Depends what you classify as mediocre or poor. If we're talking expansion teams, then there's not a lot of them.

If we're talking just the bottom 10, then that's most of the competition, and it's no surprise that Bartel's best performances this year have all been against the bottom 10.

Six point gap between top two and the rest and constantly owns that other team in the top two.

He's always been poor to mediocre against Hawthorn. Even in the 2008 Grand Final he was virtually a liability.

How many games has he played now?

Port are still an 'expansion side', lol

He's played two games, which is why it's too soon to judge if he'll capitalise on expansion teams, such as Bartel is doing.

I didn't trumpet his first game as amazing, however so far there is no reason to think that he is going to be capitalising on expansion teams, such as Bartel has done.

You highlighted Chris Scott calling Bartel under-rated and commented that it sounded silly. I rather agree.

I'll type slowly.

I quoted the following (I've changed the emphasis to give you what I'd hoped should have been sufficiently obvious to the average person of meagre intellect):

New Cats coach Chris Scott is one of many at Skilled Stadium who are bemused by the fact that the No. 3, as silly as it sounds, continues to be under-rated.

I then said "It does sound silly". I did that because I was trying to avoid the rudeness which would have come through calling you a silly (whatever my opinions on that matter might be). I now see there is no option as relatively basic writing techniques seem to elude you. You are a silly (and it seems that Chris Scott agrees).

Not to patronise or anything, but you really should have learned this stuff in high school.

I'm just not sure if he should stop performing against expansion teams and other lowly teams, it's a tough one, there's always like 15-16 teams below the team he plays in. I just don't think he should avoid the ball in junk time or any other time in the game, he's there to play. He's never in doubt as far as selection goes.

I'll type slowly.
I quoted the following (I've changed the emphasis to give you what I'd hoped should have been sufficiently obvious to the average person of meagre intellect):
New Cats coach Chris Scott is one of many at Skilled Stadium who are bemused by the fact that the No. 3, as silly as it sounds, continues to be under-rated.

Nothing wrong with my intellect, if you look back your emphasis in your original post was clearly on the 'continues to be under-rated' which you then commented did sound silly.

I'm not to blame for your Freudian slip, brother.

If we're talking just the bottom 10, then that's most of the competition, and it's no surprise that Bartel's best performances this year have all been against the bottom 10.

His best games have been against Richmond, Collingwood, and a highly competitive Gold Coast.

So you're wrong, again.

He's always been poor to mediocre against Hawthorn. Even in the 2008 Grand Final he was virtually a liability.

Well done, you picked the one where he certainly was poor, and tried to paint it as the norm.

Why do you bother? Who are you trying to convince?

His best games have been against Richmond, Collingwood, and a highly competitive Gold Coast. So you're wrong, again.

He was in the best for Collingwood that game, sure. We're talking about him being the best for his own team though.

Well done, you picked the one where he certainly was poor

We're talking about games against Hawthorn Doris, and he's been mediocre to poor in most of those.

In terms of Grand Finals though, again you'd have to say mediocre to poor in his first two, and then it got better after that.

He was in the best for Collingwood that game, sure. We're talking about him being the best for his own team though.

We're talking about games against Hawthorn Doris, and he's been mediocre to poor in most of those.

In terms of Grand Finals though, again you'd have to say mediocre to poor in his first two, and then it got better after that.
He probably does more than you would think or admit against Hawthorn.
Y'know, stats, numbers, pie charts etc
You get what I mean.

He was in the best for Collingwood that game, sure. We're talking about him being the best for his own team though

Had a shocking first 5 minutes - was very good after that.

Nah.

Was good in 07, great in 09 and 11. Got a lot of touches in 08, but was ineffective.

Not like he's a Sam Mitchell or anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a shocking first 5 minutes - was very good after that.

Virtually handed the Pies the game in the first quarter and went completely missing in the last.

Good on you for trying to sneak a top 8 side in there though.

Was good in 07, great in 09 and 11. Got a lot of touches in 08, but was ineffective.
I felt he was very effective for Hawthorn, again he seemed to forget which team he was playing for.

2007 he was ineffective. Remember the game being over by quarter time and Bartel struggling to get into it.

Not like he's a Sam Mitchell or anything.

Sam Mitchell has performed poorly due to attracting the toughest tag in each Grand Final. This is because he is rated by the coaches as a dangerous player, the opposite of Bartel who never gets any attention.

Mitchell is a big game choker, who disappears when the heat is on. What sort of dangerous midfielder can't get a touch when he has an opponent?

Then there's Rioli.

Both with well known, rusted on reputations for being shit in big games.

Bartel is known as the premier big game performer in the comp.

Bad luck on that, too.

Mitchell has plenty of 30 touch games - but has he kicked 3 goals in his career?

Mitchell is a big game choker, who disappears when the heat is on. What sort of dangerous midfielder can't get a touch when he has an opponent?

Then there's Rioli.

Both with well known, rusted on reputations for being shit in big games.

Bartel is known as the premier big game performer in the comp.

Bad luck on that, too.

Mitchell has plenty of 30 touch games - but has he kicked 3 goals in his career?

Photos of Bartel or GTFO

Depends what you classify as mediocre or poor. If we're talking expansion teams, then there's not a lot of them.
Bit unfair to still be lumping Gold Coast in with GWS isn't it? They're currently going better than a number of established teams.
He's always been poor to mediocre against Hawthorn.
Hilarious. No wonder people genuinely think you don't watch football and just look at stat sheets.
He's played two games, which is why it's too soon to judge if he'll capitalise on expansion teams, such as Bartel is doing.
Surely if you were going to capitalise on anyone it would be Melbourne..
In terms of the overrated Bartel, one feels obliged to notice that the only games in the last 3 years where he has gotten 30 possessions or more is against the expansion teams.
Well that's alright since he hasn't played as a midfielder for the last 3 years. If that's your concern then you should be more worried about Rioli, who spends a lot more time in the middle than Bartel does. When was his last 30 possession game? (Trick question, he's never had one).

The odd game against Collingwood and Sydney for example have been factored in.

Bartel still relies heavily on the expansion teams.

More worrying is his reliance this year on mediocre/poor opposition.

On an individual level, there is a big difference. The TEAMS may have been competitive, but Bartel would be more likely to have a young, inexperienced opponent and is able to fill his boots against such a player.

Ranks among the more bizarre statements I have ever read.
I'm sure jimmy read the opp. Team sheet, found the shortest, lightest 3 game player he could, went to Chris Scott and said " play me on this bloke, I need to pad up my stats, there's a bloke on BF who thinks I'm overrated!"
You're losing it, and making things up as you go. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

30 & 3 or GTFO!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back