Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t get that sense from Taz, quite the opposite. He had good games forward, but he never seemed a natural forward to me with his positioning and leading patterns. He was strong one on one and could mark well though, which lent itself well to defending. Within a game or two, Taz looked far more comfortable when he went down back.

Lachie was a bit similar to Taz, but I always thought Lachie’s general ‘footy’ nous made him more adaptable at either end. I felt comfortable with Lachie first game back in 2013 as an interceptor.

Lachie isn’t the worst defender type to aspire to for Chom. Lachie was never brilliant one-on-one (wasn’t poor at it), but was a great intercept mark. Chom still has a way to go reading the ball, but the raw marking is fast getting there.

Chom has the forward footy smarts, so time will tell down back.

Obviously, my assessment is very preliminary and mostly based on many years of watching, rather than playing.
I'd suggest the difference between Hansen and Comben is that Hansen never really liked physical contact yet he was a great overhead mark which is why he was best as an interceptor. Comben likes the physical stuff a little too much.

I didn’t get that sense from Taz, quite the opposite. He had good games forward, but he never seemed a natural forward to me with his positioning and leading patterns. He was strong one on one and could mark well though, which lent itself well to defending. Within a game or two, Taz looked far more comfortable when he went down back.

Lachie was a bit similar to Taz, but I always thought Lachie’s general ‘footy’ nous made him more adaptable at either end. I felt comfortable with Lachie first game back in 2013 as an interceptor.

Lachie isn’t the worst defender type to aspire to for Chom. Lachie was never brilliant one-on-one (wasn’t poor at it), but was a great intercept mark. Chom still has a way to go reading the ball, but the raw marking is fast getting there.

Chom has the forward footy smarts, so time will tell down back.

Obviously, my assessment is very preliminary and mostly based on many years of watching, rather than playing.

If I am not mistaken (which happens often)

Taz was a backman/swingman as a junior
Lachie was a CHB as a junior, had a very good intercept game big strong mitts.
Chom was a Forward/Ruck as a junior

If playing him back is a means to get games into him then it is what it is.

I don't see it being a long term move because I agree Chom is more naturally suited to being a forward.

A year in the backline could possible be a means of education and to get a season into him.

Which long term may see him better off.

I'd suggest the difference between Hansen and Comben is that Hansen never really liked physical contact yet he was a great overhead mark which is why he was best as an interceptor. Comben likes the physical stuff a little too much.
There are still some question marks over Chom’s one on one ability at either end, which is understandable given his injuries. He is physical, but this has manifested itself in his tackling and attack on the ball when on the lead.

There are still some question marks over Chom’s one on one ability at either end, which is understandable given his injuries. He is physical, but this has manifested itself in his tackling and attack on the ball when on the lead.

Not sure he will ever get on the park long enough to answer said question. And I'm a fan, but have zero faith in him now.

anyone else have the pleasure of meeting chom at the further north podcast show on sunday? really good conversationalist and really open about how the preseason's been going and his hopes for the year, had time for everyone and seemed genuinely grateful to all the supporters who came along. the kind of guy you want at a football club.

anyone else have the pleasure of meeting chom at the further north podcast show on sunday? really good conversationalist and really open about how the preseason's been going and his hopes for the year, had time for everyone and seemed genuinely grateful to all the supporters who came along. the kind of guy you want at a football club.
I was there - a fantastic ambassador for the club

Did he train today?

dog floating GIF

He ran on the Alter-Alter-G which is an anti-gravity trainer for players at risk using the Alter-G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Straight in for round 1 pls and thanks

Jesse hogan or Aaron Cadman awaits

Corr to take the other

If hes fit and ready to go, we need to let him partner Larkey up front.
I know were trying to protect his body and his career longevity but if were serious about improving and winning games then the change has to be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back