Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Rising star eligible players

JacksonArcherNorth Melbourne
CooperHarveyNorth Melbourne
RobertHansen JrNorth Melbourne
BlakeDruryNorth Melbourne
GeorgeWardlawNorth Melbourne
ZaneDuursmaNorth Melbourne
BraydenGeorgeNorth Melbourne
RileyHardemanNorth Melbourne
ColbyMcKercherNorth Melbourne
WilDawsonNorth Melbourne
TaylorGoadNorth Melbourne
FinnbarMaleyNorth Melbourne

Just watched the video of Charlie speaking after the game. He almost looks like he is going to cry. So honest about his game and his desire for himself and the team to get better. If all the other players felt the way Charlie feels, we would be on our way in no time.
I felt the same way, watching that interview. The entire playing list needs to sit down and watch it, and if any of them don't care to his level after that, they can FRO.

You'd hope by the end of the year we get a game with this set up, if only to give Wil Dawson a taste of the top flight.
Honestly if WDawson goes alright in the vfl and is not out of his depth I’d run Comben, and the Dawson brothers against Hawthorn.

And drop Apples.

Thought he was excellent. A lot of his game reminded me of a young Taz back there.

Corr is utterly dreadful and should be dropped. He is offering nothing and if he is picked again we are taking the piss.

Vs Geelong

Cameron - K Dawson

Hawkins - Chom

Henry - W Dawson to debut

I wouldn’t rule Logue out going forward to help with the mess down there when he returns.

Just watched the video of Charlie speaking after the game. He almost looks like he is going to cry. So honest about his game and his desire for himself and the team to get better. If all the other players felt the way Charlie feels, we would be on our way in no time.

Great call. Spoke like the game and the club mean something to him, and even though he had a career day, he’s feeling the hurt.

McDonald and Simpkin should watch this daily over the next week.

Keeping his opponent to 12 scoring shots was fantastic.

Imagine if Pink had that against his name.

Now I'm a Charlie fan and he did some goods things but cripes . 12 scoring shots.

This is not completely unfair, but the clear differential to Pink is that he clearly has some potential and tools to be a good player.

The comparison to Corr is that Comben doesn't run around like a faux angry meth head and yell at other blokes to do their jobs whilst being utterly dog shit at his own.

So, because of this, he's a positive from the weekend.

This is not completely unfair, but the clear differential to Pink is that he clearly has some potential and tools to be a good player.

The comparison to Corr is that Comben doesn't run around like a faux angry meth head and yell at other blokes to do their jobs whilst being utterly dog s**t at his own.

So, because of this, he's a positive from the weekend.
Corr always looks shocked that he's playing a game of football when his opponent marks the ball 5m in front of him lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corr always looks shocked that he's playing a game of football when his opponent marks the ball 5m in front of him lol
Corr’s attempts at arriving at the contest three seconds late and obviously high to cause physical damage reminds me of Milo Kerrigan’s attempts at negotiating a door.

Now I'm a Charlie fan and he did some goods things but cripes . 12 scoring shots.

He looked a little lost early, but once he settled, he looked quite good. All the tools of a modern day back man.

He preparedness to come off his man and cover or intercept was refreshing. As was his ability to distribute. We haven’t had that in a key defender since Tarrant.

Locking down was never his go

He’s an attacking player down back. 25 disposals shows he can get it and he used it well. Maybe rebound/intercepting is his go.

Round 1 next year could be

Comben - rebound/interceptor
K Dawson - lockdown/rebounder
W Dawson - lock down/interceptor
Logue - lockdown

Next two and bench from Goater, Bergman, fisher, Hardeman, archer

I remember as a young lad Jack Dyer on WOS stating never off load a failed CHF until you've tried him at CHB.
Now I agree it's just we haven't really tried him at CHF.

just because a fella played at the highest level doesn't make them always right. Patch saying he will be the linchpin at CHB is great, and I'm sure that's not his call. But a collective viewpoint.

I after discussing in depth the 98 GF loss ( with someone heavily involved that day, in the box) have realised that these decision makers aren't that far ahead of a pundit with solid eyesight.

we'd have won in 98 had Pagan listened to some of the players. And that is my point.
Play Charlie at CHF as we have no one else. Play Pink if we have too in the backline.

stop trying to be fancy. Larkey is starving and our mid fwds have zero support.

I remember as a young lad Jack Dyer on WOS stating never off load a failed CHF until you've tried him at CHB.

just because a fella played at the highest level doesn't make them always right. Patch saying he will be the linchpin at CHB is great, and I'm sure that's not his call. But a collective viewpoint.

I after discussing in depth the 98 GF loss ( with someone heavily involved that day, in the box) have realised that these decision makers aren't that far ahead of a pundit with solid eyesight.

we'd have won in 98 had Pagan listened to some of the players. And that is my point.
Play Charlie at CHF as we have no one else. Play Pink if we have too in the backline.

I agree bro. Our KPD stocks are bad but are better than our KPF stocks for sure.

Looked like Darcy Moore to me

They're playing him back coz he keeps getting badly injured as a KPF.

Pink is deflating in the back half. Have you ever thought that maybe the players want Charlie back behind the footy?

From memory yes he can clunk but he would turn to water in front of the big sticks and then we’d be even more deflated.

I like the look of him behind the ball because we are currently spending 70% of our time there and we need more aggressive campaigners back there

Spot on. Chom is THE ONLY CHF we have on our list and if he played more than 3 games a season we might actually find out that he’s a good one. So much doubt and anxiety about the back 6, so we put all our offensive weapons down there and leave the forward line a waste land.
If we need a tall, intercept defender for 6 rounds while we wait for Logue to return, give Jnr Dawson a crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back