Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Having watched a lot more tape of this kid in the last 24hrs (sorry can’t upload as it’s from a NAB League club).

I can’t shake the thought that he moves like Harris Andrews.

Harris is 202cm vs Comden at 199.

It will be interesting to see how we are planning on developing him if forward or ruck or defender.

He’s definitely got the pace, agility and vertical to play behind the ball really well.

Just reading some of the early (2019!) posts on Chom. Well spotted Pykie!

I was browsing the stats on AFL.com.au earlier, and it's actually quite crazy how they compare. Comben is neck and neck if not beating him in basically every important metric across the course of the year. IIRC the biggest key difference in Mckay's favour was that he had ~3% better 1on1 win rate and slightly better disposal efficiency and turnovers - because he gets it less and handballs most of the time! In practically everything else there was negligible difference or Comben was comfortably ahead, including a whole extra intercept mark per game.

Insanity. There's just so much more upside to be uncovered still too!
Comben has, on numerous occasions in the last few weeks, done a Sam Wright and intercept marked at a critical position and time and without flinching has cannoned the ball forward to advantage.

He will start doing this more and more each game, but there would be no hope in hell of McKay having the confidence/ability/smarts to do this.

Now Magoo is a spud 🙄. There was only 2 posters celebrating Ben leaving North.
And I know who they both are 😘
Cob, if I'm not the other, I'll spew.
May 1st 2023:
If it wasn't free agency and another club came up to us and offered pick 3 you'd bite their ****ing hand off. Important to our rebuild, sure, but the bloke gets 9 touches a game, he's worth much less than a top 5 pick.
June 7th:
Yeah, no idea how we'll find a key defender to show up to play one good game a year. The whole replacement argument implies that we're actually that much better off with McKay in the team. Anecdotally we haven't won a game with him this entire season. He has upside but he's also injury prone and can't kick. Just because he's 200cm and took a lot of intercept marks last year while we were conceding 60 inside 50s a game doesn't mean he's indispensable or needs to be replaced by a like for like player.
September 19th:
Can't believe there's anyone who isn't cranking themselves off at the mere thought of getting pick 3 for this lamppost. Pick 3 for a tall that can't defend or kick. We're ****ing laughing.

Now Magoo is a spud 🙄. There was only 2 posters celebrating Ben leaving North.
And I know who they both are 😘
I didn't want him to go at the start of last year. Thought it would cost us big time. Happy to admit I was wrong about that.

In fact you and Micky P. brought me round to that pov over the season with your constant harping on about him. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

called it in 2019 - but lets just ignore the stuff about Sam Durdin being better :$

1720051910304.png

1720051885670.png

A million lol, the Hawf fans are mad for a "lol". I have recently discovered that.

If Ben Magoo is a million a season, Burger King will get a mil per season, Nogun McDonald is highly sort after. And it seems will command a huge salary increase.

Charlie is easy a 10 mil per season player if we're comparing apples with apples. But luckily we're comparing apples with spuds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back