Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

I still rate McKay. Come at me.

Play him back and we could actually have Comben freewheel with less regard for an opponent. Or he goes forward with much less opportunity cost.

Wasn't to be, Magoo told us to GAGF and we played a perfect FA game.
I don't know if it's as simple as that, I think McKay would've been perfectly happy to stay at North and probably let his manager take charge, while we essentially chose pick 3 over him. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares too much what team he plays for. That's the biggest difference between him and Charlie, who would probably run through a brick wall for our club.

I don't know if it's as simple as that, I think McKay would've been perfectly happy to stay at North and probably let his manager take charge, while we essentially chose pick 3 over him. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares too much what team he plays for. That's the biggest difference between him and Charlie, who would probably run through a brick wall for our club.
McKay gives off Andre Agassi vibes.

Purely a job to earn buckloads of cash.

Does it because he’s good (relatively). Not because he likes it.

I still rate McKay. Come at me.

Play him back and we could actually have Comben freewheel with less regard for an opponent. Or he goes forward with much less opportunity cost.

Wasn't to be, Magoo told us to GAGF and we played a perfect FA game.

And isn't that the beauty of it all, you can and have the right to an opinion on Magoo and, no one should question it.
We and I mean the BF collectively suffer from ' group think'.

Magoo of course is worthy of getting a game for us currently, I hope with the return of Logue, and the Dawson brothers continue to grow their respective brands, he won't be missed at all.
I still don't rate him and currently I can't see me ever doing so.

And of course we got pick #3 and have an extra 1 mil per season available, I do think at some stage these ridiculous offers will bite clubs, when they offer 'unders' to a player on their list, who uses a Magoo as an example for a hefty pay rise.

We will see, as we darn well say!

But on Charlie he is a special player, and deserves a solid career, and the accolades and the $$$ that comes with it all. He seems a very decent human.

And isn't that the beauty of it all, you can and have the right to an opinion on Magoo and, no one should question it.
We and I mean the BF collectively suffer from ' group think'.

Magoo of course is worthy of getting a game for us currently, I hope with the return of Logue, and the Dawson brothers continue to grow their respective brands, he won't be missed at all.
I still don't rate him and currently I can't see me ever doing so.

And of course we got pick #3 and have an extra 1 mil per season available, I do think at some stage these ridiculous offers will bite clubs, when they offer 'unders' to a player on their list, who uses a Magoo as an example for a hefty pay rise.

We will see, as we darn well say!

But on Charlie he is a special player, and deserves a solid career, and the accolades and the $$$ that comes with it all. He seems a very decent human.
Something to add is that Chom has just turned 22 a few days ago & Magoo is turning 27 later this year.
Magoo has hit his ceiling (if there was one ) Chom will be an AA in 2 years . (Put your house on it )
We honestly as a club won tatslotto getting rid of Magoo & picking up pick 3 & a $1M per year salary saving .
Chom much > Magoo already & only after 1/2 a season in the backline . Offers so much more in this key role .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First half he was Shannon Watt without a guide dog.

Second half he was David Dench.

Credit to him for responding.

Day out played him early and took advantage of his strength but they worked it out well as the game went on and we were lucky he went off in the last. About time we had some luck in a game tho. So I'll take it.

Last edited:
About as rough a start as he could have but built into the game beautifully.

FWIW I thought even with his colours lowered in the first half he was hardly having a mare. Good lesson from a bigger player playing a good game - no defender will get through their career without being taken hold of and even whilst getting beaten I had confidence he could compete and play out the game. A win and a lesson for him.

When actually needing to stand toe to toe, he gets found wanting.

When allowed a run and jump, he’s phenomenal.

Basically like a slightly inferior Darcy Moore.

One thing I’d like him to think about is, despite being such a good intercept mark, you don’t have to mark it every time. You’re a defender. Sometimes, most of the time in fact, you should be punching the ball 20m in our direction.

I reckon he let the ball get out the back 3-4 times today because he didn’t sink the fist into it.

Day’s hands were fantastic.. Charlie will learn a lot from today. Bounced back strongly in the second half
Virtualy exactly my thoughts as well. Sometimes you learn more in adversity. Like you say Days hands were seriously on today, was seeing it like a beach ball , timing his leaps and clunking them casboult peak. Fortunately for us a few of his goalkicking shots were casboult like as well

FWIW I thought even with his colours lowered in the first half he was hardly having a mare. Good lesson from a bigger player playing a good game - no defender will get through their career without being taken hold of and even whilst getting beaten I had confidence he could compete and play out the game. A win and a lesson for him.
Well said.

Day was noticeably bigger and got the literal jump on him a few times. It happens to the est of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back