Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

So it bloody should have been

We were owed luck today. ****ing owed it by the football gods.

Amen. Yeah we’ve been very ordinary, but as is well documented on other threads we’ve had everything that could go wrong find a way to go wrong. For 10 years+

God I hope it’s turning on that front. Logan McDonald fluffing two chances to win two games is a good sign in that regard. As is a relatively healthy list, the injuries to Day and Miller at GC, and their miss at the end of the game yesterday.

Someone must have organised an exorcism of the Carey bad spirits at Arden St/a certain bathroom during the bye.

I’ll be convinced of it if the Hawks racism saga finds a way to end in the next few months, Brayden George’s knee recovers more quickly than anticipated, and Cornes & Wilson get chronic laryngitis.

I'm happy for him to stay in defence, but gee wiz do some of those marks look like elite key forward grabs. If only he learned some leading and how to get separation, and not play to the defender chasing him.

When it's just him focusing on the ball he's as good as it gets.

Dont
Amen. Yeah we’ve been very ordinary, but as is well documented on other threads we’ve had everything that could go wrong find a way to go wrong. For 10 years+

God I hope it’s turning on that front. Logan McDonald fluffing two chances to win two games is a good sign in that regard. As is a relatively healthy list, the injuries to Day and Miller at GC, and their miss at the end of the game yesterday.

Someone must have organised an exorcism of the Carey bad spirits at Arden St/a certain bathroom during the bye.

I’ll be convinced of it if the Hawks racism saga finds a way to end in the next few months, Brayden George’s knee recovers more quickly than anticipated, and Cornes & Wilson get chronic laryngitis.
Don’t forget Mr Magoo Damo Barrett

And Goater returning, unaffected and unimpeded by his injury

Both Charles and Arch present as very good students. Both of seem to be learning more new things in every single game.

I do wonder whether the backline is a big chunk of education to make him a better forward.

Not advocating the move right now but it will be interesting to see how this plays out as we clearly have more backs than we do proven forwards.

The problem for Chom is he's our best performed back and our most likely to translate form forward.

I am glad I am not making the decisions.

I do wonder whether the backline is a big chunk of education to make him a better forward.

Not advocating the move right now but it will be interesting to see how this plays out as we clearly have more backs than we do proven forwards.

The problem for Chom is he's our best performed back and our most likely to translate form forward.

Corr has been a better defender against better opposition. I love Chom, but he has only been so-so as a defender. He can only get better as a defender if they choose to keep going down that path but I have that nagging feeling that he is just too much of an instinct player to really grasp the nuances of a good defender.

Corr has been a better defender against better opposition. I love Chom, but he has only been so-so as a defender. He can only get better as a defender if they choose to keep going down that path but I have that nagging feeling that he is just too much of an instinct player to really grasp the nuances of a good defender.
Turn it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you are dead right. You can be guaranteed if Clarko moves him forward and he gets injured Imagine the Clarko knockers on here meaning our own.

I was all onboard with sending back and keeping him back while we hunt FAs for a forward.

But looking at any FA/ RFA forwards for 26 theres really nothing other than trying to move interstate players who are locals (not going to happen).

So yeah he's most obvious but i do worry about the body holding up to the extra abuse a forward gets.

Id like to see us make a play for J.Cameron not sure how feasible that is. Scott for Cameron would seen reasonable id have thought. First he and the cats would have to believe they aint winning any flags in the next few years. He'd play the Pink role. Then Elmo, W.Dawson and CCJ fighting it out for CHF or two of them if Larkey goes down.

Duursma learning from Cameron would be huge and can take his spot forward in a few years. Until then HB or Wing to get him more involved.

If not then Chom may well have to more forward. Theres really no gettable quality forward options im seeing tbh.

Yes, a lot of people don't understand the difference between a great stopper and an interceptor. Some are good at both, others are not.

I think Charlie is still better suited to be a forward given his marking style, but when played there he wasn't a reliable kick, which is why we have a dilemma here. Do we continue to teach him the craft of defending or once Logue is fully match fit we make the swap?

I was all onboard with sending back and keeping him back while we hunt FAs for a forward.

But looking at any FA/ RFA forwards for 26 theres really nothing other than trying to move interstate players who are locals (not going to happen).

So yeah he's most obvious but i do worry about the body holding up to the extra abuse a forward gets.

Id like to see us make a play for J.Cameron not sure how feasible that is. Scott for Cameron would seen reasonable id have thought. First he and the cats would have to believe they aint winning any flags in the next few years. He'd play the Pink role. Then Elmo, W.Dawson and CCJ fighting it out for CHF or two of them if Larkey goes down.

Duursma learning from Cameron would be huge and can take his spot forward in a few years. Until then HB or Wing to get him more involved.

If not then Chom may well have to more forward. Theres really no gettable quality forward options im seeing tbh.
I'm sorry, I may have read that incorrectly - but are you saying you think Geelong would trade Jeremy Cameron in a straight swap for Bailey Scott???

However, if I have read that correctly, then there is no way that Geelong would remotely entertain that!

I'm sorry, I may have read that incorrectly - but are you saying you think Geelong would trade Jeremy Cameron in a straight swap for Bailey Scott???

However, if I have read that correctly, then there is no way that Geelong would remotely entertain that!
He's 32 next year and out of contract.

IF he even decided to play on at 33 in 26, they could lose him for nothing with a retirement, oops North changed my mind play. Geelong need to rebuild we all know it, perhaps they dont given they're still up there atm. But a 1 year of Cameron for 8 or 9 from Scott? Yeah i think its in the ball park.

Edit: And if something like that was being worked out now they'd have 900k ish to throw at a FA this year.

Btw ive admitted it a left field idea and a long shot with all sorts of if n butts. Its more a case if you dont ask you dont receive.

Imagine Cameron taking Pink's spot in the current forward set up. We're finals ready.

Some people seem to have no clue how valuable it is to have an elite interceptor in defence. It's not like they grow on trees. They don't just spoil the ball with the potential that the opposition still scores. They completely stop 8-10 attacks a game and then launch the other way.

You just don't play them on guys who are 12kg heavier like Sam Day. Either way, pretty sure the commentators said Comben hadn't had many kicked on him since the bye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back