Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't put someone like that down back as an interceptor unless he has long blond hair and wears a ****en hairband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy , built like Tarzan and ****en plays like him, tell y'all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke has leader written all over him.

Multiple times yesterday he was in the backline geeing players up after a turn over.

He was playing forward.

Put his performance to the side for a second. For a long time we have bemoaned the lack of leadership on the field.

Well this bloke is one.

Leadership group next year.

We need to clone him.

Whilst his first half was awesome, we massively missed his intercept marks, particularly where he chops them off about 70 out from the oppo goal up the wing.

Clarko tried to employ Jackson in the role, but it didn't quite come off.

We should be targeting a forward, not a defender at the end of the year.

He's still a better defender.

We need to clone him.

Whilst his first half was awesome, we massively missed his intercept marks, particularly where he chops them off about 70 out from the oppo goal up the wing.

Clarko tried to employ Jackson in the role, but it didn't quite come off.

We should be targeting a forward, not a defender at the end of the year.

Wil Dawson is his clone

I would add a quantifier to this,

He is a better defender, on exposed form.

I'm interested to see him get a string of games to see what he has learnt from being a defender and how he translates it forward. a single game isn't enough to make that call.

I would add a quantifier to this,

He is a better defender, on exposed form.

I'm interested to see him get a string of games to see what he has learnt from being a defender and how he translates it forward. a single game isn't enough to make that call.

I'm in the minority with this view clearly;

But an elite intercepting CHB with modern game plans is far more important than a second tall forward that kicks even 40-50 goals a season, or even more.

So much scoring is generated and prevented from them and they are absolutely priceless.

Comben's intercept stats are not normal and not even replaceable more than likely.

Teams spend years and years looking for a key defender that can intercept like Lever, Moore, Andrews and Taylor. Comben is on that tier.

That level of defender almost always correlates with teams that win Premierships and/or come very close.

Think Rance, Scarlett, Harry Taylor, Brian Lake etc.

Very rarely is an elite defender playing in a terrible side, they propel their sides up the ladder, quickly.

There's plenty of elite forwards playing in shit sides in history, look at Larkey....

Can’t we just keep swinging him if there’s a momentum change?? Thought yesterday might have been good to see that
That could be the next step in the evolution of the team. We seem to be adding layers slowly.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

But an elite intercepting CHB with modern game plans is far more important than a second tall forward that kicks even 40-50 goals a season, or even more.

So much scoring is generated and prevented from them and they are absolutely priceless.

Comben's intercept stats are not normal and not even replaceable more than likely.

Teams spend years and years looking for a key defender that can intercept like Lever, Moore, Andrews and Taylor. Comben is on that tier.

That level of defender almost always correlates with teams that win Premierships and/or come very close.

Very rarely is an elite defender playing in a terrible side, they propel their sides up the ladder, quickly.

There's plenty of elite forwards playing in shit sides in history, look at Larkey....

This year looks the have been a learning year.

Maybe he is just really good at football.

I imagine a game where we Glendinning him and just station him at one end fo the ground. This week that would be an interesting choice where he plays CHB,CHF,CHB,CHF. and that is his game.

Maybe he is talented enough to context switch that much in the modern game.

Comben is basically our Drew Petrie.

Anywhere you put him, he excels but leaves a hole where he was previously.

In saying that, Carlton is one of the few teams whom have big key forwards that complain to the umpires every 5 seconds. Comben stays forward.

There's potential that we're not just talking about a 40-50 goal second tall forward. If he's going to kick straight then he could be a dominant force as a key forward. I think that's worth exploring.

He might be the best contested mark in the comp, at either end.

I would be playing him CHF for the rest of the season but I would swing him back when needed (like the 3rd quarter yesterday).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back