Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

does anyone know exactly what injury he has?

The shoulder has been causing issues for a while but the biggest issue is the groin supposedly.

He was unable to extend at training and either sprint or follow through when kicking. He looked seriously impacted at training and I would have given him 20% of being able to play, but he somehow got up?

In the first quarter he also went for a mark and landed awkwardly on his ankle and went off for treatment and never seemed to be comfortable after that.

Was grimacing in pain on the weekend so it is unusual he was not even referenced on the injury list today?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because there are still games to win and clearly despite the pain he can still play.

Don’t really understand the desperation in here to rest him.
I'd rather have Charlie fit at the beginning of preseason, rather than risking him exacerbating his injuries in the hope of winning another, in the longer term meaningless, game.

Yeah Charlie has missed so much footy I'd be disappointed if we rested him, we've lost Logue for the remainder of the year.
We must continue to improve on field and put us in the best position to not get belted by 8 plus goals.

There's 3 games left and I feel we can win against the Eagles, hopefully go down swinging V the Dogs and I'd love to stick it up the Hawfs. Arrogant AF those pesky Hawf fans.

He's been playing through a shoulder or something since pre bye?

Against the tigs there were moments where it seemed he was under more duress than he had been previously.

Whatever call that gets made should be done so with day 1 of preseason in mind for him to be fit to go and not still in rehab from whatever surgery he needs.

Would probably be good for him to at least get part of his off season outside of rehab too.

Yeah Charlie has missed so much footy I'd be disappointed if we rested him, we've lost Logue for the remainder of the year.
We must continue to improve on field and put us in the best position to not get belted by 8 plus goals.
I'd be disappointed that he's not out there but can understand sacrificing a couple of games now for him to to be right for preseason.

There's 3 games left and I feel we can win against the Eagles, hopefully go down swinging V the Dogs
Yes and yes

I'd love to stick it up the Hawfs. Arrogant AF those pesky Hawf fans.

If there is any team I want for us to start a streak against it is these f***s.

Because there are still games to win and clearly despite the pain he can still play.

Because he's got a shocking injury past and looked like he was stickytaped together vs Richmond.

Maybe he will learn to play through a injury rather than being on the sidelines for most of the start of his career

I don't have a issue with him playing if its checked off the medical team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's got a shocking injury past and looked like he was stickytaped together vs Richmond.
I can only assume that Charlie is playing because he really wants to play. He must be well and truly p’d off with playing one or two games and, then, missing a swathe of games. I can see the value in him pushing his body through as much as possible. While he looked incredibly sore after every contest on Saturday, it didn’t seem to interfere with his ability to win said contests. He managed to amass 20+ disposals, which is a credit to him. You’d expect our “medicos” are monitoring him closely. If Comben can play out the last 3 games of the season, it will be the best news overall. It will go a long way to proving his durability and will do his confidence no end of good.

Meanwhile played very well. Despite being in pain, he can still perform. As I said, we still have games to win, particularly this weekend. Without him this week (like last week) we don't win. Confident he can push through at least one more game.

Meanwhile played very well. Despite being in pain, he can still perform. As I said, we still have games to win, particularly this weekend. Without him this week (like last week) we don't win. Confident he can push through at least one more game.
I thought he was great. But he has to be protected from himself, injury that costs him preseason not worth it.

Only working on assumption he's sub-par.

I thought he was great. But he has to be protected from himself, injury that costs him preseason not worth it.

Only working on assumption he's sub-par.
Come on KC, you remind me of my Yugoslavian grandmother running onto the field in my u12s game when someone pushed me in the back.
If the boy is right, let the boy play.

He was playing on a spud

I'd rather have Charlie fit at the beginning of preseason, rather than risking him exacerbating his injuries in the hope of winning another, in the longer term meaningless, game.

We can probably win against wet toast without with comben.

Corr dawson pink should handle the opposition pretty easily i thought.

Pink to be the anchor in the goal square, corr dawson playing the interceptors' roles.

Would have thought playing excessively hurt is only going to make him compensate in other ways that lead to another injury. But I’m no doctor tbf.

That is exactly the issue. If he leaps in the air with a sore ankle and it affects his landing, he could do bigger damage. If he is constantly hobbling, his other muscles compensate and could then cause issues if they are underdeveloped.

That is exactly the issue. If he leaps in the air with a sore ankle and it affects his landing, he could do bigger damage. If he is constantly hobbling, his other muscles compensate and could then cause issues if they are underdeveloped.

Yeah, but … Wins.

I’ve lost all perspective and long term thinking. I just like this recent ‘winning’ thing that has been happening a bit and want it to continue.

Get out the sticky tape!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back