Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't help Chom out, by not playing Kal Dawson. He needs to play on the third tall, so he can make chasing the intercept as his primary focus. Suspect 1v1, but so is Darcy Moore.

I'm in the minority that wants him kept back, but think he has a higher ceiling there. He's really only had one good quarter as a forward, not sold on him as the answer up there.

We didn't help Chom out, by not playing Kal Dawson. He needs to play on the third tall, so he can make chasing the intercept as his primary focus. Suspect 1v1, but so is Darcy Moore.

I'm in the minority that wants him kept back, but think he has a higher ceiling there. He's really only had one good quarter as a forward, not sold on him as the answer up there.
Yeah he's an intercepting weapon. He's a great contested mark but does it better on his own terms, which he won't get on the forward line.

Yeah he's an intercepting weapon. He's a great contested mark but does it better on his own terms, which he won't get on the forward line.
As desperately as we need another key forward, don't think we should rob Peter to pay Paul.
Pair Chom up with Logue and Corr in the short term. Then Logue and one of the Dawsons in the longer term.

We've seen what can do down there after 1 pre-season. Imagine what he could be in 3 years, Moore and Stewart territory isn't beyond him.

As desperately as we need another key forward, don't think we should rob Peter to pay Paul.
Pair Chom up with Logue and Corr in the short term. Then Logue and one of the Dawsons in the longer term.

We've seen what can do down there after 1 pre-season. Imagine what he could be in 3 years, Moore and Stewart territory isn't beyond him.

Neither is Charlie being the best power fwd in the AFL

Neither is Charlie being the best power fwd in the AFL
Maybe he could be!
But I'm still not sold on him as a forward. Ripped the 2nd quarter apart against Carlton, but didn't do much the other 7 quarters he played forward.

Working out the long term plan for Chom, is where Clarko and Viney will earn their big bucks. Because it will determine our drafting strategy this year.
If we see Chom as a forward, then we might trade down to take Trainor. We need to draft another KPF in any case, regardless of whether he plays forward or back.

I'll put my hand up and say I couldn't have been any more wrong about him in the backline. Now I don't know where I want him. Structurally, we NEED a crash-and-bash key forward, but he's been our most brilliant defender. Then there's the potentially irrational feeling I've had that playing down back has almost provided a safety net for him.

When he went forward a few weeks back, even though I liked the move, I felt like he was once again at the mercy of his injury demons. Could easily see an ankle snapping in my mind's eye, and I just don't imagine that happening when he's down back. I don't know.

Isn't it amazing too that we have 13892 medium forwards and then **** all in the two forward categories either side of that. What's done is done, and I rate Duursma's talent, just like everyone else who is blessed with the gift of eyesight, but Nostrils could've had a point about Watson. Unless he'd have been too full of bravado to stick with our club long-term, that is. (this sentence applies to both Nostrils and Watson)

Last edited:
I'll put my hand up and say I couldn't have been any more wrong about him in the backline. Now I don't know where I want him. Structurally, we NEED a crash-and-bash key forward, but he's been our most brilliant defender. Then there's the potentially irrational feeling I've had that playing down back has almost provided a safety net for him.

When he went forward a few weeks back, even though I liked the move, I felt like he was once again at the mercy of his injury demons. Could easily see an ankle snapping in my mind's eye, and I just don't imagine that happening when he's down back. I don't know.

Isn't it amazing too that we have 13892 medium forwards and then **** all in the two forward categories either side of that. What's done is done, and I rate Duursma's talent, just like everyone else who is blessed with the gift of eyesight, but Nostrils could've had a point about Watson. Unless he'd have been too full of bravado to stick with our club long-term, that is. (this sentence applies to both Nostrils and Watson)

Corr has been our best defender though, playing on the best forward each week.

And as I have been saying, his defensive craft is just not good.

1723637698493.png

Corr has been our best defender though, playing on the best forward each week.

And as I have been saying, his defensive craft is just not good.

View attachment 2079574
Call me a weirdo, but I differentiate between 'most brilliant' and 'best.' LDU is our most brilliant player, but Sheezel has a big case for being our best. Corr has been more effective than Chom, for sure. But he hasn't provided the aerial dominance that Chom has. He's just done his job and stuck tight to his man. Valuable, but not flashy or particularly noticeable. Barrass is fourth in that list but you won't find many, if any, eagles fans who'd like him to go, even if they get a decent deal for him

Call me a weirdo, but I differentiate between 'most brilliant' and 'best.' LDU is our most brilliant player, but Sheezel has a big case for being our best. Corr has been more effective than Chom, for sure. But he hasn't provided the aerial dominance that Chom has. He's just done his job and stuck tight to his man. Valuable, but not flashy or particularly noticeable. Barrass is fourth in that list but you won't find many, if any, eagles fans who'd like him to go, even if they get a decent deal for him
I’m not sure many on our list can use their bodies as well as corr and are able to manoeuvre players under the ball. (I mean he did so well he gave mark of the year to Reid) but you get it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chom is an attacking defender. He needs other players to cover his defensive stuff so he can run off and intercept.

I’m not sure many on our list can use their bodies as well as corr and are able to manoeuvre players under the ball. (I mean he did so well he gave mark of the year to Reid) but you get it
We did the Backstreet Boys get stuck in my head after this? Not a fan, but they were very supportive of each other.

Well refreshing to hear al clarko mention Logue and how we've missed him.
And what his return allows us to do with Comben.

Liked that he chatted about Freo and what it meant to them when they had Pearce, Treacy and Darcy out. How important it is to have a strong midfield and spine.

Liked that he said when you're not on top it's important to have big targets fwd of the ball.

It is still a very simple game in many ways.

So Charlie to the fwd line in 2025, and yay!!

Liked that he chatted about Freo and what it meant to them when they had Pearce, Treacy and Darcy out. How important it is to have a strong midfield and spine.

Liked that he said when you're not on top it's important to have big targets fwd of the ball.

But i don't really like him leaping around too much knowing his injury history but he seems to have a very similar career trajectory as Trent Croad.

Both players are very versatile and can play at either end. Croad booted 42 goals in 2002 but ended up as AA defender.

Currently only larkey the genuine key forward, when are we going to recruit tilthorpe and fogarty type to be the next gen key forwards?

I think we can ink him the forward line when one is putting their 2025 line up together.

With dawson back in the team, you would think he will go back.

Combine is needed in defense as bulldogs play tall.

With dawson back in the team, you would think he will go back.

Combine is needed in defense as bulldogs play tall.

He’ll play back this week and next. That’s neither here nor there.

2025 he’ll be forward. We can all have an opinion about where we’d like him to play, but that is the reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back