Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

So while it took way too long, now his season is officially over, what a success.

After looking like he’d never play again he has got through 19 games in a row.

We’ve seen a great interceptor down back that we hadn’t seen before.

A full preseason and the skies the limit.

I’m thinking he plays forward, with longer stints in the ruck in 2025.

Training wheels are off now. It’s been half a decade of slowly slowly.

Now it’s time to deliver

A full preseason and the skies the limit.

I’m thinking he plays forward, with longer stints in the ruck in 2025.
I know we brought him in as a forward and most people see CHF as his destiny, but the way he has settled in at CHB with no previous experience and with limited preparation has me thinking that he could own that spot and if he continued to improve as he develops more experience (along with having Logue back in the side as FB so Corr can take over from LMac) the defense becomes pretty decent.

I know that we want the gaping hole at CHF filled and I strongly believe Chom is capable but if he wanted to be CHB then in my opinion, let him have it as his own!

I know we brought him in as a forward and most people see CHF as his destiny, but the way he has settled in at CHB with no previous experience and with limited preparation has me thinking that he could own that spot and if he continued to improve as he develops more experience (along with having Logue back in the side as FB so Corr can take over from LMac) the defense becomes pretty decent.

I know that we want the gaping hole at CHF filled and I strongly believe Chom is capable but if he wanted to be CHB then in my opinion, let him have it as his own!

Yeah I have gone from steadfast CHF to whatever is best for the team and Chom. But it may well be that, with our KPD more advanced than our non existent developing KPF, that Chom needs to spend 2025 at CHF as whoever we draft this year can have a year of vfl development.

Hopefully Logue and Will Dawson are both down back in 2025
Should be the two main backs going forward.

Dawson has tremendous upside and I would not be surprised if contested marking becomes a part of his game. Logue is already good in this aspect but I would love to see Dawson take on more responsibility next year.

We've already seen that our backline has been largely dysfunctional or hasn't been what the coaches want it to be. Hopefully, next year will be easy on our key defenders and we get continuity.

I still reckon Comben has more upside as a forward but could clearly see the benefit of playing back. Could be the swingman that can play both ends?

Really? Why you surprised? Chom gets routinely beaten in one v ones. He’s great as a floating across interceptor, but he’s pretty new to actually defending and it shows. He’s not alone down with blokes who can’t defend either. There’s a few of them.

Dawson has tremendous upside and I would not be surprised if contested marking becomes a part of his game. Logue is already good in this aspect but I would love to see Dawson take on more responsibility next year.

We've already seen that our backline has been largely dysfunctional or hasn't been what the coaches want it to be. Hopefully, next year will be easy on our key defenders and we get continuity.

I still reckon Comben has more upside as a forward but could clearly see the benefit of playing back. Could be the swingman that can play both ends?
Will Dawson although being the youngest player on our list , in fact youngest in the AFL (birthday end of December) screams of having a body that will put on weight / muscle very quickly .
He will be huge & a Key Position defender by 21 .

Reckon we should sign a Tom McDonald type to swap around with Chom. If Choms having a decent day forward, Tom plays back and vice versa...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Comben - Concussion/shoulder
Expected return: Post-Christmas

"Charlie's concussion symptoms resolved quite quickly, and with him not playing out the end of the season, the decision was made to undergo shoulder surgery to that joint that had caused discomfort.

"This will have Charlie in a rehab/modified training program in the pre-Christmas phase which hopefully serves as good rest and recovery after the biggest season of games he's played to date."

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - defender or forward? CC T5 in the AFL for avg.intercept marks p/game - re-signed until end of 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Back