Past #30: Jarrad Waite - will retire at end 2018 - 60 NM games/120+ NM goals - Shinboner - thanks W80

Remove this Banner Ad

Waite surely won't get 'omitted', if anything it will be a 'rested' for his 'injury'. i can't see a FA getting 'omitted' or made to play in the VFL for a week.

also, can even even get a game at werribee or the roosters? is he listed as a player there?
Omitted, injured or whatever it is, I dont care! Aslong as he is out and Maj is in

We have an interesting conundrum. Waite has been pretty well what I thought he'd be. He sits third in our leading goal kicking and has mixed genius with several WTF moments. At his age, he is what he is. I think a glossed over part of his position in the team is allowing Dish to be moved back into defence in key parts of games.

I would love to see what Daw can offer with some more trade under his belt. But can we rely on Daw and Brown to play as the two spearheads (while still early in their careers), to allow us the flexibility of dropping Dish back when needed?

Am I the only one that saw Goldstein running in with his back to Waite and an Eagles defender bearing down on him with more than enough time to catch him out had a handball made the distance and not been slowed down mid air by the wind? Am I the only one that sees that Waite is paid to score goals and was trying to put himself in a better position to score said shot and got unlucky with a bounce of the ball?

Probably.

(That's not to say he doesn't brain fart too regularly, I'm just surprised he's copped so much ire for that particular play).
I somewhat agree with you, it certainly looked a lot worse than it actually was. The problem though is that he probably should have just given the handball to Goldy straight away as he was definitely in the better position to begin with. I completely understand the approach that he's the goalkicker so he should back himself in, in fact, it's kind of a welcome change from Drew sometimes being a little too unselfish at times.

what shit me about waite on the weekend is that he looked disappointed that he wasn't the one kicking goals.

for example, the one when Ben brown dribbled it through in the third quarter and Waite was in the goal square, he half sheparded the ball and it got through. Then he looked flat after wards.

Ina game like that surely your just happy when any goal is scored. No need to be selfish

what shit me about waite on the weekend is that he looked disappointed that he wasn't the one kicking goals.

for example, the one when Ben brown dribbled it through in the third quarter and Waite was in the goal square, he half sheparded the ball and it got through. Then he looked flat after wards.

Ina game like that surely your just happy when any goal is scored. No need to be selfish

Look at Missy - he loves it when someone else scores. In fact I am loving him more and more

I thought the same thing at the time but it was soon after that that he went off the field with a groin. May have got injured as he crossed the goal line.

Just reading where they said it was a hip and he should be ok. But I think he is lazy or at best looks disinterested. Can't hurt to rest him for Maj.

Hopefully the esteemed general soreness will recruit Maj

He pretended to kick the ball after it crossed the line also.
I Don't mind Waite, i just hope he doesn't become the laughing stock of the game.
Already embarrasing to watch him more than not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the same thing at the time but it was soon after that that he went off the field with a groin. May have got injured as he crossed the goal line.
Think this is probably right, if its the goal I'm thinking of he threw a boot at it to make sure and didn't connect. It was a very unnatural movement and may have been what aggravated the hip/groin.

Let's also not forget Maj was taken off around half time in the VFL with a suspected concussion wasn't he?

I got a feeling he is trying to hard wanting to impress his team mates by kicking goals instead of just doing the basics first, maybe he feels like he doesn't belong in the team as yet.

maybe he feels like he doesn't belong in the team as yet.

I'd say this is 100% the case.

Every interview I've heard regarding the new recruits it's "Higgo has fit in really well with the team", "The boys love Shaun, he's really become a part of the playing group" etc.

But when it's about Waite it's "We all know what Jarrad brings to the table", "He adds another dimension to our forward line".

I think he's feeling the pressure to score goals, that's probably why he burnt goldy and LT. But his marking and positioning is just better than Maj.
There was a couple of two vers one contests which Waite won on the wing. Maj couldn't battle two defenders and win it to ground

Should have come out for Maj. This is my perpetual problem with selection at this club. There. Is. No. Pressure. On. Players. To. Perform. Here is a great opportunity to take an out of form player out and put an in form player in. It will send a message to Waite, but also the rest of the playing group if done consistently. He should be treated as just another player on a list. No free passes.

He has been a great pick up.

How good will he be when we have some class users back in the team.

I cant imagine how demoralising it is leading to the right spot and the having the ball kicked to your opponents advantage by a supposed AFL player.

Blokes a gun, hes been good, with those 2 shanks and a couple of other poor moments he'd be our leading goalkicker.

He is a bloody good footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #30: Jarrad Waite - will retire at end 2018 - 60 NM games/120+ NM goals - Shinboner - thanks W80

Remove this Banner Ad

Back