30 Rounds - AFL must act

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a futile argument as it is not logistically possible, especially in Melbourne. This has been pointed out multiple times in this thread but people refuse to listen (or are just plain stupid).

likka said:
It is a futile argument as it is not logistically possible, especially in Melbourne. This has been pointed out multiple times in this thread but people refuse to listen (or are just plain stupid).
At least people are trying to be proactive and try to find a structure that would make the competition fair. Your negative comments are the ones that are of no use in this ideas thread

likka said:
You are obviously a forward thinker who takes the initiative in difficult situations likka:rolleyes:

Underdog said:
At least people are trying to be proactive and try to find a structure that would make the competition fair. Your negative comments are the ones that are of no use in this ideas thread
I'm not against the concept in principle, it is just not practical for logistical reasons. Someone has to provide some realism when the title of the thread is so definitive.

Underdog said:
and that is what is being discussed/debated...abusing people dosent help
Only returning what I have been receiving. People don't like having common sense explained to them so they revert to insults.

Playin more games is not the solution, there would be too many meaningless, boring games (more so then there is now).

Under the current format of 16 teams there should be 15 rounds each year, teams play each other once and rotate home matches over 2 years.

The ultimate solution is to reduce the comp to 12 teams and have an even 22 round season.

likka said:
I'm not against the concept in principle, it is just not practical for logistical reasons. Someone has to provide some realism when the title of the thread is so definitive.

What "logistical reasons"?

As I've put to you before, we have plenty of venues, plenty of money and an audience that would love to see more footy. What are these "logistical reasons" you speak of?

Big John said:
So you want to decrease the quality of the games played,

Like this season when we had to watch the "BLOCKBUSTERS" that were Carlton Vs Essendon?

Big John said:
shorten the careers of players,

Again, if players were limited to 25 games per year, then they would play less than they do now.

Big John said:
increase spending,

Or increase the revenue. I'm sure the Kangaroos would appreciate a home game against Collingwood every year.

Big John said:
make the AFL season much tougher logistically

See above. I doubt you even know what logistically means....

Big John said:
so the comp is fair

Yeah, all that trouble and bother just to make a major sporting code "fair"...

Big John said:
even though it wouldn't change the results.

How do you know that? If Collingwood had to travel 6 times a year instead of 3 or 4, if they had harder teams twice a year rather than Richmond (at the G), Essendon (at the G) and Carlton (at the G) twice a year - it may make a difference to the result.

Big John said:
The season is 22 rounds because it enabled the teams to play each other twice AND because it would still fit within the traditional football season. An extra 2 months of footy wouldn't.

Not sure what you mean here but the reason we have a "traditional" season is because we HAD a 12 team comp (which 22 rounds suited) but we now have a 16 team comp. The AFL crap on about being proactive and innovative, how about fixing the inequities in the draw before we introduce another stupid rule.

boppa said:
Playin more games is not the solution, there would be too many meaningless, boring games (more so then there is now).

Under the current format of 16 teams there should be 15 rounds each year, teams play each other once and rotate home matches over 2 years.

The ultimate solution is to reduce the comp to 12 teams and have an even 22 round season.

you have teams at the moment who "give up" after Round 9 or 10. It is better to condense the season rather than see it go on too long.

Sir_Adrian84 said:
you have teams at the moment who "give up" after Round 9 or 10. It is better to condense the season rather than see it go on too long.

That's always going to happen.

A team who is 1-6 will give up in a 15 round season just as much as a team will give up if they are 5-15.

Next poor excuse......

Frankston Rover said:
That's always going to happen.

A team who is 1-6 will give up in a 15 round season just as much as a team will give up if they are 5-15.

Next poor excuse......

I would say that crowds in a 30 round season would be lower in total than in a 22 round season.

Clubs would have increased expenses and with a longer season the lists would have to increase creating more expense for clubs that are already hanging on by a thread.

boppa said:
I would say that crowds in a 30 round season would be lower in total than in a 22 round season.

I beg to differ. You would still have all the blockbusters, derbys and showdowns AND games against other clubs too!!!

boppa said:
Clubs would have increased expenses and with a longer season the lists would have to increase creating more expense for clubs that are already hanging on by a thread.

Considering most struggling clubs are getting about $8,000,000+ next season from the AFL, I'm sure they will manage. Hell, membership may even go up if you knew you could watch your team 15 times at their home venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the some of the people who want 30 rounds (8 extra AFL rounds) might be the same people who dont want IR because of the chance of injuries?

If we went to 30 rounds, teams would start purposely resting players during the year to avoid injury/burn-out, which would downgrade the level of games.

CatmanForever said:
not bad...also extend the interchange bench to 8 players so players fitness can be managed better.

Shortening games and adding players to the interchange bench would speed the game up incredibly.
Ultra fast and hard games will lead to far more injuries than currently incurred.

Adding players to the team.... bench consisting of eight players???
26 players per team 16 teams for a total of 416 players playing each round.

Better off using those players to run 20 teams with 21 players per team. Play 20 games a year, each year alternating home or away against every side.

Lets take the game to the people.

Or get the preseason (night series) more credibility make it last 8 weeks with a geniune round robin/pool setup throwing some serious cash to the winners then play a 15 round season where every team plays every other side once.

Frankston Rover said:
In the interests of fairness and credibility for the competition surely the AFL must go to a 30 round H&A season.

Every other major sporting code play home and away.

The EPL play 38 rounds, 19 home games and 19 away games.

Rather than have the useless and pointless NAB Cup, get rid of it and make it an even unbiased competition.

This way there can be no doubt about the fairness of the draw.

scrap 2 sides, make it 14 team comp and play 26 rd season.

but no one wants to lose their side understandably - but if we were starting from scratch I think that would be ideal.

as an eagles supporter the downside of a longer season is more travel for our boys which isn't exactly ideal.

Frankston Rover said:
What does this mean, "Stick to the system that works"?

It only "works" because it hasn't changed in 30 years.

In that time we have had the competition go from 12 teams to 16.

11 other teams x 2 (home and away) = 22 rounds.

So in the old days clubs played every club twice. That works.
That ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE.

Wow, who would have thought that the VFL would pick 22 rounds when there were 12 teams. :rolleyes:

Now we have 16 teams and not every team plays each other twice. We now have "blockbusters", derbys and Showdowns - so we end up with an unfair draw.

And if you defend it, you are an ignorant fool.

Can anyone explain WHY we have 22 rounds other than the fact it allowed each team to play twice in the old VFL?

Why is it not the case now then? WHY can't we play each team twice.

No mate if you bitch and moan about an unfair draw then you are weak as piss... So what if some teams only play each other once in a season? What do you mean by "unfair"? Its just a poor excuse, do you seriously think the draw would've impacted on Essendon's 2000 season?? Its just a futile argument, think of something else to talk about like how your team can improve

Smyth94 said:
No mate if you bitch and moan about an unfair draw then you are weak as piss... So what if some teams only play each other once in a season? What do you mean by "unfair"? Its just a poor excuse, do you seriously think the draw would've impacted on Essendon's 2000 season?? Its just a futile argument, think of something else to talk about like how your team can improve
NO MATE....for Collingwood and Essendon supporters to moan the the 22 rounds is fair, either you are dumb as dogsh1t, ignorant or apathetic because you get a rigged draw!

Doctor Jolly said:
I wonder if the some of the people who want 30 rounds (8 extra AFL rounds) might be the same people who dont want IR because of the chance of injuries?

If we went to 30 rounds, teams would start purposely resting players during the year to avoid injury/burn-out, which would downgrade the level of games.

plus considering the season will begin in early February (when cricket is still being played). There will be heaps of games on at night, inclduing midweek and everyone knows how well 2000 went when round one had matches on Wed Night, Thursday Night, Sunday Night etc.

Smyth94 said:

What excuse am I making? I'm not saying Hawthorn specifically, I'm saying as a competition, to be fair to all clubs, each side should play each other twice.

Essendon may have still won the flag in 2000 but I'm not talking about the past history of the game. I'm saying, going forward, we need a competition that is fair. How can you say that it's a "poor excuse" for clubs when Collingwood, Essendon and St Kilda get 17 or 18 games in Victoria, with the Pies playing 15 at the MCG and St Kilda a similar amount at Telstra Dome yet West Coast only get 11 "home" games in Perth and 12 in total? Hawthorn get 8 games at the MCG - TOTAL and when we play Collingwood it's at the TD.

If the competition was 30 rounds all teams would have to travel more but at least clubs like Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton would know what it feels like to travel. Interstate clubs at present travel around 10 rounds per year. In a 30 round season, this would only increase to 14.

But for Victorian clubs, it would mean ALL clubs will do the same amount of miles, travelling 6 times per year. And if every club has the same draw, what is the problem there?

As I said earlier, the AFL pumps itself up an an innovative and progressive competition but one of the fundamentals of any competition is fairness. They claim they want an even competition yet when it comes to the draw, it will never be fair.

Sir_Adrian84 said:
plus considering the season will begin in early February (when cricket is still being played). There will be heaps of games on at night, inclduing midweek and everyone knows how well 2000 went when round one had matches on Wed Night, Thursday Night, Sunday Night etc.

Like I (again) said earlier, if we started the competition the first weekend in March the Grand Final would have been played last Saturday. Hardly encroaching into cricket season that much.

likka said:
No we don't. Re-read the thread.

Yes we do. You re read the thread.

As I said earlier (AGAIN), we have Subiaco, Football Park, Telstra Dome, Aurora Stadium, Telstra Stadium and Carrara all available in March and October. The bigger drawing games are then scheduled for mid season and some of the lower drawing games are played early March.

Is that hard to understand? We managed OK this year without the 'G for a month thanks to the Com Games. And I'm sure the MCC would love to host 14 or so more games a year. Because do you know what? Guess how many ACB/VCA cricket matches have been played at the MCG in October? NONE. They don't play their first match until the 12th of November. So would the MCC prefer it empty or to play a few extra games of AFL?

And if we'd played the Grand Final on Saturday, it would still give the MCC 2 weeks to prepare the ground for the Domestic Cricket Season.

Another myth blown apart....

Frankston Rover said:
What excuse am I making? I'm not saying Hawthorn specifically, I'm saying as a competition, to be fair to all clubs, each side should play each other twice.

Essendon may have still won the flag in 2000 but I'm not talking about the past history of the game. I'm saying, going forward, we need a competition that is fair. How can you say that it's a "poor excuse" for clubs when Collingwood, Essendon and St Kilda get 17 or 18 games in Victoria, with the Pies playing 15 at the MCG and St Kilda a similar amount at Telstra Dome yet West Coast only get 11 "home" games in Perth and 12 in total? Hawthorn get 8 games at the MCG - TOTAL and when we play Collingwood it's at the TD.

Fair in what manner? The fact that teams like Hawthorn, St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs etc don't get a greater share of the financial pie? Is that what you are moaning about? I agree that the AFL needs to distribute money from blockbuster games i.e. Essendon vs Collingwood to other Victorian clubs, in that sense the draw is unfair but in footballing terms you name me one club that has won the premiership BECAUSE of a favourable H&A draw? I agree the OLD FINALS system was flawed and allowed teams from the bottom half of the 8 stay in, if the top 3 teams won. Like I said above, tell me which premier has not deserved their premiership, which premier has won the flag on the back of such AN EASY draw - it dosn't seem to help Carlton and Essendon, gee I wonder where those two teams finished on the ladder.. Or Collingwood for that matter.

A 30 game season is far too long.. Sure the AFL could base their draws on the standings of the previous season, say making it hardest for the premiers and then easier for the bottom teams, but that means your success is getting punished and mediocrity is being rewarded

I'm all against the extension of the season, for all the same 'voice of reason' comments others have made. Like the previous post. But a lot of credit to all those who've shown up the flaws in an extended season.

Perhaps a better idea as many have suggested is a shortened season....with the idea that crowds would increase on average. Thinking about it, there would be a chance of that IMO. Memberships would go down in price too.

What do you guys think?

g.g. said:
I'm all against the extension of the season, for all the same 'voice of reason' comments others have made. Like the previous post. But a lot of credit to all those who've shown up the flaws in an extended season.

Perhaps a better idea as many have suggested is a shortened season....with the idea that crowds would increase on average. Thinking about it, there would be a chance of that IMO. Memberships would go down in price too.

What do you guys think?

With 15 rounds, there would be 7 or 8 home games per side, so average crowds could increase and if memberships decrease, more meberships could be sold, thus leading to the possibility of higher base crowds with members + general admission.

Maybe with 15 rounds, matches could be increased to 25 minute quarters plus time-on.

create 2 division with 8 teams each, using whetever criteria

each team plays the others within their division twice, & play teams within the other division once.

at the end of each home & away season the bottom 1,2, 3 or 4 teams from each division are transfered to the other division for the following season. finals matchups remain as they are.

this may create headaches for the afl regards blockbuster matchups, but its time we moved on from having certain teams being guaranteed to play each other twice each season.

as fair as it can get without playing each other twice.

mdunn27 said:
!!!!

How many do you think? 5

Run the season from Feb to November?

:thumbsu:
2 or 3 of them would be enough. Thats the start of March to mid October. It's not like we will ever have 30 rounds anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

30 Rounds - AFL must act

Remove this Banner Ad

Back